AVIC411.com

Bought a new AVIC-F900, interesting note

I purchased my F900 a few days ago and had it installed by Best Buy. Everything works perfectly, however I noticed something extremely peculiar. My GPS menus and my DVD player do NOT lock out when the vehicle is in motion. I took my car onto the freeway and have successfully been able to watch a DVD disc and manipulate my navigation controls while driving 65mph+. I have not hacked, nor have I attempted the hardware bypass on the unit. Maybe Pioneer gave up and quit trying to protect us because we hated these safety features so much. I'm really curious to find out.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's at bestbuy where you can return anything in any shape without them looking twice at it.

They also put the returned items back on the shelve without fully inspecting them.

My best guess would be that someone installed it, bypassed it then uninstalled it and returned it.

Or maybe the installer did the bypass? It's unlikely but more likely than Pioneer risking a lawsuit and not putting a lock on the unit.

Maybe, however the installer did not mention anything about performing the bypass. I might boot the unit into WinCE and see if the "parking_break_speed" value has been changed. If that is at the stock 16 value then i'll pull the unit out and check the wiring harness for any modifications.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's at bestbuy where you can return anything in any shape without them looking twice at it.

They also put the returned items back on the shelve without fully inspecting them.

My best guess would be that someone installed it, bypassed it then uninstalled it and returned it.

I think you're thinking of Costco. Best buy has the WORST return policy on the face of the earth... they charge 15% restocking fee on nav units and if a returned item goes on the shelf it is marked as an "open box" item. The unit i bought was factory sealed.

I had mine installed by a major national chain as well. I showed the guy this site on my I-phone and asked him to bypass the unit and he said "oh, I usually do. you just move pin 1 on the top to pin 4 on the bottom".

He did and I love it. I think it's a common practice.

If that's the case they're setting themselves up for a major lawsuit (from the Manufacturer or from the end-user). I'm sure big chains who are official dealers for these companies have to adhere to rules about not bypassing security features. This is a MAJOR liability issue.

I just checked the pioneer.ini file and the parking break speed value is still set to 16... I can only assume that the hardware bypass was done. I'll be verifiying that on Tuesday.

Please keep in mind that having the navigation menus active while in motion is not against the law in any way. If it were so, then Acura would be in deep doo doo as all their cars have active nav menus right from the factory. Having DVD active can be a gray area. If you are watching a dvd and have an accident, then most states will probably come after you. But if you don't have an DVD in the unit, is it illegal? Just bypassing Pioneer's system in not reason for a lawsuit. Loss of warranty...possible. Taking Pioneer off the hook for DVD watching...probably. But not illegal.

Just bypassing Pioneer's system in not reason for a lawsuit.

Ever hear of the lawsuit involving a winnebago? This woman bought a winnebago, and while she was on the highway, she put the bago on cruise control, and left the driver's seat to go in the back to make herself a sandwich. The bago went off the road and flipped over several times...you'd think it'd be her own fault? wrong..

Not only was she awarded a new winnebago, but also 1.75 MILLION DOLLARS, because the manual didn't say you cannot actually leave the seat while on cruise control...if people can pull off lawsuits like that, I'm sure Pioneer can be sued for not having a safety lock on their units.

And if were Gremlins that did it, well you shoulnt've fed them after midnight :wink:

Just bypassing Pioneer's system in not reason for a lawsuit.

Ever hear of the lawsuit involving a winnebago? This woman bought a winnebago, and while she was on the highway, she put the bago on cruise control, and left the driver's seat to go in the back to make herself a sandwich. The bago went off the road and flipped over several times...you'd think it'd be her own fault? wrong..

Not only was she awarded a new winnebago, but also 1.75 MILLION DOLLARS, because the manual didn't say you cannot actually leave the seat while on cruise control...if people can pull off lawsuits like that, I'm sure Pioneer can be sued for not having a safety lock on their units.

And if were Gremlins that did it, well you shoulnt've fed them after midnight :wink:

I assume that last sentence means you know this already, but just in case someone else believes you ...

This is an urban legend, never happened. Two links:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/aug/14 ... ortmyths14

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

I had a D2 installed a couple of years ago and the guy at best buy did the bypass without me asking or even telling me. I thought it was standard that all systems worked while in motion. (didnt have the dvd drive) it was only when i was reading about the D3 when it came out that i found out you needed to by pass the units. So it is possible that best buy bypassed your unit for you.