AVIC411.com

playing around in "test mode"

Well it looks like crap - I should have used my DSLR instead of blackberry to get the picture. But I created a text file and copied it to the SD card, then copied THAT to the "My Flash Drive". I also created a new folder in "My Flash Drive" then deleted it.

So its not locked.

post-20676-1287275471674_thumb.jpg

post-20676-12872754717358_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you guys can help me with the following;

I have no option for TTS, but this error occurred prior to the update. Upon initial startup after installation I had the option for Samantha – TTS, but chose Jason instead. When I went back to change to Samantha and she was gone along with all other TTS options. I have reset the system every way listed in the book with no luck. I did notice that in the lower right hand corner there is an option to setup TTS, but it only searches the USB and SD card for the files. I was hoping the update would solve this issue. The files are still on the system under “My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\ScanSoft\RealSpeakSolo\SPEECH\components†(I love that the update exposed WinCE). I have even tried copying the Samantha files to the SD and use the setup TTS option, but it does not recognize them.

In the sys file found at “My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo†I found this line “tts_nuance="\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\ScanSoft\RealSpeakSolo"†under [folders]. In this folder there are no files present just the folder labeled SPEECH. I would like to know if the people that still have the TTS option show anything different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And can anyone recomend a good ISO maker that will run in WinCE?

They are actually Flash ROMs and can be written to.

Yes, obviously with the update last night I know they can be written to. I even specifically without using their Flash ROM writer all you can do is pull stuff off the flash, not write to it. Please reread my comment above

Have you tried?

Not that I would recommend modifying the system, but I have a hard time believe that it is not writeable. It is no more Read Only than the SD card you insert for the update. They are all Flash ROMs.

It shows up in My Computer as a standard drive from what I recall.

How about this. How about YOU try.

You're missing the point and getting hung up that I keep calling it an unwriteable Flash ROM. It's unwriteable until we can figure out a way to use the white/blue screen updater. Once it boots up it's locked. You've obviously never done this before concerning WinCE devices/GPSs. Start reading up on gpspassion.com please.

LOL I *so* won this e-fight and I never got my concession hehe.

I do wish I had this on a bench next to a laptop with Visual Studio - it would be fun to tinker with.

But considering I don't, and the cost... Im gonna leave it be.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Pioneer accidentally allowed us into the 'guts' of the unit with their initial firmware update. That one had the 'Testmode' and 'MiTACAP' folders which are the only way I know of to boot into WinCE. Notice that the updated firmware release (the one currently at the Pioneer website) does NOT include these files... :shock:

I decided to play around with the WinCE interface tonight. I didn't make any changes yet, but I thought you guys might want to see some of the info in the WinCE Control Panel. I stuck a bunch of pictures HERE.

Also, I transferred the entire contents of the flash disk to my computer (via SD card). I've attached an Excel spreadsheet (in the zip file) listing the folders and files on the flash disk, if anyone is interested. A quick 'properties' shows that the flash disk has 1095 files in 55 folders, and these files take up 1.64Gb of space.

Now, where to start hacking?... :wink:

-Eric

FlashDiskContents.zip

seeing as how the second update did not have these folders to allow access to CE, can you zip them up for me and post them as an attachment? I would love to be able to go into there and start poking around and see what can and cant be changed. I love a challenge and this HU would definatly need some improvement..

TIA

I think Pioneer accidentally allowed us into the 'guts' of the unit with their initial firmware update. That one had the 'Testmode' and 'MiTACAP' folders which are the only way I know of to boot into WinCE. Notice that the updated firmware release (the one currently at the Pioneer website) does NOT include these files... :shock:

I decided to play around with the WinCE interface tonight. I didn't make any changes yet, but I thought you guys might want to see some of the info in the WinCE Control Panel. I stuck a bunch of pictures HERE.

Also, I transferred the entire contents of the flash disk to my computer (via SD card). I've attached an Excel spreadsheet (in the zip file) listing the folders and files on the flash disk, if anyone is interested. A quick 'properties' shows that the flash disk has 1095 files in 55 folders, and these files take up 1.64Gb of space.

Now, where to start hacking?... :wink:

-Eric

seeing as how the second update did not have these folders to allow access to CE, can you zip them up for me and post them as an attachment? I would love to be able to go into there and start poking around and see what can and cant be changed. I love a challenge and this HU would definatly need some improvement..

Here ya go!

• [*:3m3wt3qn]Put these 2 folders on the root of an SD card
    [*:3m3wt3qn]Insert the card in the AVIC with power off
    [*:3m3wt3qn]Turn on the power and let it boot
    [*:3m3wt3qn]It will copy a few files. These should be the same as on the current update
    [*:3m3wt3qn]Close the "OK screen to see the WinCE desktop. Since the close button is in the top corner, I find it's easier to drag the screen down and to the left (use the bar at the top like a normal window). A stylus works best for navigating the screen.
    [*:3m3wt3qn]Have fun!... :wink:

-Eric

P.S. Don't blame me if you brick your unit... :P

Testmode.zip

Things are looking promising!

I'm not very good at explaining things, so excuse my 'rambling'... ;)

The original setup gives you 3 prompts for a standard turn. For example, "Prepare to turn right in 1/2 a mile... Prepare to turn right in 1/4 mile...Take the next right". I decided to try to eliminate the prompt in the middle. From what I can tell, this is triggered by the line starting with "300". I just went ahead and deleted every line that started with "300". Sure enough, she no longer gives that prompt! Everything else still works fine. One problem with deleting ALL the lines starting with "300" though. If I approach a turn where I need to make a left, then an immediate right, she fails to give the "then turn right" prompt, and I also don't get the "Take the next right" after I've made the left. I think I'm going to have to remove only SOME of the "300" lines.

I will have to experiment with changing some of the other parameters. So far, I'm pretty sure of a few things:

• [*:166vjb7k]The beginning number is the current distance to the maneuver. The value is in thousandths of a mile (e.g. 1000 = 1 mile, 500 = 1/2 mile, etc... This determines when the prompt is triggered.
    [*:166vjb7k]The "minsilence=x" is the minimum amount of time (in seconds) that must pass since the last prompt, before the current prompt can be triggered
    [*:166vjb7k]"X" is the number of streets you'll pass before the maneuver (The nav determines the value of X). The maneuver is included in this count, so is X has a value greater than 1 (X>1) she will say "Take the 2nd (3rd, etc.) left/right". In the "vocal" column, the %X dictates what she says (e.g. X=2, say "Second", X=3, say "Third")
    [*:166vjb7k]The value of "*" in "%*" tells her to say "right" or "left"

I did try to make her say "circle" instead of "roundabout" with no luck. I though that replacing "Enter the roundabout roundabout, roundabout" with "Enter the circle circle, circle" might get her to say "circle", but it didn't work. When I went to a local traffic circle to test it, she just said nothing. I didn't crash or lockup the system though, it continued with normal prompts on my way back home.

Tips for experimenting on your own:

• [*:166vjb7k]Use Windows Notepad to edit the .csv file, then just save it. Excel will add its own format to the file and make it useless
    [*:166vjb7k]Remember to re-zip the "config" folder and the 4 other files (The 2 flag bitmaps, content.nng, and info.ini), and name it "Voice_TTS-nua-eng-us-f1.zip"
    [*:166vjb7k]I didn't have any luck using the settings menu to load the new zip file. It continued to use the original for some reason. I ended up just transferring it with WinCE
    [*:166vjb7k]There is no need to reload the language file after it has been copied back to the AVIC. A regular reboot will load it fine. I guess the system unzips the file during boot (no wonder why the boot time is long... :roll:)

Steps to transfer the file to the AVIC (unless you can figure out an easier method):

• [*:166vjb7k]Make sure you have a backup of the original "Voice_TTS-nua-eng-us-f1.zip" in case you need to reinstall it!
    [*:166vjb7k]Put the Testmode and MiTACAP folders, along with your edited .zip file on the SD card
    [*:166vjb7k]Insert the SD card and turn on the car
    [*:166vjb7k]After it has finished, click the Start menu and select "Programs, Windows Explorer"
    [*:166vjb7k]Open your SD card folder (double-click, or select, then "File-->Open")
    [*:166vjb7k]Select the zip file, then "Edit-->Copy"
    [*:166vjb7k]Navigate to the "APL2\iGo\CONTENT\VOICE" folder on the flash disk
    [*:166vjb7k]Select "File-->Paste", and choose "Yes" to overwrite the existing one
    [*:166vjb7k]Remove the SD card and reboot

Hopefully, I haven't been too confusing. I think if we put our heads together, we can make this thing work the way WE want it to, instead of how Pioneer THINKS we want it to... 8)

IMPORTANT! - Use my instructions at your own risk! I am not responsible for any errors

Have fun!

-Eric

thanks for the zip file with the first update.

now that i live in the eu i'm not sure if we can use this on our hu.

looking at the language files they are english us, french can and spanish mex. :?

any one tried this? or has advise?

thx,

bt

Well i've been messing with this testmode and the firmware update files, I tried to remove the audio files that were in LPUE080\APL2\iGo\data.zip

I edited all the annoying beeps to basically blank audio files and i deleted the original file from the headunit then copied the one i saved from my sd card.... well i thought all went well but i rebooted the unit and the sounds were still there so i need to look around more in testmode see what else i can find :/

Well i've been messing with this testmode and the firmware update files, I tried to remove the audio files that were in LPUE080\APL2\iGo\data.zip

I edited all the annoying beeps to basically blank audio files and i deleted the original file from the headunit then copied the one i saved from my sd card.... well i thought all went well but i rebooted the unit and the sounds were still there so i need to look around more in testmode see what else i can find :/

if you can replace them with blanks, is it possible to replace them with a different sound?

digging through the update files i came across the pioneer.ini file.

there is a part in it:

[pioneer]

parking_break_speed=16.0

hide_logos=1

not sure what you can do with this but if it's mph just wondering what happened if you change it to 160.0

digging through the update files i came across the pioneer.ini file.

there is a part in it:

[pioneer]

parking_break_speed=16.0

hide_logos=1

not sure what you can do with this but if it's mph just wondering what happened if you change it to 160.0

Yea I also saw that and didnt know what it did, also yes I believe we could change the audio files on it but i cant get the headunit to use the new files i copied over, there might be another folder it installs them to :/ i'm not sure yet

One thing that happened when i copied the new data.zip over, when i restarted the headunit it was like running really slow... the startup box never disappeared after 3 minutes so i went back into testmode and deleted the data.zip i made and copied the old one back.. i'll try some other things later