AVIC411.com

After-Market Warranties??!!

I see that a lot of people on here post warranty issues or questions on different topics, so I thought it should have its own sticky. I'm interested to see who's bought an after-market warranty and if they have gone through them to fix a problem to see how legit they are...
I have to admit, I bought a 5 year extension for a warranty named "my repair tech" which most websites offer, it looked pretty convincing: [url=http://www.myrepairtech.com]www.myrepairtech.com[/url]
They claim to have dealers everywhere (one close to my house) and clean your unit once a year for free with no deductibles at all.
however, I guess I won't know how legit they are until I have a problem with my Z1.... :?
[quote name="lcstyle"]i dont really think these things are warranties of any sort.. I think they should be classified as "service plans". My 2 cents, i could be wrong.[/quote]

Thats exactly what they are called. If you read any of these service plans they will tell you they are NOT warranties. They ARE service plans.

-Litos
[quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]Can one purchase a contract straight through Repairtech? I didn't see that option on their website. The only thing I saw was an option to "register your warranty" that required a "warranty or membership number".[/quote]

No, you can only get it through an "authorized dealer". That's how the dealers make their money, they sell it for different prices... I bough a 5 year extension for $199.00, and most websites sell a 3 year extension for like $399.00... look into the prices b/c they are all the same service plan, so you shoudln't have to pay more.
[quote name="silicuda"]Do these after market warranties cover me if I get the N3 and remove the sticker and switch the switch?

Thanks[/quote]

I don't think so, You have to buy your service plan at the same time with ur product and register the warranty within 30 days.
[quote]

No, you can only get it through an "authorized dealer". That's how the dealers make their money, they sell it for different prices... I bough a 5 year extension for $199.00, and most websites sell a 3 year extension for like $399.00... look into the prices b/c they are all the same service plan, so you shoudln't have to pay more.[/quote]

So are there any available for those who purchase from non-authorized dealerships? If so, any suggestions and/or links?
well I looked at the site and did a shop locator their were few repair shops here but what I don't get, they were all T.V. repair facility what would a tv repair place know about navi units harddrives I dont know about you guys but I wouldnt send my deck to tv repair.
thats my .02

grcplaya
well they claim that if they can't fix it, they'll replace it... so idk... the ones around my house are stereo shops, but still, i dont think they know how to fix navis..
still, i have a little peace of mind that if it ever goes bad, which it probably will with a complex system like that, i will hopefully get it replaced. I paid too much for the system to just have a 1 yr man warranty.