AVIC411.com

heh killed my avic

so i finally got my phone working and fixed my backup camera problem (bad ground) on my 700. i was putting my avic back into place and i hear a "pop" sound (wires prob got jumbled or something. i knew i was probably screwed. so i checked the fuse hoping it was broken and it looked fine. great. am i screwed? is it worth even returning to pioneer or just better to just get a new one?

to clarify it doesn't power on at all. i wonder if its just a bad power supply. im going to do some troubleshooting to make sure its getting power and what not.

thanks for any assistance you can provide.

i think i know what i did. im dumb. i forgot to put electrical tape around one of my wire connectors. it probably did touch ground when i pushed it back in. i wonder if i fried my camera as well which was also attached. so in doing that, im assuming a number of internals could have been damaged? or is it likely to be one internal component, such as a power supply, etc? i bought this unit on ebay refurbished so i believe it is supposed to have a 2 month warranty which i would fall under but don't know since i don't believe the place was an authorized reseller. if i do have to pay i wonder if its worth just buying a new one for 300 after cashback.

thanks for any input. im mad at myself now.

you could get a new 700 for $236 if you get it before midnight with 10% ebay coupon and 30% live... then again you may have blown a car fuse... best bet would be to remove radio and power directly with car battery and see if it comes on.

I agree, he probably just blew a fuse, I bet the unit is ok.

unfortunately i didn't get a 10 percent coupon.

i tried testing the fuse with a multimeter on the unit and the radio fuse. its been a while since i messed with them but at the lowest ohms level it starts high and goes down to 0.1. From what I gather it should be okay?

the fuses seem to look undamaged (which i know isn't a surefire way of telling if its bad).

i appreciate anyones time. im going to pick up some fuses tomorrow. i hope as an added bonus to this situation i also broke my camera. i at least got to see it work for 3 seconds.

dude, look at the fuse, if the little wire is cut/black then it's blown... you'll know if its blown, plastic will also be black also did you check car fuses?

if fuses are fine then;

take the unit out disconnect the car harness, take the red and yellow cables twine them together and then the black cable and connect it to the car battery terminals... the unit should boot up if it is ok.

If it doesnt boot up;

Try warranty... if you cant get warranty, get a new one then swap out s/n stickers and return (not recommending... but worth a try if you have to)

dude, look at the fuse, if the little wire is cut/black then it's blown... you'll know if its blown, plastic will also be black also did you check car fuses?

if fuses are fine then;

take the unit out disconnect the car harness, take the black and yellow cables twine them together and then the red cable and connect it to the car battery terminals... the unit should boot up if it is ok.

If it doesnt boot up;

Try warranty... if you cant get warranty, get a new one then swap out s/n stickers and return (not recommending... but worth a try if you have to)

Don't you have that wrong ? You want to tie the yellow and red wires together (not yellow and black like you stated) and connect them to the + side of the battery, then connect the black to the - side.

get your voltmeter out, put it on the diode setting and start checking fuses the right way

when you're done, start checking power sources with the car on and off

if it still doesnt work, you've probably blown the pica fuse and its a real bitch to replace.

i replaced both the avic fuse and my vehicle fuse and it was a no go. i am going to simply put a different head unit in to make triple sure that it's getting power.

I called pioneer, and they said that anything purchased on ebay is not covered by their warranty, since they consider ebay to be the seller (not the ebay seller itself) which is not an authorized dealer.

the one time repair fee for what seems like any problem is $200 (unless there is something drastically wrong with it). i told them i wasn't going to send it in.

if i am getting power, i will probably start taking it apart or have a local repairman try to fix it. if that doesn't work ill probably just get a new unit. is that fuse you talk about terron inside the unit? why do you say it is a bitch to replace?

again, thanks for all help.

FYI, I bought my 90 on eBay and had no problem getting warranty service. I didn't ask customer service - I just sent it in with a letter telling them what I needed (reflash in my case), included a copy of my PayPal receipt and got the unit back via UPS (they even paid the postage, had repacked it and even did the 2.0 upgrade) about 10 days after I sent it... This was about a month ago...