AVIC411.com

Better interface for the z2 with a Zune!

So i decided I hate the ipod interface with the z2, even with genres as artists. It just takes too long to go through everything. It is so much quicker to use the ipod scroll wheel, and hook the ipod up through the av input or aux. BUT, then you lose the screen on the z2. If you use the aux in its just blank, and if you use the av input you get a black screen. That is what sucks about the iPod, it doesnt give you the UI with the TV out.

I did some reaserch on the zune. The zune DOES give you the UI with a tv out. So now i got the best of both worlds.... I got quick and easy access by using my buttons on my zune to control, and it shows all the menus on my z2 screen. I now get album artwork and everything else that you see on the zune player itself on my z2 screen.

The only CONS are: You cant control the zune from the z2. But as I stated... the pioneer interface for the ipod is horrible. It is so much faster and safer to use the buttons on the actual player.

I will post some pics later.

No problemo. I will post some pics very soon.

I actually added a bit to it now. I bought a Zune dock with a wireless IR remote. I put the dock in my arm rest. Unfortunately the IR doesnt go through the arm rest so I had to wire up the remote with a extra IR cable I had. So now I can keep my Zune hidden in my arm rest and have complete control with the small wired remote. The Remote buttons are set up the exact same way the Zune buttons are, so again its total and complete control.

Dude, what a concept!!! I just got an upgraded Z2 and love it. I use my Archos MP3 player and was thinking about getting an Ipod to hook up, but I love your idea! The Archos has video out and a remote. I I can do exactly like you describe and just controll it without having to look down at the Archos.

Once I get it set up I will upload pics as well!

Great IDEA!!!!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I came across the same Idea when I got my d3 a year or so ago, and I already a Zune and never much cared for the iPod. So I bought the Home A/V kit for the Zune hooked it up to the through the A/V ports in the back and got a USB to 12V adapter and wired to the Units power source so that when my car turns on it will automatically power up my dock which in turn will keep my Zune completely charged. Mine fits nicely in a space under my dash so I didn't need to wire the remote, mine is still wireless and its completely out of the way. Its awesome! I recently upgraded to the F900BT and just unpluged the A/V's and swapped it out and it still works fantastic. Would recommend to anyone!

Oh, and to answer the question, NO, the Zune will NOT charge just through the A/V ports.

• 3 weeks later...
No problemo. I will post some pics very soon.

I actually added a bit to it now. I bought a Zune dock with a wireless IR remote. I put the dock in my arm rest. Unfortunately the IR doesnt go through the arm rest so I had to wire up the remote with a extra IR cable I had. So now I can keep my Zune hidden in my arm rest and have complete control with the small wired remote. The Remote buttons are set up the exact same way the Zune buttons are, so again its total and complete control.

This whole wired IR remote sounds kinda ghetto, I'm pretty curious how that looks. Just bought my Z2/GEX-P10XMT/CD-SR1/ND-BT1 setup and when I get home to hook it all up on monday I also bought a Zune dock to hook it up to. All in my Tundra of awesomeness. Been deployed for 6 months so I'm still trying to remember in my head where the best place t mount the dock will be. But I'd like it to be out of the way as much as possible. I'll definitely be hardwiring it into the system for full charging capabilities.

• 2 months later...