AVIC411.com

New PAC SWI-PS..

...with better support for the AVIC line of head units!

I had heard rumors about this, but not seen any real information, so I figured I'd ask PAC directly.

See my discussion with them below:

To Whom it May Concern,

I just read on the internet that a new version of the PAC SWI-PS is about to be released that has better support for the Pioneer AVIC-F Series.

I am currently waiting to install my Pioneer AVIC F-90BT until I can get the proper steering wheel interface that works with it.

I have a few questions:

1.) Has the new unit been released? If not, when will it be released?

2.) The existing model already has partial support for the F Series.

a.) How will the new unit improve upon this?

b.) Will there be a way to activate the multi-button (voice command initialization) from the steering wheel?

I am eager to hear back from you and get my hands on the new unit.

Thank you very much for your time,

--Matt

The new Pioneer F-series stereos do not have preset function running through the wired remote input. So we say that SWI-PS is not 100% compatible if you have a preset button on your steering wheel. It will control the volume and seek and source/mode. Pioneer has elected to not change the way their new head units work.

Our SWI-PS(late January) will only change in the way it will now support the Bluetooth button if your vehicle is equipped with it.

PAC

Just to clarfy. This blutooth button. What command does it send to head units? Does it trigger voice dial?

There appears to be very little publicly available documentation on this topic.

Thanks again,

Matt

Actually, I really don’t have any information on this yet and it hasn’t been released to the public yet..

I will know more this weekend. (presumably he is talking about taking the unit to CES.)

PAC

Thank you.

I appreciate your reply. Do you know when I will be able to buy this new version?

How will I be able to tell the difference between this model and the old one? Is there a revision number?

Thanks again,

Matt

There will be a revision number and it should be available late January/early February.

PAC

So now I just have to figure out what I want to do.

I am eager to get the unit in there, but if this "bluetooth" command triggers the multi-button voice command activation then I might be willing to wait.

maybe I'll have it installed without the steering wheel controls at first, and retrofit it later when we know more about this new revision...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damnit, i really hope Pioneer fixes the preset problem in the next firmware. It really annoys me having to use the touchscreen to change the station all the time.

Let me know if this does in fact activate the VR button. My A4 has a voice control button on the wheel that I would love to use for the VR.

Any update on this? I installed my f90bt last week and have been dying to use the steering wheel controls.

I have not heard any news yet, and there is - as of yet nothing new on their web page (at least not that I can find)

Admittedly, they did say late January - early February, so i guess its just a matter of sitting tight and waiting.

the guy who instaleld it said for my scion xb i need a remote so they can program the pac

Depends on which pac you use.

If you use a PAC SWI-X you need a remote to program it, as this unit emulates an IR-remote control.

This unit is - however - not compatible with the AVIC F Series as it does not accept wireless remote signals.

For the F-Series you need the PAC SWI-PS, which is a wired remote input. It physically plugs into the back of the F-Series head unit. This does not require a remote fro programming, but the programming of the unit is somewhat tedious.

See this manual for more info

I just checked with our engineering department.The buletooth fuction will only be used to answer/end calls. There will be no voice function as far as we know.

Again, our part will only do so much.Pionner hasnt been to easy to want to make changes based on all of the complaints.

I just got one in the other day, it was the same model number but instead of it being the black box PAC always has it was a newer looking flashy blue box. No where on it though did it state anything about bluetooth button or anything like that I believe the date of manufacturing was 1-21, if there is a new one i wish i would have waited!!!

• 2 weeks later...