AVIC411.com

external hard drive

I am going to install my unit in my truck Monday. I will go through every scenario I can with different hard drives to see what works. Will probably post a video here when I find the best and easiest solution. I am a tech nut, so if it can be done, I will figure it out and make sure it is the most feasible and permanent solution... because I would hate having to power cycle and plug and unplug anything every time I got in the car.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to install my unit in my truck Monday. I will go through every scenario I can with different hard drives to see what works. Will probably post a video here when I find the best and easiest solution. I am a tech nut, so if it can be done, I will figure it out and make sure it is the most feasible and permanent solution... because I would hate having to power cycle and plug and unplug anything every time I got in the car.

worst part is im a consultant and must get in/out of the car often, sometimes 8 times within the day...

• 3 weeks later...
Our rep said he was using a 16GB SD card w/ no problems. No idea about USB

I use a 16Gb Class 6 card and it works like a charm for music and video. :)

thats different...

black, I'm not giving up, I will have a way to do it... even if i have to switch the hdd on myself... which isnt that big of a deal, i dont want the inverter running 350watts the whole time... thats 29/28 amps... and I have much more music than I can fit on the largest thumbdrive (32gb i believe) Its hard for me not to have a hdd....

ok, so i figured out why the hdd doesnt get read when the unit boots up... it's because the unit starts up too fast, the hdd doesnt have time to boot up... I'll prob mount a switch somewhere and connect it to the inverter... this way i can start up the hdd whenever I want...

I don't think thats it; because you can stick a USB memory stick in the unit after its fully booted and it will recognize it every time.

plug in a stick while the uit is off, turn it on.... check if it works (wont show up)

I didn't have to re-plug the USB stick after it booted in pre-2.0, just left the same one in there all the time and it always showed up.. I'll check and see when I get home if this is still the case

if you guys havent realized I've been talking about an external drive... usb thumbsticks dont need a powersource so they are always on...

external hard drives and thumb drives will have the same behavior; they will either be recognized at any time or only post-boot. I have an enclosure I can test with when I get home, I'll just have rig a power-passing USB injector

• 11 months later...