AVIC411.com

US AVIC-F900BT on European car

Hello everyone,

I'm willing to buy the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT from US ebay.

If you want to know why it's really simple, it costs less than the half actual price in Europe!! So I think it's worth to try annoying stuff on hacking it!

My questions:

- Is there technical problems for voltage and connectors for European cars?

- Is there incompatibility problems with US bluetooth and EU phones and GSM technology?

- Is it simple to add EU maps on it?

- Are there problems with voice recognition (I'm Italian)?

I've read some posts about similar problems but I don't really get everything. If someone is willing to help me I would really appreciate!

thank you everyone and have a nice day!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Is there technical problems for voltage and connectors for European cars?

- Is there incompatibility problems with US bluetooth and EU phones and GSM technology?

- Is it simple to add EU maps on it?

- Are there problems with voice recognition (I'm Italian)?

1. Connections should be the same.

2. I believe people have bluetooth working. Parrot in the AVIC does not really care if you are using GSM, CDMA, or any other phone.

3. Adding EU maps is reasonably easy, but you'll have to download a hacked iGO executable, a license file, and maps.

4. There's no Italian voice recognition on US units, so you'll have to talk to it in English...

Thank you BorisM!

But I really need to know if it works!

I read many posts but I need to know if it's just plug and play or you need a converter or things like that even if the connections are the same I guess voltage isn't...

The only "problem" according to what you said it's the voice recognition but it doesn't really bother me to talk to it in english.

You said it's relatively easy to change the maps. Is there a step by step guide made by someone here?

thank you

Thank you BorisM!

But I really need to know if it works!

I read many posts but I need to know if it's just plug and play or you need a converter or things like that even if the connections are the same I guess voltage isn't...

The only "problem" according to what you said it's the voice recognition but it doesn't really bother me to talk to it in english.

You said it's relatively easy to change the maps. Is there a step by step guide made by someone here?

thank you

You're welcome.

There's a thread here about adding newer/different maps (basically, replace existing iGO executable with a hacked one, drop in a worldwide license file, and load your maps).

Connections and voltage should be the same (I think most cars run on 12V even in Europe ;) and at worst you might need a harness adapter.

The only problems would be radio (US FM is different so you'll lose some stations) and traffic. I believe all of European models come with TMC receivers, but in US only 90 and 900 have MSN Direct receivers instead, which will not work in Europe...

Hi again,

didn't know about this difference about FM radio. In Europe FM goes from 88.00Mhz to 107.00Mhz i think. Is't it like that in the US?

Diego, I don't understant why you can tune 96.9 and 97.1 but not 97.0. How can I know what I can tune in EU?

By the way, that makes me think that maybe it's better to buy it in Europe, BUT IT COSTS 1000€!!!! :?

I've been thinking just the same thing to buy a US unit to be used in here in Northern Europe.

I'm aware of the FM-tuner step related problem.

For most of the units (as in my Jag's original radio) it's just a matter of changing the set continent through a key combination. The hardware FM-tuner is the same for all the units I would imagine and it's just set in sw-side to use continent based tuning steps. Right?

I would imagine this to be so in Pioneer's case as well? Does anyone know what would be the key combination / root setup or such where you can change the continent value?

If this can't be done directly from any menus/hacks, would it be possible to do a clean install with a new European firmware?

Thanks for your help! The price difference is around $1000 in Europe and US so it might be worth the hassle.

It's just what I'm saying to myself! The price is soooo attractive!

I would change my mind if we can solve the tuner problem as you're saying plehto.

Can anyone sell me the whole thing with cracked maps and modified Tuner? :D

It's really expensive in Europe and for that I'm watching for JVC systems which are "cheaper" and and also crap brands like Audiomedia. But even if I buy those brands they are still more expensive than the Avic-F900BT in US.

For most of the units (as in my Jag's original radio) it's just a matter of changing the set continent through a key combination. The hardware FM-tuner is the same for all the units I would imagine and it's just set in sw-side to use continent based tuning steps. Right?

That's possible but I would not bet on it. Euro-tuner has TMC receiver built in, and US version either has MSND or nothing. Depending on how it was implemented, tuner hardware might be different...

And BorisM is there a way to hack a US unit to recognise a local language. Altough copied rge voice and lang files into APL\IGO\CONTENT and setting the parameters in the USER/SAVE/system.ini file still the local language is not displayed as an option. But they work in my European Model.

Many thanks.