AVIC411.com

showing foreign characters instead of boxes in ipod menus

I did some tests trying to iron out the reset problem, and here is what I found:

- The F500BT reset itself if you turn it off/standby, before it fully started.

The most obvious scenario is if you have a practice to turn you car key to ON position and stay for a brief time, then turn more to start the engine. When the key move to ON, ACC is on and trigger the unit to wake up itself from standby mode, but then when you turn the key to start, ACC will be off for a moment, which triggered the unit to turn off itself. Since usually your time between the ON and Start is pretty short, the unit is not fully wake up before the ACC off during the Engine Start, and it will reset itself when you try to turn it on again.

This behavior is nothing related to the use of the cradle/fat cable or not, or whether to connect the +12V always on wire or not. You can reproduce this behavior with your F500BT running with the A/C adapter, or even with just the internal battery. To try this, simply press the power button to wake up the unit, then press the power button again before it showing the main or map screen. You will see the unit reset when you try to turn it on again.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just thought you should give the credit to mattchench.

He's the first one that post it.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19394

Don't get me wrong, I never said I figured out how to install the asian font to F-series, and definately the credit for that should go to whoever detailed the procedure in the first place.

I'm here just trying to help out some F500BT owners (like myself) who failed to see the asian font by following those steps. I can't say it is valid for all F-series models, but for F500BT, at least the following important points are worth mentioned on top of the original post:

1. Use the reset button at tha back of the unit after installation.

2. RegEdit is not needed.

3. Lost of font setup caused by specific power up scenario (not testmode related).

Now back to idea on getting this asian font mod working better.... There are two ideas in my mind:

1. I'm currently looking for a way to reload the wince.nls during startup. The problem that we lost the setup after system restarted is caused by the windows replaced the original wince.nls with the ROM copy, and reset all modified registry entries. If we can run a program during start (which is possible as shown in the LeetLauncher), we may be able to replace the wince.nls and all registry enteries whenever the system is restart.

2. Trying to minimize the chance for system restart. Except the case of running testmode (which I guess it is understandable that someone should redo the installation in that situation), if we can get rid of the stupid system restart, then the font will stay. This is the exact reason I did the test which I mentioned in previous post. Well, to solve a problem, I think I need to understand the cause of the problem first. Again, specific for F500BT, which come with a battery, there should be some way to maintain the machine status.

• 11 months later...

It's quite interesting why F500BT behavies differently compare to other F-series or X-series units. I just installed x710BT for my wife's car and the Korean font stay even with every restarts. I'm trying to reduce the number of resets but sometime it's un-avoidable.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It's quite interesting why F500BT behavies differently compare to other F-series or X-series units. I just installed x710BT for my wife's car and the Korean font stay even with every restarts. I'm trying to reduce the number of resets but sometime it's un-avoidable.

I used to this tool to add Korean fonts to WinCEIMG. Now, I don't have to worry about losing the fonts altogether. :D

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31938

• 4 months later...

Originally I wrote a reply in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19394&start=15

I was thinking if the fonts would stay if we added unicode glyphs to the font file and then replaced this with the original font file stored on the unit?

Please see link below for example of what I mean:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=55408

This should get around the part where Windows will restore the registry back to default.