AVIC411.com

Easier way to search for songs on iPod - my little trick

[quote name="BuzzH3"]you could also create smart playlists in iTunes that will automatically be populated with the criteria you select. i.e. - artist starts with A[/quote]

That's how I've done it on mine for a while now. I've got the old Alpine iPod interface in my summer car, so this made things a LOT faster.
[quote name="skicrave"]Why did you use Genres instead of Smart Playlists? You can make those 27 smart playlists (using Artist Name -> Starts With -> A,B,C,etc.) in about two minutes.

May save people some time if they want to have a similar search option.[/quote]

I like to use playlists as ... well ... playlists. (Gym, New Music, etc.) The Genre aspect of each track is something that I never paid attention to and when you hit "Search" on the menu it’s nice and easy.

They are essentially the same thing but I prefer to categorize by Genre. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! haha
[quote name="skicrave"]Why did you use Genres instead of Smart Playlists? You can make those 27 smart playlists (using Artist Name -> Starts With -> A,B,C,etc.) in about two minutes.

May save people some time if they want to have a similar search option.[/quote]

and isn't this a feature of iTunes? I don't use iTunes :(
  • 3 weeks later...
Watchcrazy...thanks for the suggestion. It took a few hours to modify the genres of all my songs but...IT WORKS!!! Drove 2 hours each way over the weekend and it was flawless. I am able to access songs and artists very easily...what an improvement. If anyone out there is frustrated with the slow iPod interface try the method suggested in this post and you will find heaven. Thanks again.
  • 2 months later...
:? wont help me - i must be one of the few that actually use the generes in my smart play lists to play Rock/holiday/Classical etc. Also, everytime you add new music to your library you will have to remember to edit the gerere field manually.

Hopefully Pioneer will get it's act together on the comming upgrade this spring and give us a better iPod UI :!: