AVIC411.com

external hard drive

My ADATA 2Gig MicroSD with adapter works perfectly for updates and mp3's. Video is a little jittery, but watchable.

My 60Gig WD Passport USB drive will not work. I've been "eyeing" the little 5V hole for an AC adapter... :twisted: ... I already have a inverter I can run, if I have to. (Lots of good stuff on that drive... :wink: )

My generic USB thumbdrive is too slow for video... :(

My Kingston drive plays sound, but no video. I think I'll be trying some other files of a different codec...It may work.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says right in the manual that the largest USB drive you can use is 2GB.

Can you please show me on the european site where is this limit written ?

Cause i see there (ex : http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/1 ... specs.html ) they talk about USB connectivity, WITHOUT any asterisk or mention of ANY limit in capacity... (honest advertising would add at least a tiny asterisk where you could read at the bottom of the page in very small font "* up to 2Gb".)

How about SD cards ? can i "assume" it will work with a 32 Gb ?

Well HiFiS, as you said above, "there's no way to know for sure if something will work or not".

Well, Customers should be informed CLEARLY (and not try out by themselves!) about the REAL capacity of the product. Pioneer should definitely improve this area.

Then I find myself looking out for all those informations... and then i realise the F900BT package lack a real COMPLETE manual.

The only manual I could find is just a tiny very basic operation guide. (less than 2 pages with lots of pictures).

Can you tell me how do i update the Radar Database ? (i GUESS i'll know when my registration on the website will be confirmed...but I don't think a user should "guess" stuff).

How do you add TTS Voices ? (I could find the button "ADD TTS" on the F900BT, but where is written where i can get those from ?

Well if you go to that link (the one you posted) and click on the "Support and Media" tab, click on the "Find manuals for AVIC-F900BT" link, it will bring up a list of user's manual in many different languages, one of which is an English version of the user's manual which is 172 pages long. On page 168 you will find where it says the USB will only support 2GB (FAT16 and FAT32) and the SD card will support 8GB (FAT16 and FAT32). I'm sure most of the other things you are talking about are also in that manual.

• 1 month later...

Ok- so I've had a little time to play with my hard drive, and got some more info.

Last time I tried to use it, I copied all of my mp3's to it, and it would not work.

Today, I reformatted it to FAT32 (using GParted), and then copied 7Gb of music to it. It worked fine. I then copied another 8GB to it, and it still worked.

I took it out and copied another 15Gb of music to it, and now it will not show up. I'm not sure if there is a bad file in one of the folders, or if I exceeded the limit, but I was able to get the unit to read about 16Gb or so on a 500Gb drive.

I'm going to try to take off the last set of folders I copied and see what happens...

Well if you go to that link (the one you posted) and click on the "Support and Media" tab, click on the "Find manuals for AVIC-F900BT" link, it will bring up a list of user's manual in many different languages, one of which is an English version of the user's manual which is 172 pages long. On page 168 you will find where it says the USB will only support 2GB (FAT16 and FAT32) and the SD card will support 8GB (FAT16 and FAT32). I'm sure most of the other things you are talking about are also in that manual.

Please note he is obviously located across the pond. Does it state this on the other manuals? Not a lot of European nations speak English natively...

Im bummed out, I hooked up my f90bt earlier to find out about this limitation. Is this common for all brands? I am almost certain I read a post on a different board with someone using a western digital usb powered external drive on a kenwood unit.

What is the other option here? ...buy a large sized ipod and just stuff it in the glove box?

I have spent so much on the unit already and I still need to get the sirius parts as soon as I can afford it, but I was really jazzed up about the external drive thing.

I removed the latest set of files I copied to the drive and tried it out, and it worked fine. I then copied about 4Gb to it and tried it, and it worked. So now, I have about 20Gb working. I still have another 8 to add and my entire collection will be on there, but I'll put more on tomorrow. Then I'll try adding video. I'm just gonna have to convert all those mpeg's to avi first : (

Did you give it sufficient time? It seems that AVIC wants to go through every file on the drive before it will start playing it...

I gave it a good 20 minutes. I pluged it in when I left my house to go to work, and when I got there, still no music. Maybe if I add files little by little, it will work fine.

I currently use my 120GB Zune hooked up through the A/V cables which works awesome, but before I had that I was using a hard drive media player...pretty slick little units, you take a hard drive (for me, I upgraded my PS3 hard drive to 500GB so I used my old 80GB drive) and you put it in the enclosure which looks just like most external hard drive enclosures except that it has A/V and Component outputs on the back and a small display and a few buttons on the front, and it comes with a remote. I'm sure it depends on the model that you buy, (mine was only like $40 off eBay) but mine had a really nice on-screen display and the best part about it was it was available IMMEDIATELY after the unit started up! No waiting 5 - 10 minutes. I guess the only downfall is that you can't navigate on screen and have to use the remote, but I rather liked that about it. I still have it hooked up in my car but I only have DivX video files on it now and I pretty much just use the Zune which has all my music.

You can also get them to play hard drives up to 1TB in 3.5 drives and I've seen up to 500GB in 2.5 SATA drives. And they are relativly cheap...Just something to think about if you have an extra hard drive and don't wanna splurge on an iPod.

Ive had my unit for about a week, and have been using a Patriot 16gb SDHC card from Frys for $40. It is filled to the brim with music, and I have never had a problem with it. 32gb SDHC cards are out now... I dont see how it can limit the functionality of the SDHC standard. I would only assume it would run everything that SDHC supports.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been reading and searching and didn't find a clear conclusion about the external disk drive support of AVIC F900 BT.

I have tested 2 drives ( some no name 2.5" a, and a WD 2.5" HDD). neither worked.

So, .. is the problem just power? cus that can be easily resolved by powering the drive separately.

Or even, .. make a custom USB cable, and connect the power signals to a better power source.

But if the problem is from the Avic USB controller/software, . then we are out of luck. (assuming drive is formatted FAT32, with reasonable file and folder structures.)

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Kaveh

Hello,

I have been reading and searching and didn't find a clear conclusion about the external disk drive support of AVIC F900 BT.

I have tested 2 drives ( some no name 2.5" a, and a WD 2.5" HDD). neither worked.

So, .. is the problem just power? cus that can be easily resolved by powering the drive separately.

Or even, .. make a custom USB cable, and connect the power signals to a better power source.

But if the problem is from the Avic USB controller/software, . then we are out of luck. (assuming drive is formatted FAT32, with reasonable file and folder structures.)

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Kaveh

Unless you are using a 1.8" laptop drive, you need a power inverter to plug your external drive in. It is the only way it will work.

Hello,

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Kaveh

I actually have an external working with music that works

its an external powered hdd, only issue ive seen so far is when the power is turned off, the power inverter goes into a shock and you have to power cycle it when you start up again.

Also, you have to unplug/plug in the hdd to be recognized by the usb drivers :/ kinda gay...

I have an external usb powered drive in my possession, i tried attaching it, but I dont think it was enough power because wince didnt recognize it and the hdd was making noises that are usually made when there is low power