AVIC411.com

F500BT Question

Hi guys,

I had my unit hardwired last weekend. Everything, event the backup camera, works fine except for one strange behaviour. When I turn the key to ON, the unit usually starts ok. However, when I start the car, my avic turns itself OFF. After I start it manually, it performs the whole system boot up process. Sometimes this also happens after I put the key into OFF position and consequently to ON.

Is this "reboot" behaviour normal? I don't mind it except for loosing all music settings (EQ, volume, song playing). Btw, I play the songs from an SD card. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy current draw when starting an engine is normal. This can reduce power available to other devices and cause a surge. Shutdown can occur with a lack of power. Windows does not like this, and it can cause a reboot and problems otherwise.

I have had car radios/CDplayers with this issue (power down and restart) for years, many vehicles and separate head units. It is not likely to go away. A professional install isn't likely to alter this. Good luck!

If the installer didn't wire the unit as HOT all the time then this is normal.

Before you shut the ignition press power off button for only one second.

That will put it into sleep mode.

Then when you restart the car push it again for one second.

It will restart much faster.

Overnight I shut it off fully.

Hi guys,

I had my unit hardwired last weekend. Everything, event the backup camera, works fine except for one strange behaviour. When I turn the key to ON, the unit usually starts ok. However, when I start the car, my avic turns itself OFF. After I start it manually, it performs the whole system boot up process. Sometimes this also happens after I put the key into OFF position and consequently to ON.

Is this "reboot" behaviour normal? I don't mind it except for loosing all music settings (EQ, volume, song playing). Btw, I play the songs from an SD card. Thanks for your help!

Make sure you don't turn your key to ON, WAIT, then START. If you turn you key from OFF to START directly, you will be ok. It seems the F500BT is designed to monitor the power change (only when you use the fat cable with the cradle), to wake up the unit when power change from off to on, and sleep the unit when power from on to off. The logic is correct, but the implementation is faulty. Seems during the wake up process, if power drop (ACC will be off for a moment when you starting the engine), the unit will shut itself off (power off, not sleep), which trigger a reboot when you power up the unit again. By going from OFF to START directly, the unit is not respond fast enough to treat the power on at the middle ON stage as a wake up signal, so that the power available after the engine started is the first power on it detected, and turn on the unit as what you want. Works for me for the last two weeks so far, as long as I keep that in mind.

Or, if you really need to stop at ON before START, then make sure you wait long enough on the ON Position so that it has enough time to finish it wake up. Seeing the screen is not the indicator, but if you have IPod connected, started to hear the song from IPod is a good indicator. The Engine Start will still turn off the unit, but this time is a sleep rather than power off.

Hope this help.