AVIC411.com

Back Up Cameras

You don't need to spend that much on a camera.

You can use any rear view camera that has an RCA output.

I spent about $50 on my camera, and I'm waiting to receive it, but from everything I've read about select rear view cameras, it has everything you need.

Check out [url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643]this[/url] post and go the response from musikman for an excellent set of guidelines to buying a camera.
1.5 Lux is good, but the one I bought that you can see here:

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150026713423&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1[/url]

has infrared lights so it functions at 0 lux, and its 1/3 of the price.
[quote name="DataAve"]380 lines is low end. Average life span for infrared is 2 years. If it is a "CMOS" camera, stay away from it, because you will not be satisfied with the quality of the picture. Also, 1.5 lux really isn't that good, because you will see alot of 'grain' in the pic at night.[/quote]

Good enough for a rear view backup system. Also, not a bad deal for the price. Heck, at that price you can afford to REPLACE it every couple of years.

Most of us don't rush out and buy a $400 CCD camera so we can see the kid's toys when we're backing out the driveway.
It was just an educated opinion and I was trying to help out, no need for smart ass remarks. A rear view cam can be had for well under $400 - spend $35 bucks, and you will be replacing it every month.

[quote name="Lhaff"]

Good enough for a rear view backup system. Also, not a bad deal for the price. Heck, at that price you can afford to REPLACE it every couple of years.

Most of us don't rush out and buy a $400 CCD camera so we can see the kid's toys when we're backing out the driveway.[/quote]
[quote name="DataAve"]It was just an educated opinion and I was trying to help out, no need for smart ass remarks. A rear view cam can be had for well under $400 - spend $35 bucks, and you will be replacing it every month.

[quote name="Lhaff"]

Most of us don't rush out and buy a $400 CCD camera so we can see the kid's toys when we're backing out the driveway.[/quote][/quote]

Yes they certainly can be had for less than $400, just like the ones that sportsfan21 and many other people have bought. I bought one from ebay for about $60, much like the one sportsfan21 linked to. It was a solid, if not too fancy barrel cam with some IR lights, and it's managed to serve me well in my truck for over a year now. I happen to think I got my money's worth. If it fails I'm happy to see the price has come down so I can get another one.

So, if you have something to suggest instead of snide comments about what other people find to be a bargain, perhaps a "good" camera, for a reasonable price, I'm all ears. Provide a link to something better and point out why you think it is better and I'll be the first to say thank you instead of posting smart ass comments.
[quote name="tuetran22"]hey guys...have a question regarding backup camera. are you guys tapping into the power from the rear of the car or in the front? i was thinking of tapping into the reverse wire connected to the reverse light in the rear of my car. will this work? thanks[/quote]

You can do that, but then the camera will only work when the vehicle is in reverse. You will not be able to use the camera driving down the road if you so desire. If don't ever want to look behind you with it going forward, then it's a decent alternative.
Has anyone compared the ND-BC1 to aftermarket cameras? Are there any aftermarket ones that are as good, or better, for less?

I have an ND-BC1 I got in a package with a bunch of other stuff and its picture quality is soooo much better than my generic license-plate mounted camera that I have in every way.

I'm just curious because ND-BC1's have good resale. If there's cheaper generic one that's just as good for $35-60, I wouldn't mind selling the BC1 and putting the cash towards other stuff.
[url=http://avssys.net/product/camera/page_so3nw.html]http://avssys.net/product/camera/page_so3nw.html[/url]

Excellent cam and sells for @$66 (you can get it from 'ehey' cheaper) . It has a @4mm lens, 420 lines, 1/3 sony HAD, and 0.1 Lux (which is very good). Stick with Sony technology and stay away from Sharp technology. And of course, make sure it is weatherproof.

There really isn't a need for infrared, due to the grain it produces. If you would like to see live shots, one with infrared and one without, PM me and I will post a link where you can compare the differences.
[quote name="DataAve"]http://avssys.net/product/camera/page_so3nw.html

Excellent cam and sells for @$66 (you can get it from 'ehey' cheaper) . It has a @4mm lens, 420 lines, 1/3 sony HAD, and 0.1 Lux (which is very good). Stick with Sony technology and stay away from Sharp technology. And of course, make sure it is weatherproof.

There really isn't a need for infrared, due to the grain it produces. If you would like to see live shots, one with infrared and one without, PM me and I will post a link where you can compare the differences.[/quote]

Is there a version of this camera that has reverse image (to give the appearance of a rearview mirror) and is easily flush mounted? I looked on the website you provided, but didn't see anything that looked easy to mount on a vehicle and be inconspicuous.