AVIC411.com

Hi,

I finally got the F900 unit but i dont have the iPod cable for it. I was wondering if the iPod cable is plugged at the back or at the front. I need to know this so that I can find out if I should be looking for the cable first or can I go ahead and install the unit and then go look for the cable.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

The RCA connectors attach to the RCA connectors on the pigtail and the USB connector connects to the USB cable, that pigtain comes out of the back of the unit.

I did not have the iPod cable when I got the unit, I just kept the RCA and the USB connectors in reach below the radio so that installation would be a breeze.

The Pioneer cable does work for video with my ipod classic as the Apple composite cable does. However, looking at the Pioneer cable, I can almost assure it does NOT have any chip in the connector to allow for video. My Kenwood worked for video and it did not have a chip as well.

The Pioneer cable does work for video with my ipod classic as the Apple composite cable does. However, looking at the Pioneer cable, I can almost assure it does NOT have any chip in the connector to allow for video. My Kenwood worked for video and it did not have a chip as well.

So probably no video from a Touch or iPhone? I see you have an iPhone; have you tried video out from it on the F?

the ipod classic outputs video and audio just fine to the f700bt..

however, i've been having issues of the AVIC recognizing the Ipod.. sometimes it begins loading. and splashes the pioneer logo on the ipod screen and then just quits.

ALSO

I can't believe that the audio is piped over RCA for the mp3's ... the whole point of the ipod cable initially is to have a digital audio connection for music.. the audio for your video however will be piped over the RCA's..

in my theory...

if anyone else knows otherwise or wants to test.... or have tested.. please post.

***because if you were to hook up an ipod via a standard ipod cable.. it would still play music.. which shows that the data cable to USB alone will transfer audio

the ipod classic outputs video and audio just fine to the f700bt..

however, i've been having issues of the AVIC recognizing the Ipod.. sometimes it begins loading. and splashes the pioneer logo on the ipod screen and then just quits.

ALSO

I can't believe that the audio is piped over RCA for the mp3's ... the whole point of the ipod cable initially is to have a digital audio connection for music.. the audio for your video however will be piped over the RCA's..

in my theory...

if anyone else knows otherwise or wants to test.... or have tested.. please post.

***because if you were to hook up an ipod via a standard ipod cable.. it would still play music.. which shows that the data cable to USB alone will transfer audio

No iPod / car interface outputs digital audio to the head unit. The iPod doesn't output PCM audio. All head units, sound docks (car and home) use the line out pins from the dock connector to output sound. The USB interface is just for iPod control.

The iPod has to play the files (ITMS DRM compatibility) as the iPod does not function as a mass storage device, in terms of how music is stored on it.

so in theory.. sound quality would be cleaner off the SD card..

Yes, in theory it would be... but it's not going to be enough of a difference to notice, especially in a car... which is about the worst environment for reproducing music possible.

No iPod / car interface outputs digital audio to the head unit. The iPod doesn't output PCM audio. All head units, sound docks (car and home) use the line out pins from the dock connector to output sound. The USB interface is just for iPod control.

The iPod has to play the files (ITMS DRM compatibility) as the iPod does not function as a mass storage device, in terms of how music is stored on it.

Not exactly true. The iPod does have some way to output PCM audio.

Some car stereos (i.e. JVC) only require a standard iPod USB cable to be connected to the HU with no other analog cabling required.

I believe this only works on iPod 5G and newer.