AVIC411.com

PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony Steering Wheel Radio Control

Just a few tips. Some harnesses include a steering wheel control output right at the harness. Others you may need to go to the steering column. Still its a single wire plus power and ground so its not to tough to hook up. The instructions can be confusing the first read through but read em again and should get the hang of it.

The biggest thing i can stress is to program the interface while the vehicle is running. When i installed and programmed the unit the first time with the vehicle off i had problem with buttons not responding or responding slowly. When the vehicle is running the battery voltage is around 2 volts higher and can influence the voltage on a resistance based control system and give inaccurate reading if programmed under battery power with no alternator power. Once i programed the unit with the vehicle running the buttons works quickly and accurately.

Did you get the preset up/down to work for you?

This may be something to try. I have had no problem getting the unit to work with the up/down on the 900BT, but when driving around, I can not get the PAC to tune down. I will try programming with the engine on to see what that does.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Tip applied and now everything works without problems! :lol:

Ok I just tried this and I'm still not getting the Preset up/down to work? Are you programing the preset up/down or only the tune?

Thanks so much mazda_3 and everyone else. This worked great! No problems.

Just spent 6 hours today installing my brand new F900. Love it! Only thing left to do is to tap the VSS as soon as I can find out where it is.

Thanks

Did you program the preset up/down? Everyone keeps saying everything is fine but no one has told me specifically they have got the preset up down to work?

Nope. The way the programming scheme works is that for my car it bunches the volume up/down and the scan up/down onto one button. I don't have a separate preset up down. The button originally was volume up/down and preset up/down on my car's original SWC, but the PAC-SWI clusters the buttons differently, so you kind of have to sacrifice a little, but its better than no SWC at all.

Well, I just got off of the phone with PAC regarding the problem with the steering wheel buttons not changing the stations. The rep said that Pioneer changed the command/interface thus breaking the functionality of the steering wheel buttons. He further stated that they were working with Pioneer on a fix (he guessed that the fix would be out within 30 days).

I then called Pioneer and it was an utter and total waste of time. After being transferred to the Navigation Support unit, and explaining the problem with the steering wheel buttons, I was told to buy a Pioneer CDMR80 marine remote for my car. He said that it was PAC's fault that the buttons didn't work. He also told me to revert to a previous firmware if I wanted to use my iPod Touch to work. It was simply a case of blame the other companies.

On a brighter note, he did say that they were working on a fix for the blue boxes.

Mazda_3... I have a 2006 MX5 GT (with DSP and Bose). I've been on some Mazda specific forums and it seems that a lot of people have been searching for awhile to find the location of the VSS on this car and they are getting closer to isolating it, but no luck yet. It seems that there is fairly good info on where to find it for the cars without the DSP system, but the cars with the DSP use a digital CAN BUS system to send info to the rest of the car, and what the VSS needs is an analog pulse signal. The problem is that the wiring diagrams show a VSS signal input to the CAN BUS, but don't specifically identify which wire and nobody has had the time or patience to go through and test ever wire there yet.

On a side not though, I honestly haven't had much issue with not having the VSS plugged, so if I never find it, I'm not too worried.

Mazda_3... I have a 2006 MX5 GT (with DSP and Bose). I've been on some Mazda specific forums and it seems that a lot of people have been searching for awhile to find the location of the VSS on this car and they are getting closer to isolating it, but no luck yet. It seems that there is fairly good info on where to find it for the cars without the DSP system, but the cars with the DSP use a digital CAN BUS system to send info to the rest of the car, and what the VSS needs is an analog pulse signal. The problem is that the wiring diagrams show a VSS signal input to the CAN BUS, but don't specifically identify which wire and nobody has had the time or patience to go through and test ever wire there yet.

On a side not though, I honestly haven't had much issue with not having the VSS plugged, so if I never find it, I'm not too worried.

I do not know if this will work but you can try using a wheel speed sensor for the vss. The only thing is i am unsure of what the vss looks for if it is signal, some sort of voltage or w/e but i would assume signal. a wheel speed sensor should have al 3 if i am not mistaken

Yeah, that's what a lot of people are talking about doing. I'm not sure its really worth it to me. System seems to work fine without and that would be a lot of extra time, effort, and money for something that I don't really need anyway. Rather spend the money on other upgrades.

thanks though.

Just a few tips. Some harnesses include a steering wheel control output right at the harness. Others you may need to go to the steering column. Still its a single wire plus power and ground so its not to tough to hook up. The instructions can be confusing the first read through but read em again and should get the hang of it.

The biggest thing i can stress is to program the interface while the vehicle is running. When i installed and programmed the unit the first time with the vehicle off i had problem with buttons not responding or responding slowly. When the vehicle is running the battery voltage is around 2 volts higher and can influence the voltage on a resistance based control system and give inaccurate reading if programmed under battery power with no alternator power. Once i programed the unit with the vehicle running the buttons works quickly and accurately.

Did you get the preset up/down to work for you?

This may be something to try. I have had no problem getting the unit to work with the up/down on the 900BT, but when driving around, I can not get the PAC to tune down. I will try programming with the engine on to see what that does.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Tip applied and now everything works without problems! :lol:

do you guys still have that delay in the button presses and system response with this tip? Or does it just read each button press more accurately.

is there a way to get rid of the delay?

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if this PAC SWI PS will work on the F90BT?

Also, I have a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL, my steering wheel controls have only 3 buttons, volume up, volume down, and 1 button in between thats for previous track/next track

All I would like to have are just those controls, nothing extra. Will this unit do that for me, or does it combine other functions into one button?