AVIC411.com

Ducati Boy Flasher Your Crazy if you Don't Have One

If you have a Z1 and haven't installed Ducati Boy's flasher, your crazy. I've had my Z1 for a couple of months installed the flasher yesterday and now I feel the Z1 is worth the money. Being able to utilize all the features, "no I don't watch DVD's while driving", but POI's etc., is great to be able to do without stopping the vehicle. Drove into NYC to see the Mets last night and the Z1 got me to and back home to Albany without a glitch. Thanks Ducati Boy.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought TWO of the flashers prior to my Z1 install. Now I have a spare just in case any questions about it EVER arise in MY mind or my installer's. :) Don't forget, it's not like you can run down to Radio Shack for one if a "situation" ever comes up.
[quote name="Mac3150"] [quote name="tjdehya"]Dude where have you been? The flasher is not needed any more. So the crazy if you dont have one statement is silly :roll: .
Any way, I am loving mine too :D .[/quote]

What have I missed? Why don't you need it anymore?[/quote]

Because the july 06 units can be bypassed the same way the d1/d2 are bypassed. So no longer is it nessessacry to flash the parking lights to do the bypass.
[quote name="needspeed"]I just bought a second Z1 from Tweeter and it was made in April so they are still out there, so I will need another Ducatiboy special......Steve[/quote]

Well the web site is up and I'm still taking orders and making them. Not as many as I was before, but I'm going to keep making them and supporting them as long as possible, I figured there are some pre-July units still floating around. [url=http://www.sminntech.com]www.sminntech.com[/url]
I have a post June unit, installed by the dealer. The funny thing is, once I got it, I had three days to research it before it was installed. I found out about the p-brake feature lock, and was worried about it. I figured that I would have to just open it up and check it out after the installation.

Colour me suprised when I went back to the dealer, turned on the car, and saw the "parking brake lead" improperly connected message!

I can do just about anything except watch DVDs while driving, just what I was used to with my Aviator.

I guess the installer got tired of people complaining after he installed their units.
[quote name="classic"]I have a post June unit, installed by the dealer. The funny thing is, once I got it, I had three days to research it before it was installed. I found out about the p-brake feature lock, and was worried about it. I figured that I would have to just open it up and check it out after the installation.

Colour me suprised when I went back to the dealer, turned on the car, and saw the "parking brake lead" improperly connected message!

I can do just about anything except watch DVDs while driving, just what I was used to with my Aviator.

I guess the installer got tired of people complaining after he installed their units.[/quote]

Not that I do it but I can watch a DVD if I want to with the pre July units......Steve
  • 3 weeks later...
I have a 2000 Mercedes S430 (with auto-on lights) and just had my Z1 installed today. I have tried the headlight-flicker trick and it indeed does work. It is just a pain to do every time. Plus, it only works if I diasble the auto-on headlight feature on the MBZ.

So, I have a coupla questions:

1) Will Ducati's new Z1 bypass work for me? If so, i will buy one tomorrow.
2) Now that the unit has been installed, how do I find out if it is a pre-July 06 unit or post July-06 unit, without ripping it out from the dash (my installer did a FANTASTIC job)?
3) However, my Bluetooth unit will arrive tomorrow and my installer will need to go back into the dash to put it in, so I may have an opportunity to have hime install the Ducati bypass at the same time, BUT, in case I don't need the bypass and just have to ground the two wires as explained on Ducati's excellent Web site, will I risk disabling some of those Bluettoth/Phone features (as happened in the "old days" when you just grounded the brake wire)?

Thanks in advance for what i know will be erudite answers!
[quote name="SClassy"]I have a 2000 Mercedes S430 (with auto-on lights) and just had my Z1 installed today. I have tried the headlight-flicker trick and it indeed does work. It is just a pain to do every time. Plus, it only works if I diasble the auto-on headlight feature on the MBZ.

So, I have a coupla questions:

1) Will Ducati's new Z1 bypass work for me? If so, i will buy one tomorrow.[/quote]

Yes it will. If you can flash your lights and that bypasses the unit then it will work for you.

But lets make sure that you are actuall flashing your lights and THAT is what is bypassing the unit.... if you hit MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - CONNECTION STATUS and look at the parking brake setting. If it's OFF, then you are indeed flashing your lights and that is what is bypassing the unit. Make sure your parking brake is reported as off (and goes on and off with the parking brake itself), if it's on all the time then he grounded the parking brake all the time and that's not good.

So try flashing the lights one time and make sure it's bypassed and then try not flashing the lights and make sure you are locked out. I don't want you to buy something that won't work for you and I want to make sure you are flashing your lights and that is what is bypassing the Z1.

[quote name="SClassy"]
2) Now that the unit has been installed, how do I find out if it is a pre-July 06 unit or post July-06 unit, without ripping it out from the dash (my installer did a FANTASTIC job)?[/quote]

It's on the box, but if you can flash your headlights and that bypasses the unit then it's a June or before unit.

[quote name="SClassy"]
3) However, my Bluetooth unit will arrive tomorrow and my installer will need to go back into the dash to put it in, so I may have an opportunity to have hime install the Ducati bypass at the same time, BUT, in case I don't need the bypass and just have to ground the two wires as explained on Ducati's excellent Web site, will I risk disabling some of those Bluettoth/Phone features (as happened in the "old days" when you just grounded the brake wire)?

Thanks in advance for what i know will be erudite answers![/quote]

If you can flash your lights and that is what bypasses your unit, then the 2 wire ground won't work for you. If you want something automatic you will want my circuit.

I'll have a few on me so that if I get some orders with fex ex shipping, I can ship them out today for people to have them on Friday.
[quote name="tjdehya"]Dude where have you been? The flasher is not needed any more. So the crazy if you dont have one statement is silly :roll: .
Any way, I am loving mine too :D .[/quote]

I ended up getting an AVIC-Z1 in September that was stamped "JUNE". The bypass worked as advertised. Thanks a million D'Boy.