AVIC411.com

Faster Button Responses!

has anyone tried opening a blank text doc and saving it as the same exact file name, with the same extension?

that way you would still have the file there but it would just be blank instead of a silence file.

That might work, but from the sound of it the newest/easiest way is just to back up the files and delete them.

Agreed, even if it is blank... it still must open the file If its not there...

*I have not tried deleting them as of yet.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just deleted them... of coarse after backing them up, and it works fine. No wasted time opening a blank file. Super Fast!!

You're assuming throwing a silent error/exception is less costly than reading a 0kb file. And that it causes no other side effects (memory leaks etc.)

Sorry.. my nerd is showing.. :roll:

-dp

You're assuming throwing a silent error/exception is less costly than reading a 0kb file. And that it causes no other side effects (memory leaks etc.)

Sorry.. my nerd is showing.. :roll:

-dp

Yeah, but wav files have headers describing the format of the sound. If you just substitute a 0kb file, you probably have the same errors. In fact, if the programmers check for file existence before opening, it probably would be faster to delete than to have a 0kb file.

I renamed mine with a .old extension after the .wav extension

I'm just wondering how people are renaming the files, I have been just copying them onto my SD card for backups but would prefer to rename. Problem is that while I see a keyboard icon in the lower right corner I can't select it for whatever reason to type. Do I just need to recalibrate my screen or something?

I'm just wondering how people are renaming the files, I have been just copying them onto my SD card for backups but would prefer to rename. Problem is that while I see a keyboard icon in the lower right corner I can't select it for whatever reason to type. Do I just need to recalibrate my screen or something?

yes

I replaced the files with the "blank" sound files a few weeks ago. At first, it did seamed that the unit responded faster and I was very happy. After a few days, I was missing that sound feedback from the unit when I touched the panel, sometimes, specialy pressing forward on the on screen ipod wheel, the unit just wouldn't respond.( you have to be very presice sometimes). I putted back the original sounds and could't be happier. I just like to say that IMO, there is really no faster responce from the unit with blank sounds or smaller sound files, it is exactly the same.

I replaced the files with the "blank" sound files a few weeks ago. At first, it did seamed that the unit responded faster and I was very happy. After a few days, I was missing that sound feedback from the unit when I touched the panel, sometimes, specialy pressing forward on the on screen ipod wheel, the unit just wouldn't respond.( you have to be very presice sometimes). I putted back the original sounds and could't be happier. I just like to say that IMO, there is really no faster responce from the unit with blank sounds or smaller sound files, it is exactly the same.