AVIC411.com

XM Nav weather and Traffic?

So it should highlight bad areas of traffic, and you can tell by the icon's and road color.

If there is bad traffic it will highlight the road red, then look at the icons to tell how bad the red line is.

It's no live maps or google maps, but does work.

Ravage, are you saying MSN Traffic does this? It will change the color of the roads according to flow rate like XM Traffic does? Does it also show separate sides of the road like XM?

I am also using MSN in the Phx Metro Area. When it works, it:

1. Puts an icon on the map showing congestion or accident

2. Colors the road red when congestion tied to the same entry showing the icon appears.

3. Shows different icons for congestion or accident

4. On the MSN screen provides a list of incidents, accidents, congestion and road closures that is easy to read and navigate.

Sometimes these notifications are quick (I am on the 101 and see the icon before the incident), sometimes they are not (I am on the 101 crawling along and then see the icon further along on the map) and sometimes they are not there at all. All in all, I have found it to be fairly accurate and helpful. The listing has helped me keep track of freeway closures on the weekends pretty well.

However, it does not always work. And if you are not in the solid green area on their coverage map on the web site, it is not very good.

Don

I am also using MSN in the Phx Metro Area. When it works, it:

1. Puts an icon on the map showing congestion or accident

2. Colors the road red when congestion tied to the same entry showing the icon appears.

3. Shows different icons for congestion or accident

4. On the MSN screen provides a list of incidents, accidents, congestion and road closures that is easy to read and navigate.

Sometimes these notifications are quick (I am on the 101 and see the icon before the incident), sometimes they are not (I am on the 101 crawling along and then see the icon further along on the map) and sometimes they are not there at all. All in all, I have found it to be fairly accurate and helpful. The listing has helped me keep track of freeway closures on the weekends pretty well.

However, it does not always work. And if you are not in the solid green area on their coverage map on the web site, it is not very good.

Don

That is actually good to hear. It sounds like they may be getting to where they need to be. If MSN is slow, it must be the way they are broadcasting the data because XM, MSN, etc all use the same traffic flow indicators.

Oh yea...you don't need any traffic indicators for the 101. That should be colored red permanently! Let's hope the new HOV lanes open that up some, eh? The work they did on the 60 the last few years flat fixed that road.