AVIC411.com

external hard drive

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD cards, the manual says it's limited to 8GB. But there are some people who use a 16GB card with no problems... so really, there's no way to know for sure if something will work or not until you try.

As for chriso... that goes for the USB port as well. The manual says 2GB max... but that doesn't mean something bigger won't work. You've just got to try it and see.

Just make sure your format the drive to FAT32 before you try it. Most hard drives designed for windows PC's will be formated in NTFS which the F series cannot read. This is probably the reason many people can not get it to work. I would try it myself but all my hard drives are HFS+. Every once in a while having a mac can be annoying. :lol:

I have a Western Digital WD Elements 500G PnP USB drive. I put about 15gigs or so of mp3's on there, and it ran fine. It took about 3 or 4 minutes for the F900 to find it though.

I have only run this drive straight out of the box- I never had to format it. It's only been used with XP and ubuntu. It's at my office right now- I'll have to look at it to see how it's set up.

Interesting though. I wish I could power it with 12 volts. I had to use an inverter...

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 32 Gb pen drive. (of course FAT32 format)

95% of the time, it doesn't recognize the Pen Drive, and when it does, it show it as empty.

I got a cheap 1 Gb (FAT16 format), and it was recognized immediately.

So I would say, it can only read FAT16 formatted USB drive... knowing FAT16 format can only goes up to 2Gb (which makes it the limit of the Avic USB connection).

I bought the F900BT mainly for this USB connection, thinking I would be able to connect my portable 80Gb hard drive... i feel cheated.

Also Pioneer claim the got the best Product 2008-2009 from EISA Award, with many theoretical functions... but most of their functions are missing on the European version of the F900BT...

(Where is the Navgate Feed Program ?? it seems not even released!)

It says right in the manual that the largest USB drive you can use is 2GB. You weren't cheated because Pioneer never promised you that an 80GB hard drive would work on the unit. You just assumed it would.

I believe the Navgate Feeds program is just about out over there. IIRC somebody showed that they already had the download page up but the link for the download wasn't operational yet.

As I said earlier, I got my 500G drive to work, with only about 5G's of music on it.

I took it out, and added all of my mp3's on it (about 20G's) and a couple of mpg's (DIVX) and tried it again. This time IT DID NOT WORK.

I have not tried to take the video off and see if that changes things, but I will one day. Also, I added music after I had music already on it. I am thinking that you may need to start clean every time, since I am having this other problem (below)

I have a Kingston 8G Thumb Drive (Datatraveler) and it's worked fine all along, until I filled it up (there is 305mb free). Now, it still works, but I have to unplug it and plug it back in AFTER the system boots up to get it to find it. Before I filled it up, I would jump in my car, and after about 20 seconds it would start playing.

The 500G drive is NTFS- It will not let me re-format to anything else.

The 8G thumb drive is FAT 32

My 2G SD card is FAT

BTW: My 2G SD card is a Micro SD. I have read in other posts that some are having problems with micro SD- some just reading music, others trying to update. I can do both with no problems. I currently have my Micro SD set up to boot Win CE- with no problems.

The SD card is Ativa, and it's connected to a micro to SD adapter.

I mess with it more and see if there is a pattern to copying items to make it more reliable...