AVIC411.com

Can't get VR to recognize contacts please help...

I have a tmobile dash. With Jetwaremobile software i was able to pair my contacts with the avic-f90bt however when i try to call a contact with the vr software the navigation only says it did understand me and to repeat. I have also tried this same thing with my friends nokia e51 and on his phone it worked perfectly... Any ideas please i have no clue what else to do/try. I also have a tmobile wing and it gives me the same issues...

Yup, Same problem with my 900BT! It will recognize numbers, and other voice commands but when you say the persons name it either says to repeat or will dial some random number that is not even in my contact list.

I tried with TWO phones:

Blackberry 8830 with Verizon

Nokia 6126 with Cingular now AT&T

It just does not recognize voice commands by name. It seems to me there should be some sort of voice recognition initializing. Like have you say a few key words for the system to understand your voice.

They need to fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be clear, you guys have read the instructions on how to transfer contacts, and you say "call -Say EXACTLY what is under the contact name-" Example, if it says Sister at home, for the contact name you say "call - sister at home" not Call (my sisters name) or call sister?

Also if your phone is transferring the contacts, and the phone calls are working via blue tooth, the voice recognition is not unique to the phone, the voice recognition for phone contacts is entirely self contained in the head unit, and the only thing it does is tell the phone to call a certain number.

I don' tknow the exact ins and outs of this, but I know for the iphone 3g, there were weird issues where it would transfer the contacts last name, first name. So if you tried to say call - John at home" It would have no clue what you were talking about because the contact is Smith, John, so in order for it to recognize it you would have to say, call smith, john at home.

I am not sure if this is common sense or if there are issues beyond what I mentioned here, but considering the unit doesn't recognize the name you said, I am assuming it has something to do with the text assgined to the number, special characters like tim & john, that just wont work.

So just my thoughts, hope it helps out, good luck.

Go to your contacts screen and see how the names have been tranferred to the unit. There is a possibility that it has them listed by Last Name, First Name. So you have to say "call Smith John" instead of "call John Smith".

this may not be the issue but just check to make sure. as cranbers said, you have to say the contacts name exactly how the AVIC has stored them to memory which may differ from how they are in your phone.

Thanks for the advice but tried all that and nothing worked but I did find a work around.

Flashed 4 different 6.1 roms on my Tilt tried it last name first, first name last, basically every combination of contact names (no special characters) and VR commands and it just keeps saying to please try again or whatever.

My phone has never had a problem with voice dialing and I've used 3 different bluetooth head sets and 2 other bluetooth car systems (factory) so I'm convinced it's the 90bt.

I thinking it may be a problem with recognizing Outlook 2007 contacts that are sync'd over. My work around was to enter all of the contact I would need in the car (about 2 dozen) directly in the phone and then sync it which worked fine even though they looked exactly the same as the ones transferred over from Outlook. No idea why this would make a difference but after trying it over and over it really does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having lots of problems with the VR on my newly installed F900. I have a Motorola Razor. What I had to do was to remove the hyphens from the numbers in my contacts, change all the numbers to the same format like area code then the number, I also changed all of my contacts to the category "general" instead of "work" or "mobile" etc. By doing this all of the contacts show up on the F900 as just the name, and not the category. I made sure I did not have any other symbols like "&" in any of the contacts. One last thing I did was to put all of the names in the first name spot of the contact, by doing this it stops the F900 from messing up the first name last name thing. Hope this helps somebody.