AVIC411.com

Help - Problems with F900 Install into 2007 VW

Hi All,

Newbie member - found the forum after searching the web in a panic. I am in a bit of a hole after attempting to install the f900bt into my 2007 VW Passat.

Okay I bit the bullet and bought a new f900 from a UK supplier along with the relevant fitting kit for my car. The fitting kit included Din fascia adaptor and the wiring harness. I looked at a few forums then got stuck in - removing the rubbish VW CD single shot Head Unit no problems. Then I installed the GPS antenna and the Mic speaker into the car. Also no issues with fitting the Din adaptor and the Pioneer cage/ brackets. My issue is with the wiring. I hooked up the harness to the original VW wiring and then the Pioneer harness to this. Brilliant - everything fired up - NAV screen and the GPS position/ Radio worked - Sweet!

Then I realised the following:

* The Head Unit doesnt switch off with the ignition and the cooling fan is on permanently on the rear of the HU.

* As the Green parking wire is not connected - half the menus cannot be accessed via the touch screen.

I have read up on the parking brake wire mod - I believe that i just ground this on the harness to the black wire - Is that right? Do I need a seperate CanBus modulator to control the ignition and the light dimming etc?

Help - has anyone installed the F900 in a 07 Passat - if so how did you wire it? P.S - my car is a Non Nav and has no steering controls from the factory.

Regards, Matt

In my case (Saab 9-5) despite Saabs pin-out schemes, the iginition 12V and battery 12V were just the other way around.

Please get this straight with a volt meter.

As for the HW bypass, you also need to change the mute wire to a different pin. There's a topic with photos explaining how to

You can dim the screen with the illumi wire and settings, but that doesn't go for the button brightness. (although I still believe that this COULD be done with some script, equal to the dim settings)

It would be nicethough to have this working on the car's local CAN. Most European cars have light sensors all over the place to regulate ACC and brightness of on board displays. Would be sweet if that all could cummunicate with each other.

...* The Head Unit doesnt switch off with the ignition and the cooling fan is on permanently on the rear of the HU...

t

I have an '03 GTI, and connected the Power lead for the AVIC, to the "brown/red-stripe" power lead from the ingition stalk (key sensor circuit)

Pics are from this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3134807

Brown/red-stripe wire is top most wire looped, and sticking out by itself from the wire bundle:

DSC00088.jpg

Taken from the thread:

While it's completely optional, it's still a good idea to grab a parking light wire so the D3's display will dim at night and not be so distracting and/or annoying. The Gray/Purple at the light switch is a suitable wire to supply power to the parking light input. Note; Only OEM navi installs should use the Gray/Blue wire at the light switch. This wire is for the dash lights and is controlled by the rheostat. It varies the voltage supplied to dim the dash lights and while it's OK for the OEM navi, it's not good for an aftermarket radio.

The next wire is an ignition source. Many people will often go to the last 10mm nut on the distribution block labeled '75x'. While this is a safe location, I usually only suggest that as a source for radar detectors. The reason being is that it only shows power when the key is on. The original radio is nice that it turns on when the key is moved to the on position and stays on even after the key is moved back to the 'off' position. It turns off only when the key is removed from the key cylinder. An aftermarket radio can be made to function the same way, but it requires you to tap into the key sense circuit at the key harness. The key harness can be found exiting the black plastic column cover at the upper left hand side. Disassembling the driver's underside dash will gain you access to that wire. In the next 'weird perspective' picture of mine that no doubt many have seen, you'll see the Brown/Red pulled out, looped, and ripe and ready to be tapped into. (Don't forget to throw an inline 5 amp fuse on it and then route your wire into the radio cavity for the radio)

Hi! This weekend I installed the F700BT in my 06 MKV GTI (also CANBUS). Which wiring harness did you buy? Did you buy the CONNECT2 or PAC C2VWR harness that has the built in data module?

It makes things much easier with our cars and pretty much plug and play. Let me know what kind of wire harness you purchased. Thanks

Hi! This weekend I installed the F700BT in my 06 MKV GTI (also CANBUS). Which wiring harness did you buy? Did you buy the CONNECT2 or PAC C2VWR harness that has the built in data module?

It makes things much easier with our cars and pretty much plug and play. Let me know what kind of wire harness you purchased. Thanks

Hi Jules - I am using the harness kit that the ICE supplier sent with the Head Unit. TBH the whole kit is a bit cheap and nasty including the facia adaptor. Where did you purchase the Connect2 or the PAC harness> Are you in the UK?

Regards, Matt

Hi Jules - I am using the harness kit that the ICE supplier sent with the Head Unit. TBH the whole kit is a bit cheap and nasty including the facia adaptor. Where did you purchase the Connect2 or the PAC harness> Are you in the UK?

Hi, I installed a F900BT in my VW Passat 09 this weekend. The difficult part was hiding the GPS-antenna under the dash, and carefully routing the wires to the antenna, mic and USB/iPod connection under the dash to the player... Getting the USB+iPod cable to the glove box was a thight squeeze...

For hooking up the player to the car, I used a wiring harness with CAN-BUS interface. I really recommend this method for a trouble-free install. The CAN-BUS interface hooks the player up to the steering wheel remote control, and provides wires for speed pulse, hand brake, reverse gear and acc power. I ordered a Connects2 CTSVW002, worked perfectly.

Good luck with your install!

• 1 month later...

I had the same problems you had (aside from the fan running constantly, not sure because I didn't listen to it) in my '08 Jetta with the same stock radio you have. I took the parking brake wire and just tapped into the wiring harness ground wire, no problems there. However once you start moving it still blocks access, so you can either do what the others posted about tapping the other wire or use the software bypass like I did. It worked great!

As for the accessory power you'll need, I tapped into the interior lighting fuse spot and that worked, but that was temporary and now seeing where the other poster with the GTI tapped into I'm going to try that.

Those two solutions should get you to where you want to be. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this with the PAC adapter and I'm getting a check engine error. The dealership says it a wiring issue. They can't get diag tool because the F90bt is triggering an error. Engine check light doesn't appear until after a few miles of driving. I unhook the negative terminal on the car battery to reset and the check engine goes away. Error comes back after a few miles. I also did the software hack for bypass. It did not work for me.

• 3 months later...