AVIC411.com

TTS for SMS message?

I see the manual states the following on page 59: "If the voice language with the TTS is currently used, the audible message can be output".

It seems somewhat vague to me... what does this mean, and how is it activated? If I have Samantha as the TTS option selected, is she supposed to automatically read the incoming text, or is she just supposed to announce there is a new message and who it is from?

Either way, it doesn't work for me. If I get a text message from my contacts they all show up as from "unknown" anyway.

On a side note, post update, I am still unable to dial by saying the name, only by number.

I have an F700 with the update installed, and am pairing it up with a motorola V3t.

I think this feature only works with one phone model on the entire planet. I haven't heard from anyone that it actually works for them. I know it doesn't on either my wifes phone (Nokia N82) or mine (Nokia 6620).

So Series 60 v 2 and 3 is a no go.

• 1 month later...

reagrding dialing by name, what cell carrier are you on? Mine is Verizon with a K1m Krzr, and I can call by contact name, but the F series added "general" to several of my home and work numbers for contacts. So I have to say "Johnny general" to call Johnny. I also found if I said call "Johnny" instead of call "Johnny at work", it would sometimes give me a list of numbers for Johnny to pick from..

• 1 month later...

SMS over Bluetooth must be supported on the Phone.

Here is the list of Phones supported on the Kenwood 8120 (which I have) which supports SMS TTS. I can only assume that since Parrot does the BT for Kenwood, the same phones *should* have the same available features for the Pioneer. As you can see, only a select few support it. A couple Nokia, Samsung, and Sony Ericsson sets work for text support. Hopefully with more factory systems coming out with TTS SMS (The 09 Ford Sync/MyGig), more carriers will enable this feature.

http://www.kenwood.com/bt/information/pdf/BT200_08MM_ver160.pdf

• 2 weeks later...