AVIC411.com

Scratched Screen

I had to pull my F90 out to check some wires that may have come loose. While doing so, I put a scratch in the middle of the screen. It's not deep, but it is noticeable. In talking to a few people for suggestions, the best ideas were to use some very fine wet sandpaper and lightly (and with lots of water) sand across the scratch to remove the ridge of the scratch. The other idea is to use some jeweler's rouge (the kind to polish gold), and again, lightly rub across the scratch. Or will I need to replace the screen?

I've never heard of removing a scratch on a touch screen by sanding it.

Usually if you scratch a touch screen that's it over, it is expensive to repair and you'll need to take apart the whole unit.

My guess, if you sand it you will make it worse.

I agree, the resistive touch screen is VERY thin and not designed for sandpaper repair.

very fine wet sandpaper and lightly (and with lots of water)

That doesn't seem like the most ideal tools around an electronic item :roll:

I don't think there's any DIY method to removing scratches off the screen, my best suggestion would be only if it's warrantied by pioneer, brick the unit by messing up a software mod, and send it in under warranty. If they ask what happened to the screen, simply say it came like that and it wasn't a big deal for you to call them about that.

I've read a couple of suggestions online as I have an LCD TV with a small gouge.

#1 use a brand new, clean pencil eraser and rub the scratch lightly

#2 Fill the scratch with vaseline and it will make the scratch nearly invisible

I haven't tried either of these methods so they are at your own risk, but are cheap and probably worth a try.

^^ I agree.

Just clean it first, then if not satisfied, send it in for service. :shock:

Perfect answer.

Not so perfect answer:

my best suggestion would be only if it's warrantied by pioneer, brick the unit by messing up a software mod, and send it in under warranty. If they ask what happened to the screen, simply say it came like that and it wasn't a big deal for you to call them about that.

Sandpaper will make it hazy and dull. I don't recommend it.

Polish will give you an annoying shiny spot, probably worse looking than the scratch.

The resistive part of the membrane is on the inside, so chances are you could probably do either without hurting the function, but trust me, it will look worse than the scratch if you do.

The Vasoline trick might work to reduce appearance of the scratch, but would eventually wear off and will make your screen greasy.

There is nothing you can do to fix this yourself short of replacing the touch panel. They are usually attached to the LCD by very sticky clear double-sided tape on the edges. Obviously, replacing it will require disassembling the face.

I would just leave it alone or send it in to Pioneer.

resistivetouchscreensff1.jpg

1 Polyester Film

2 Upper Resistive Circuit Layer

3 Conductive ITO (Transparent Metal Coating)

4 Lower Resistive Circuit Layer

5 Insulating Dots

6 Glass/Acrylic Substrate

7 Touching the overlay surface causes the (2) Upper Resistive Circuit Layer to contact the (4) Lower Resistive Circuit Layer, producing a circuit switch from the activated area.

8 The touchscreen controller gets the alternating voltages between the (7) two circuit layers and converts them into the digital X and Y coordinates of the activated area.

http://www.fastpoint.com/touchscreens/r ... reens.html

Yeah, that diagram makes my point, resistive part is on the inside. The resistive part is 3. You could in theory, sand or polish all the way through layers 1 and partway through layer 2 before affecting function. Sanding or polishing will make it worse though, I can almost guarantee it.

Thanks for that. It also makes my point, so we both win yay!

Not so perfect answer:

my best suggestion would be only if it's warrantied by pioneer, brick the unit by messing up a software mod, and send it in under warranty. If they ask what happened to the screen, simply say it came like that and it wasn't a big deal for you to call them about that.

If I may, Aviator, why not such a perfect answer? He gets a brand new unit that way, scratch free, and doesn't have to do any work about it.

If it's gonna be like that whole thing with Tacomaboy about "scamming an innocent person", then please, just agree to disagree and let the OP decide for himself (considering Pioneer is not an "innocent person"). If for any other reason, I'd like to hear it.