AVIC411.com

heh killed my avic

if i am getting power, i will probably start taking it apart or have a local repairman try to fix it. if that doesn't work ill probably just get a new unit. is that fuse you talk about terron inside the unit? why do you say it is a bitch to replace?

so a search for "pica fuse"

its tiny and rather difficult to get a solder iron tip in to unsolder and replace with a wire. not saying this is the problem, but its another fuse inside the unit that isnt user friendly serviceable.

well i got good news. well good news for me at least most of you probably don't give a shit but regardless....

i hooked up another head unit today to my vehicle and it also did not turn on. hmm. having being sick of hooking up wires, splicing, etc, i decided to stop being a pussy and hook up my avic directly to the car battery as two of you had recommended. sure enough the thing booted!

so now i just have to figure out if one of my connections to the vehicle wiring harness was bad which is the likely case. could it be possible that my boyo camera which i tapped into the +12 volts to the head unit was preventing enough power from powering the head unit? im not going to try to hook it back up till tomorrow because im sick of installing and need to get drunk but...have any of you also tapped your camera into your unit power sucessfully? it was either that or a bad connection or i guess the least possible cause (and most painful) would be some type of problem from my vehicle wiring harness to the battery (yes fuses are fine).

so to sum up this long and verbose post, you all have success powering your cam by tapping into the head units power?

thank you all again.

I would still bet that you blew a fuse. I don't know what kind of car you have, but many cars now have several fuse boxes. Mine has one in the trunk, one (or is that two) under the hood, and one hidden behind a kick panel. Are you sure you have checked all fuse locations?

I can almost ASSURE you..its simply a blown fuse. Take the effort to remove each and every fuse, visually inspect each one, then reinsert or replace as needed. This is what fuses are for...to protect circuits. And this should also be a lesson to solder wires together properly, then shrink wrap the connections WELL.

holla. i found that fuse yesterday as well. looks pretty black. after all this work i did. i guess its a lesson learned to ensure you know how many radio fuses you have. unfortunately i don't have one handy but got everything installed so hopefully it goes well tomorrow when i throw the new fuse in. thank you all yet again.