AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

I doubt that there is an X-Series coming to replace the F-Series for several reasons:

a) The F-Series is a good platform, just the software is sucks

B) Pioneer would loose an estimated 90% of F-Series buyers as future customers for their whole product range

c) They are just lauching the F-910bt as an Volkswagen option

I'm expecting 2 packages:

1) Cost free firmware update with further bug fixes. Optional Tele Atlas Map update at a cost

2) "Upgrade" firmware update with new Navteq Maps, IGO 8.3 and further bug fixes at a quite significant cost.

If they negotiate clever with IGO and Navteq they should be able to fund their development costs.

Everything else is a no go

Jörg

Well I just called one of my local dealers yesterday and tried to order an f90bt and the dealer said and I qoute "I don't mind taking your money butni know for a fact that a brand new line is being released in 2 weeks with significant chngea so you might want to wait". I'm pretty sure if there wasn't a good chance that at least SOMETHING wasn't compmg out soon, the sales guy would been content taking my money.

Take it for what it's worth.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked about this new series from my contact in Pioneer Headquarters in Belgium and he said that Pioneer will release F9110 and F-300 players in june-july. He didn't say anything about new series.

And why would Pioneer release X-Series when they already have that (at least in Europe there is AVIC-X players).

That sounds bad...for allexisting F-Series Owners and good for you!

I hope for you that the new product is not as faulty as the F-Series still is.. Think about it and check the competition carefully.

Jörg

Any competition that you would recommend? I'm looking for something with subperb iPod support and album art etc... as well as a good Nav and a pretty interface. Suggestions?

I asked about this new series from my contact in Pioneer Headquarters in Belgium and he said that Pioneer will release F9110 and F-300 players in june-july. He didn't say anything about new series.

And why would Pioneer release X-Series when they already have that (at least in Europe there is AVIC-X players).

Any link to F9110 info?

Also I'm not saying I know what the future is, all I'm saying is that the guy I called here in the states said that a new series is coming in 2 weeks and I quote "If I recall correctly the Pioneer distributor said it would be the X Series".

Man this SUCKS LOL... I have no idea what head unit to get... the Alpine w505 looks good as far as music goes and iPod integration and ease of navigation etc... but the GPS sucks... I don't know what trade offs I'm willing to take.

I want a good sleek interface, great iPod control AND a good robust GPS including voice turn by turn... I also want good BT and 'voice command' options although voice command is a feature I could live without I guess... Why I can't I find a unit that is good at all of these things? It's like searching for a mythical unicorn that doesn't exist lol.

I do not know if Pioneer will also be providing a software update to the F-series; I certainly hope so, for the sake of those customers (and Pioneer's reputation). But it is my understanding that the reason for a new series designation is to escape the poor publicity of the F-series and to create a "fresh start."

I also contact Pioneer Headquarters in Belgium. They told me a firmware update for F-series is comming but they don't know when.

Man this SUCKS LOL... I have no idea what head unit to get... the Alpine w505 looks good as far as music goes and iPod integration and ease of navigation etc... but the GPS sucks... I don't know what trade offs I'm willing to take.

I want a good sleek interface, great iPod control AND a good robust GPS including voice turn by turn... I also want good BT and 'voice command' options although voice command is a feature I could live without I guess... Why I can't I find a unit that is good at all of these things? It's like searching for a mythical unicorn that doesn't exist lol.

Alpine by far is the better headunit as far as music and iPod integration than any other brand hands down. Pioneer's F-series has a nice iPod interface but lack some features in this area. For instance if you select a playlist and want to view the current list and where you are in the playlist it cannot be done. This is standard feature in iTunes which what Pioneer is trying to emulate with they're iPod, control panel interface.

As for the navigation part Alpine is struggling in with it navigation and bluetooth. For a while they recalled the docking unit that gives the w505 navigation and bluetooth capabilities, but have been fixed. I haven't heard anything on how they work now.

See for a while I was planning on getting the Alpine w505 but then I saw this forum (avic411) and I saw all the awesome hacks/mods that could be done with the F-Series in particular and I was amazed. I'm a hack and mod guy by nature (computer engineer by trade). I'm unaware of any Alpine modding/hacking community. The only thing is, I don't want to sacrifice functionality just because of the possibility of modding. At the same hand I don't want to sacrifice a good nav just for better iPod integration... why I can I find a unit that's like the best of both worlds? LOL

From the reviews I've read, the P1 nav unit for the W505 is garbage and the BT capabilities are laughable. :(

Now I'm stuck... do I go with better Nav and modding or better visual UI quality and iPod interface??? I'm going to try my best to wait for Pioneers fabled new product that is supposedly coming in a couple of weeks... All I know is I can't wait any longer than the 23rd of June... I'm getting an Head Unit by then one way or another. LOL