AVIC411.com

Is anyone really happy with their F-90BT?

I have a F-90BT on the way. Had a Kenwood 6140 in my hands and sent it back because this one looked and was advertised as better unit. After reading problem after problem I am thinking I made a huge mistake. Is anyone able to use this without lots of extra work? I passed up the factory Toyota nav in a new RAV4 for this system.

Just looking for some honest observations before I jump into install next week.

Thanks,

121redleg

I think you will find that most people who are happy with whatever object/item they own will not bother to join a forum to extoll its virtues.

I also think that most people on this forum seem relatively pleased with their respective F-Series Avics (mines a 500), and the majority of what I read here involves mods and hacks that people want to incorporate to improve/personalise their units: little of what I have seen relates to owners being totally miffed with what they purchased. But in saying that, I also believe Pioneer could have done a much better job before seemingly rushing them out, but then we wouldn't be having as much fun staying up all night doing all these mods/hacks :D

I am very happy with mine, and waiting in hope for Pioneer to enable us to use iGO v8.3 :wink:

Personally, I am not happy with the number of issues with the unit (if I wrote code like that, I'd get fired here...) but for what I want a head unit to do, of the ones currently available it was and still is the best... It's all about the trade-offs.

I am very happy with mine, in my opinion the only legitimate gripes people should have is the forced north up 2d, and the so-so bluetooth. I'm lucky and the bluetooth has been working perfectly, and I use mostly 3d for nav. Even when I'm in 2d it doesn't really bother me, but I can certainly understand why it bothers some people. Then again I didn't pay retail, if I had I think I'd be more upset with it's performance as a $1200 unit vs a $650.

Kind of along the lines of what S4 says here - it depends on what you purchased the unit for.

Again, like S4, my main needs were voice control for the iPod and Bluetooth connectivity for my phone. Both work nearly flawlessly. The fact that it also has Nav, HD radio, XM radio, DVD player, etc. is all a bonus to me.

As a former Rav4 owner, you are going to be far more disapointed with the engine in that vehicle than ANY headunit you could purchase!

Hope you don't plan on passing many people up! One of the most underpowered vehicles ever produced.

Cheers,

Kev

So far, not a single issue. GPS works great, IPhone control is excellent.

Tranfserred contacts, no problem

AM reception, is OK, FM is great

CD is great

Bootup time is about 20 seconds

I heard people complaining about the voice control, but so far this one has been perfect, especially on IPod. It will actually understand "play album Billboard hot 100 singles of 1998". so far, almost NO misinterpretations - bulletproof.

I have had a F90BT for around the past 2 weeks. I had it professionally installed and the unit has worked pretty good.

It seemed to have settled down after several days of use and has been working very well.

Does it have bugs, sure if you look hard enough most electronic items do have issues. This series of nav units have a above average of bugs and most of them can be fixed via software updates.

Did Pioneer rush this unit to market ? Yes, but they continue to work on issue with software updates.

The F90BT has many functions and options and unless you read the manual and play around on the various screens it can be frustrating.

But overall I would buy it again.

I am overall very happy with my F90BT and have had it about a month. Ipod controls work great, voice control works pretty good if you speak slow and clearly, and the bluetooth works great for me with a nextel i870 phone. I have installed a bunch of hacks/mods that improved it a lot though.

I had one problem sofar where the navigation stopped working after watching a movie while driving. I had to pull over and turn the car off and on to reset it. Why is there no power off button on the unit?

OK, thanks for all the input. I am excited to get the system. I guess I'll be back in a few days to start figuring out he hacks and mods! I am getting the steering wheel control and HD with it too, I wish there was a way to keep my voice button on the steering wheeel functional.

So far, not a single issue. GPS works great, IPhone control is excellent.

Tranfserred contacts, no problem

AM reception, is OK, FM is great

CD is great

Bootup time is about 20 seconds

I heard people complaining about the voice control, but so far this one has been perfect, especially on IPod. It will actually understand "play album Billboard hot 100 singles of 1998". so far, almost NO misinterpretations - bulletproof.

Sometimes I suspect, pioneer is contributing to this forum. :D

im not getting quite that accurate voice control. but i do love mine. I have an RSX w/ the bose factory in it. Pulled that out and put in the f90bt and love it. Is it slow? yes.. could there be more options? yes ... did i get exactly what i paid for and expected? YES !