AVIC411.com

thinking about upgrading from a D1 to F900BT questions

Hey guys I currently have a D1 with the touch screen out of alignment problems, I tried calibrating it but it didn't help, if I send it to Pioneer it will cost 200 so I'm thinking it would be better to spend that money on a new F900BT. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping some one can answer.

1) How different is the harness? I know it's not a direct plug in but would it be possible to switch the pins from one to the other, so as to avoid having to cut and re-solder wires?

2) I have a rear seat DVD player which is currently connected to the D1, not so much for watching videos on the D1 screen but for the sound, it seems that my 7 and 2 years olds are very hard on headphones, which are constantly with dead batteries or waiting for me to glue/duct tape them back together, so we need the ability to bring sound forward to the HU. I see that there is an AV1 input but it looks like that gets used by the iPod? Is there a way to have the rear DVD and iPod connected at the same time? Without having to use the front input?

3) I would like to get the HD tuner, but what do you do about the antenna? Do you have to get some kind of splitter? If so, is there any particular one that is better then the rest?

and finally,

4) I assume I can just reuse my current dash kit for mounting?

thanks for the help

paulc,

1) I beleive the harness is a bit different so I would just use the new one.

2) You can have both ipod and a nother video source connected. If you use Y-adapters on the audio and video inputs it works just fine. So when you want to listen to ipod you need to select ipod on av1 in the settings. When you want to watch a video, you switch to video in the settings. You just can't do both at the same time.

3) For me, using a splitter works better. No issues with MSN Direct or HD. Couldn't tell you about any difference in brands.

4)Yes

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered a F90BT off of ebay with the MS cashback deal. I hope it's not a mistake, but I figured even without a true Pioneer warranty for 480 bucks I could afford to pay to get it fixed if needed in the future. My D1 is about 3 years old and has been fine, other then the screen calibration issue and that started after about 2 years, so it would have been out of warranty anyway.

I have never installed one of these but I figured the hard work is pretty much done for me since my D1 is already installed, I'm assuming that all I have to do is locate the correct wire on the D1 harness and transfer it to the F90 harness? In other words find the constant power line in the D1 and move it to the F90 harness and so on. One thing I'm wondering about is the GPS antenna, do I need to run the new antenna that comes with the F90 or can I just reuse the D1 antenna.

thanks

1) How different is the harness? I know it's not a direct plug in but would it be possible to switch the pins from one to the other, so as to avoid having to cut and re-solder wires?

2) I have a rear seat DVD player which is currently connected to the D1, not so much for watching videos on the D1 screen but for the sound, it seems that my 7 and 2 years olds are very hard on headphones, which are constantly with dead batteries or waiting for me to glue/duct tape them back together, so we need the ability to bring sound forward to the HU. I see that there is an AV1 input but it looks like that gets used by the iPod? Is there a way to have the rear DVD and iPod connected at the same time? Without having to use the front input?

3) I would like to get the HD tuner, but what do you do about the antenna? Do you have to get some kind of splitter? If so, is there any particular one that is better then the rest?

4) I assume I can just reuse my current dash kit for mounting?

1) Dunno

2) AV1 can be for an iPod _or_ external source. I have the same setup as you; seperate DVD player in the back for the kiddo with it piped to the front so we can see what we're doing when we start mashing buttons on the remote.

3) No splitter is necessary unless you have the F90 and get MSN Direct. Not sure about AM coverage, you'll have to check into that.

4) As long as the D1 is a double din, then yes, it'll fit just the same.