AVIC411.com

playing around in "test mode"

hmm i would of posted this earlier but i seem to be having very slow loading on this site... oh well anyway I have the US f90bt model, and i think what we really need todo is figure out how to make the headunit flash the firmware whenever we want.... I tried to edit the files to have it labeled as a newer firmware but it didnt work :(

We need to figure out how the headunit knows what the firmware version is.... wish i had an older firmware update to compare too

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what headunit do you have, the us or the eu version?

i still don't know how to get the eu headunit in test mode since i don't want to try and run those us testmode files over my eu headunit.

Don't be scared to try the testunit files they shouldnt matter at all... i'm 99% sure it will load wince like on the US one, just try it nothing bad should happen

Is it known what part of the testmode files triggers the HU to go into WinCE mode? When I look at the files, it looks like all the important stuff is in the \Testmode directory. There's two zero-byte files that are perhaps function codes? Maybe the numbers mean something to the unit, like when it finds those filenames they tell it to do something?

The nntestmode.exe seems to just be hardcoded to check something on the card and check something on the internal flash; the file CopyTool.exe appears to be just a program to get explorer to copy \Storage Card\MiTACAP\* to somewhere...

The reason I'm wondering, is I'd feel more comfortable with a way to get the unit to go into WinCE mode without copying files around, that I don't know what exactly is happening.

well after looking at copytool.exe and the nntestmode.exe heres some info i pulled from them

\ W I N D O W S \ e x p l o r e r . e x e f i l e c o p y i n g . . . M y f l a s h d i s k \ S t o r a g e C a r d \ M i t a c A P \ *

E r r o r C a n n o t f i n d \ S t o r a g e C a r d \ T e s t M o d e \ C o p y T o o l . e x e \ S t o r a g e C a r d \ T e s t M o d e \ C o p y T o o l . e x e

so basically the nntestmode.exe uses the copytool.exe and the copytool just copies the MiTACAP folder somewhere.... so you need both folders to boot into test mode, i dont know if you need every file in them yet but i know you need \Storage Card\MiTACAP\APL2\iGo\content\MapDBInfo.txt as that line is pulled from NNtestmode.exe

tried to run that testmode update without those 6 zip files but with the (empty) folders lang & voice.

i got a very small (6 windows) window with an error message while booting. the box doesn't run further had to turn off the ignition. i guess that this is because of those 6 missing files?

i didn't had my mobile with me to make a picture.

i'm now downloading the us update to compare it with the eu update & testmode update. i'm still not convinced to just run the testmode update on a eu headunit.

ok, tried the full testmode update on my headunit and it gives me the same window

MapDBinfo:0x100 <=> Device:0x0010

AU: 0x0001

EW: 0x0010

RE: 0x0100

UC: 0x1000

is the message on that window :(

MapDBinfo:0x100 <=> Device:0x0010

is the message on that window :(

I'd guess that it is refusing to proceed because it knows the device is an EW (European) and the MapDBInfo.txt file on the SD card is an UC (USA & Canada) file... AU is Australia I think, and no idea what RE is. You might be able to bypass this by changing the contents of that MapDBInfo file from UC to EW, but then you still have the problem that it's going to copy those files somewhere...

I'll try removing the CopyTool.exe and see what happens.

got it working!!! :D

i changed the value in MapDBInfo.txt

Area: EW

IntegrationVersion: 01.000600

BaseContents: content_v142

lang: lang_data_download_080630

voice: voice_data_download_080707

i also removed those 3 files from lang and those 3 files from voice. so there is no need to have them (copy them) on your sd card. 8)

now i have a full wince desktop. you indeed need a stylus since the resolution is high, menu's and buttons are small.

Cool! I just finished my own experiments, and it seems that both those exe's are required: NNtestmode.exe verifies the region info then launches CopyTool.exe and CopyTool.exe is needed because it is what launches explorer.exe -- that's why, without copytool WinCE was not accessable - there was no shell being launched.

That's great news that it's safe to remove the lang and voice files; that leaves nothing really for copytool to actually copy (other than the txt file).

Sounds like that makes it a safe way to get into WinCE. I'm utterly hopeless with Windows programming but I wonder if it would be even possible for someone to make a small executable that simply launches explorer directly? Then the MiTAGO directory could be eliminated entirely.

• 1 month later...

im getting the same problem as bitman;

MapDBinfo:0x100 <=> Device:0x1000

the only difference is that im pretty sure mine is a usa version judging by the device number and yet when i change it to UC in the mapdbinfo file i still get the same error? any help would be appreciated