AVIC411.com

XM Nav weather and Traffic?

I was a user of XM Traffic and with the AVIC D2 for 2 and a half years until recently. The unit went bad and was replaced with a service plan from a local retail store and ended up with the F900BT in exchange.

I tried the MSN Direct service since it was free for the first 3 months. I have been trying to use it for the past 3 weeks and I must say, life was better with XM. The XM was great where it provided real time traffic immediately and provided a better visual on the map where it would highlight the roads in red, yellow or green.

For MSN, unfortunately the information is not so instantaneous. When browsing the different options such a weather, I usually get a display stating that local information is unavailable. Reception has been issue too. According to the status page, my signal for MSN Direct is very low or none while in or around NYC.

I have nav traffic and I have never seen any highways or roads highlighted any color. Maybe it my area that doesnt have good service. I have pushed the traffic flow button in the menu,, and most of the roads it is describing are like 40-50 miles away.

I do however see the caution signs pop-up for roadwork, accidents, blocked lanes but no on map flow highlights.

To see highlighted roads do you have to have a set navigation destination route programmed?

I have nav traffic and I have never seen any highways or roads highlighted any color. Maybe it my area that doesnt have good service. I have pushed the tarffic flow button and most of the roads it is describing are like 40-50 miles away.

I do however see the caution signs pop-up for roadwork, accidents, blocked lanes.

To see highlighted roads do you have to have a set navigation destination route programmed?

I don't know where you're located but my N4 displays traffic flow via colored bubbles with traffic speed information and other signage along all highways.

F-series does show traffic on the map, just not with road color coding. More like what TMC enabled units do, with icons along roads. But this is not so much a feature of MSN Direct as of the navigation software, which displays the information in this manner...

Yes Boris, but does it show traffic "flow", or just incidents? I love looking down at my screen and seeing flow rates. It's like "hmmm....better not take the 60 this afternoon...it's all red and yellow." It's a life saver here.

Does anyone have any screen shots they can post?