AVIC411.com

Move from a D3

Thinking of moving from a D3. I believe I can use the same XM radio unit as I have for my current D3, but Pioneer is saying the I-Pod adapter is different.

Has anyone made the move to an F series from a D3? If So, is it worth the money?

Does the F series have the same XM issue with needing to have the graphics on the DVD rather than downloading them?

Sorry if this was asked before... I could not find it in the forum.

I moved from a D3 to an F90BT. The F90 comes with the iPod cable and you can get the unit for pretty cheap. It is definitely a change... I really liked my D3, and held off for a couple of months before placing it on eBay because I was not sure about the F90. Firmware 2.0 came out and fixed a good many problems (not all) and I decided to keep it. I do not have any regrets. The voice control within itself makes me happy I switched. Yes, the XM unit will work with the F and it has the same wiring harness. The unit is hackable so you can replace the XM graphics... in fact, this has been a hot topic since XM changed the channel lineup. Hope this helps!

I have moved from a d3 to the f900bt and its great! Very worth the upgrade especially now with the new firmware out.

Think of it as what you already have, but butter looking, upgraded graphics and resolution, voice recognition, nicer looking maps with 3d nav mode.

Also the built in msn direct isn't all taht important but its there, also the usb capability and sd cards as well. Plus being able to play video over the ipod, with on screen controls.

I would recommend the apple coposite cable rather then the pioneer branded cable for ipod control.

I am very very happy with teh upgrade and I would do it again ian hear beat, (now that the new firmware is out, prior to that I actually returned it and went back to the d3.)

I've also gone from D1 to D3 to the F-Series (700 to be exact)

I like the Nav better on the D3 (comes up faster, MUCH easier to search by Point of Interest, and also realizes when "you have arrived at your destination", and stops navigating).... but the SD reader, Bluetooth, and video playback all make the F-series better for me

I will provide one tip that I haven't seen mentioned yet: the D3 and F-Series have different ends on the GPS antenna on the end that plugs into the radio.... they do easily slide off with a super small flathead screwdriver and are interchangeable.... meaning you won't have to uninstall and reinstall the antenna

Awesome tip... Thanks!

I am still uncertain. I may wait until Pioneer comes out with something to compete with that new car pc that is out. I want Pioneer to come out with a product that is a shell so it can update and change with the times. I know that will never happen. :roll:

Im an ex-owner of a D3 (got stolen) and i've been itching for a Nav unit in my car. What i loved about the D3 was how fast it loaded up. What kinda disappointed me about the D3 was how it didn't have a USB dongle but I had an iPod so that wasn't an issue. Overall, i was 110% satisfied w/ the D3.

Now that the F-series w/ 2.0 is available, i think im gonna take the plunge again. What kinda disappointed me w/ the F-series was the smaller screen and the reports of the increased boot times. But on the flipside, there's a USB dongle AND an SD slot which is magnificent. I dont own an iPod any longer so I dont have to worry about the increased boot times when the unit connects to an iPod. USB, to me, seems like a better alternative to storing music.

I guess what im saying is that I hope the F700 is as great to me as my D3 was before some asshole broke into my car.

Im an ex-owner of a D3 (got stolen) and i've been iI dont own an iPod any longer so I dont have to worry about the increased boot times when the unit connects to an iPod

Anything connected to USB and anything in the SD reader will take ~ 30 seconds to start playing as well... it's not just the iPod

if that 30 second delay is a deal breaker, i'd suggest sticking with a D3 found on eBay or somewhere the like...