AVIC411.com

Touch Screen Unresponsive

I just recently got an automatic car starter installed, and since I have had a few problems with my F90bt.

I only had this nav unit for a few weeks, so I can't necessarily say the automatic car starter has anything to do with it-- that's why I'm posting here.

What happens is after I get in my car(after it has been started remotely), I put my key in and turn it to the on position, and I'm able to drive away. What I've had happen(not everytime too, this only happened 2 or 3 times out of the 10 or so times I've started the car remotely) is that my touch screen is unresponsive. Nothing will react to my touch. I AM able to press the menu and map buttons, but when I see the warning message pop up, I cannot procede further.

I don't beleive this has happened if I start my car normally, but again I'm not sure if this even has anything to do with a remote starter. I know they do alter wires that start and power the car, and perhaps a few other wires.

The only way around this is to turn my key while I am driving as if I was starting it again-- just quickly, so that it will repower the devices attached to my car.

Does anyone with experience in this area know if it's fathomable that a car starter could have caused this problem? Do I have a problem with my unit in general? Or is this a known bug with this device?

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't beleive this has happened if I start my car normally, but again I'm not sure if this even has anything to do with a remote starter. I know they do alter wires that start and power the car, and perhaps a few other wires.

False. No wires should ever be "altered". At most, wires should be teed into, with the exception of the starter wire which may be CUT for starter-kill/anti-grind. All the remote starter does is hotwire the vehicle, it duplicates exactly what would happen as though you had turned the key.

I have had my screen go unresponsive too, the only fix I was able to find was to reboot (cut and restore accessory power). Keep in mind, it is a computer on the inside, I'm sure we've all had to reboot our desktop computers before.

False. No wires should ever be "altered". At most, wires should be teed into, with the exception of the starter wire which may be CUT for starter-kill/anti-grind. All the remote starter does is hotwire the vehicle, it duplicates exactly what would happen as though you had turned the key.

I have had my screen go unresponsive too, the only fix I was able to find was to reboot (cut and restore accessory power). Keep in mind, it is a computer on the inside, I'm sure we've all had to reboot our desktop computers before.

Exactly what I had thought. Computers is my field and believe me, my first thought was---- F&*@$ing Windows.

I'm going to keep monitoring it, but it really has been happening an unacceptable amount of times. This would mean that unless I have a defective unit, everyone will be experiencing the same thing? Is this the case?

It's just been very frequently for me lately. I have heavily modded my unit, so I hope it's not something that I've done.

Though, a touch screen being unresponsive is a bit odd. Like I said, the map and menu buttons still work... so it makes me think it has more to do with the touch screen.

But again, I would assume the touch-screen is just like a typical hardware device that is connected and loaded by Windows.

Aha.

I know that the brake pedal is wired in a way so that if the key is not in the ignition and you press the brake, the car will shut off. So that probably somehow ties into the nav unit?

We'll need to test this out to narrow it down.

The brake wire is used to shut down the car if somebody gets in while it is running, and they try to drive away without the key in the ignition. Also, when the key is inserted into the ignition and you hit the brake, it returns control back to the car from the remote starter. Nothing special, unless you have a car with a smart key (push button start) and then the brake wire must be cut and passed through a relay.

All remote starters are required to have the brake pedal hooked up. The brake wire is in no way related to the Nav unit.

jrdiesel, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the only way I can see the remote starter interfering is if they tapped into the wrong accessory wire.

Depending on your car, you may have 1 or 2 accessory wires in the ignition harness. Tapping into the wrong one, or failing to use both can result in some accessories not turning on when you remote start the car, such as the heater. It doesn't seem likely however, as the unit does in fact turn on.

jrdiesel, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the only way I can see the remote starter interfering is if they tapped into the wrong accessory wire.

Depending on your car, you may have 1 or 2 accessory wires in the ignition harness. Tapping into the wrong one, or failing to use both can result in some accessories not turning on when you remote start the car, such as the heater. It doesn't seem likely however, as the unit does in fact turn on.

100% correct.

If a 2nd ACC wire IS needed on the remote start, it WILL shut down during the crank cycle, maybe this is disrupting the boot sequence of the unit, and in turn affecting the touch screen program. In that case, whichever ACC wire is energizing the radio needs to be set as IGNITION, or "ground while running" or "status" (depending on the make of the starter).

I have seen up to 3 ACC wires for one vehicle. Dakota, if memory serves...