AVIC411.com

XM November 2008 updated logos here...D/N/F/Z series!

Vandal,

I want to thank you for all the effort you put into the XM channel logo fix. I sent a small thank you to your paypal account, and would suggest that others that appreciate your efforts send you a couple of dollars for your time and efforts. You could have easily sold your work, but decided to contribute it freely for all.

THANK YOU!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much Vandal! I finally got this to work and here is exactly how I did it.

1) Get Ultra ISO

2) Using that program, create a .iso image of your 2008 disc. I had burned the one downloaded from this site a couple months ago and re-ripped it.

3) When the image is done being created, it will automatically open. Drag the appropriate files to their destination within the folder, overwriting when prompted.

4) SAVE AS. You'll now have two .iso's.

5) Burn your newly created iso from within Ultra ISO. I did it on maximum speed and it works fine.

Vandal - thank you very much for all your hard work. I installed the images last night on my F700. Worked like a charm.

Question for you:

How are the channels assigned to categories? Do you have any control over that assignment in the imagetbl.dat file?

Vandal - many thanks for all of the effort to provide these files, my D3 now looks like it should.

To anyone still having trouble with this - I made several coasters before downloading ImgBurn. I used UltraISO for the editing, but apparently 4x burning (the slowest available in the sofware) was too fast for my burner to make a disk that wouldn't get a "Reading Error" in the D3. Got ImgBurn, turned the speed down to 1x, and 40 miinutes later I had a perfect disk.

Vandal - thank you very much for all your hard work. I installed the images last night on my F700. Worked like a charm.

Question for you:

How are the channels assigned to categories? Do you have any control over that assignment in the imagetbl.dat file?

I replied to you PM but I'm posting the answer here to.

Unfortunately no...the category ID as well as channel names and numbers are controlled by XM and sent in the data stream. The imagetbl.dat only tells the Avic what text and image to display for the category ID.

Much of the annoyances with XM presets and the station text length limit seem to be due to the design of the GEX-P10XMT unit which I believe to be based off some older XM hardware reference design as I've seem other XM units that also have presets stored as 3 blocks of 6 presents (the "XM1", "XM2", and "XM3" deal). I'm also sure that XM favorites are actually stored on the GEX-P10XMT under this model and not the AVIC because if you disconnect/reconnect the GEX-P10XMT all the XM presets get lost.

The lack of support for decoding XM NavTraffic weather is another sign that the GEX-P10XMT is out of date.

Hopefully Pioneer will finally build a better reciever unit and more user friendly UI that addresses these issues now that XM/Sirius combined recievers are expected in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm guessing for the Z3, is that I would have to unlock the hard drive and then hook it up to my computer to transfer the files?

Yes, unfortunately that is the only way. If you do this be sure to disable the drive password before reconnecting it to the AVIC.

I believe the only alternatives to the $50 unlock are to get a new HD from Garrett Toomey or download the AVIC Z3 image torrent, do the cheap unlock which wipes the drive, then re-image it.

The January 2nd programming changes added Cinemagic and The Bridge back to the linup. Cinemagic kept it's station ID and thus is showing the logo from the November logo pack now. The station ID for The Bridge couldn't be determined back in November and needs to the addressed in the next logo update. XM also broke the logos for CNN headline news and Family Talk by changing the channel names.

I held off doing an update since more programming changes were slated for mid January. Those changes are now in effect, bringing back Bone Yard and 2 other stations that appear to be Sirius crossovers. Some stations also have newer logos such as CNN headline news and Sports PBP 143. XM has put out an new channel list PDF with these changes and thus I can start the process to build a new logo pack release. I hope to have this ready for the coming weekend.

great news. i was curious about one thing. is it possible to change the icon for when there is no station logo? the current one is small and kinda silly. even a generic xm logo would be better, albeit a tad redundant.

Yes, the satellite logo can be changed. Its the DPSNOT.XXX file in the XMDPS directory (large format) and LPSNOT.XXX file in the XMLPS directory (small format). "XXX" is either BMP for F and Z series or PIM for the D and N series).

It has to be generated in the appropriate format for the series like the other logos which can be a real pain to do manually. I'm still finishing up a user friendly version of the logo generator program and this would be a good option to add to it.

Unfortunately the next update is going to take longer as I found out earlier that XM changed all the traffic channels around so all the traffic channels names and logos are obsolete. They cut the number traffic channels in half and changed each remaining channel to serve 2 metro areas per channel (except for LA and NYC). It's really bizzare now too, for example channel is 221 is "San Francisco & Seattle" and 219 is "Phoenix & San Diego". Bandwidth consolidation maybe? I thought all the Sports/Talk/Traffic channels already use lower quality audio bit rates so I don't know what XM gains by doing this.

When I was on Sirius SF and Seattle were paired for traffic and weather ( as we many other areas). I'm just guessing but maybe they combined traffic and weather across both services as well.

Apparently the change is XM switching from their in house traffic system to a Westward One system currently in use by Sirius. Hopefully this will be an improvement as XM's in house traffic reporting was never very good.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/rumor ... night.html

• 2 months later...

just wanted to say thank you for the logo fix! This was the first time I have been into the windows environment to make any changes. I got it done right the first time thanks to the great instructions. Works like a charm! The most difficult part was getting to the commands at the very top of my screen!! (file, edit, etc) Thanks again!