AVIC411.com

Installation - does this sound about right?

5 Questions about the Install...

1. If I decide to go with the F90BT, I want to make sure I purchase EVERYTHING I need for it so that the place that ends up doing the install doesn't charge me for things that I can get much cheaper. Based on my research, the following is the list that I have developed:

XM Tuner (GEX-P920XM)

Steering Wheel Audio Control Adapter (PAC SWI-PS)

iPod Adapter (CD-IU230V)

I believe I probably need some kind of harness, but I'm not too sure. I own a 2007 Chevy Equinox. Is there anything that I'm leaving out from the list above?

2. Based on a fairly simple install (taking out my factory stereo and putting this one in along with the accessories above), how much is the going rate to do such an install? I'm going to call around to get prices but I want to have an idea first from folks who have had installs done so I know whether the store is in line.

3. The Mic Cord that is used for bluetooth - can that be installed in a way that you don't see the wire going to the mic? If so, where would the mic and wire go so you don't have a cord dangling from the visor or other such place?

4. Have people found stores that will do the by-pass? This is very important to me if I get this unit, so I'm wondering if I'm going to encounter problems getting a shop to do it. Any tips on how to handle this one?

5. Regarding the Bypass - if this isn't done, besides not playing DVD's, what else wouldn't work? Would I still be able to play video from my iPod? Would I still get full functionality from the Navigation?

1:

You will need a wire harness and possible a dash kit unless your car has a double din slot already.

Check with your installer as they might include the wire harness as part of the price.

Also make sure they don't cut the existing wires and that they use a harness, I've heard of some scary stories.

2:

So my quotes were:

Car Toys: $250 to install the head unit, $50 to run the GPS Wire, $50 to run the Mic wire, $50 to install the HD Radio add-on

Best Buy: $200 to install the head unit, $50 to run the mic wire and $60 for the HD Radio. Seems they included the GPS wire as part of the Head Unit costs.

These were way too much for me, there is tax to be added also. I ended up buying everything I needed from Crutchfields so I could do the job myself and it's pretty good.

3:

So this can be done, but you will still have to have the mic showing. I guess you need to make it clear to your installer. For me I ran the wire through the dash and it popped out by the drivers door. There is a panel there I can remove. Then I run it up by the a pillar column and the mic is stuck to the window at the top corner. You hardley notice it.

4:

They shouldn't do the bypass, but if you ask real nice they might "wire to customer specifications" bring down the details on how to do the by pass. Really they only need to connect the handbrake wire to the ground, which I recommend anyway because it's a bitch to put the handbrake on just to see some options. You can then do the software mod.

5:

So the main features which are disabled are: Phone Keypad dialing, Route entry, settings and options. Of course videos are disabled too.

I don't care much for the videos, but some of the entry stuff is a pain.

I'm going to do the software mod this weekend I think.

Can someone confirm to add XM to the AVIC-700BT you need the following only:

XM Tuner (GEX-P920XM)

When I looked at the Kenwood the guy grabbed 2 boxes from the wall to connect XM. Just want to make sure for the Pionner alls you need is the above.....

Yes, you need the above listed tuner.

1:

You will need a wire harness and possible a dash kit unless your car has a double din slot already.

Check with your installer as they might include the wire harness as part of the price.

Also make sure they don't cut the existing wires and that they use a harness, I've heard of some scary stories.

2:

So my quotes were:

Car Toys: $250 to install the head unit, $50 to run the GPS Wire, $50 to run the Mic wire, $50 to install the HD Radio add-on

Best Buy: $200 to install the head unit, $50 to run the mic wire and $60 for the HD Radio. Seems they included the GPS wire as part of the Head Unit costs.

These were way too much for me, there is tax to be added also. I ended up buying everything I needed from Crutchfields so I could do the job myself and it's pretty good.

3:

So this can be done, but you will still have to have the mic showing. I guess you need to make it clear to your installer. For me I ran the wire through the dash and it popped out by the drivers door. There is a panel there I can remove. Then I run it up by the a pillar column and the mic is stuck to the window at the top corner. You hardley notice it.

4:

They shouldn't do the bypass, but if you ask real nice they might "wire to customer specifications" bring down the details on how to do the by pass. Really they only need to connect the handbrake wire to the ground, which I recommend anyway because it's a bitch to put the handbrake on just to see some options. You can then do the software mod.

5:

So the main features which are disabled are: Phone Keypad dialing, Route entry, settings and options. Of course videos are disabled too.

I don't care much for the videos, but some of the entry stuff is a pain.

I'm going to do the software mod this weekend I think.

Thanks for the info! Regarding your price quotes, all I can say is WOW! $310 - $400 just for the install. I had no idea this would cost me so much. Also, if they didn't do the bypass for me, I wouldn't be too happy with the unit being that many things of the things you listed that are disabled I would like to be able to use while driving.

Anyone have any suggestions for places to install in the Tampa, FL area? I could go as far as Orlando, since I work in Lakeland.

I should mention that if you buy the head unit from them I think Best Buy offer free installation and Car Toys offer installation for $70 from $250.

But I paid $500 for my F90bt while both car toys and BB only had the 900bt and it was $850, so either way you pay for it.

Prices like that makes me very happy I am good at that type of stuff. I installed everything including xm/hd unit, pac steering wheel controls etc, one shot one kill so I was pretty happy.

Its all pretty easy stuff just plan ahead and have the proper tools around.

It took me like 6 hours from start to finish to get everything done, its no joke. Granted that was just me and I was learning as I went. Even the bypass was pretty straight forward.

100 dollars to splice some wires together? Now thats what im talking about.

I always get the same feeling when I watch people at geek squad tell some idiot its 40 bucks to throw in a stick of ram and they do it. Talk about pure profit and 5 minutes of work to boot.