AVIC411.com

voice recognition issues

Hey all, I recently installed the F90BT into my Qx4 and did the software bypass and I must say, I'm loving it so far! I only have one question about the voice recognition...does anyone else have problems when you use the VR to call someone? It works perfectly fine if I say "call...and then the number" but it has never worked when saying the name. Generally, it will reply by saying "playing all artists" which is far from the original command. Also, what are the advantages of have the "VR Catalog Mode" on vs off? I know if it's off it won't update the VR on my iPod but what exactly does that mean? Any help would be appreciated and I'll be posting pics soon, thanks!

Couple of questions for you.

1. What is the make and model of the phone?

2. Did you transfer the contacts to the unit through the phone menu on it? If so, what does the names of the contacts say that are in the unit? They are only recognized by what is written under the contacts, example if in your phone it says mom at home, you can't say "call mom" it has to be call mom at home.

3. The vr database is what stores all the artist/album/generes information for vocie recogntion. You can turn it off completely if you leave it plugged in all the time, but if you are updating information it messes up the information already saved. You will get errors at this point if you dont reupdate the database.

So a good rule of thumb is that if you unplug it on a regular basis, or sync i tto your computer to run the update each time, but if its plugged in constantly leave it off.

• 1 month later...

Oh cut him some slack, there's a lot of info on this board and the searches yield a lot of info!

I try not to be one of those guys that says, "do a search", so I'm going to give you a link to two helpful threads.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#132983

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

But there's more out there. Really, do a search.

Did you go through and remove all the special characters in your contacts names as well? No (, ), ., &, #,+, -, etc.?

Yep absolutely. The only non alpha numeric characters I have are spaces!

Actually let me rephrase - I do have a few + in there, for calling England which is +44, but I'm not bothered about those numbers being used for voice dialing. It's the other numbers that don't work. Do you think having ANY non-standard characters ANYWHERE in the phone book will affect "normal standard" entries and their voice dials?

Hmmmm. Did you try ten digit format for the numbers?

Yep, e.g. John Doe, 15152322322 with ID number 3. That's exactly the format I have. So on my F700BT it says John Doe mobile. But I can't voice dial him, since it hears "Show all artists" pretty much every time.I also tried these entries without the first "1" digit. Still no go. :(