AVIC411.com

Goodby --- hello Kenwood

Well, my car had a higher-end sounв system (Personally I would not call Bose anything higher-end, but Audi does) that has separate tweeters, crossovers, the works... There's no hiss from AVIC here...

Fair enough... so does my Element it had separates in the front but the mid cone was paper and the crossover was just a couple of caps on the tweeter to block out the mids frequencies. I think the reason you are not getting the hiss is because you have your AVIC hooked up without using the RCA's just speaker wires to your speakers. Like I said before I went to Al & Eds and put in the new unit and it did the same thing, even worst. The gains on the amps are tuned almost all the way down and I still get the hissing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my car had a higher-end sounв system (Personally I would not call Bose anything higher-end, but Audi does) that has separate tweeters, crossovers, the works... There's no hiss from AVIC here...

FWIW I hear hiss switching from screen to screen (I believe its not isolated to switching between sources) with my 700. Its connected to the factory harness (ground as well, but will change ground to body later) of my 20th AE GTI's factory Monsoon amp/component speakers. I also have Pioneer 920 XM tuner, ground to body, but hiss is still there navigating the menus.

I vaugely remember hearing it as well when I had it hooked up in my living room, to a small bookshelf speaker, and power inverter.

Fair enough... so does my Element it had separates in the front but the mid cone was paper and the crossover was just a couple of caps on the tweeter to block out the mids frequencies. I think the reason you are not getting the hiss is because you have your AVIC hooked up without using the RCA's just speaker wires to your speakers. Like I said before I went to Al & Eds and put in the new unit and it did the same thing, even worst. The gains on the amps are tuned almost all the way down and I still get the hissing.

Rears are amplified. In any case, if there is a hiss when connected to amps and not when wired to speakers directly, I'd think that the noise is being picked up somewhere, not that the deck is putting out noise...

Rears are amplified. In any case, if there is a hiss when connected to amps and not when wired to speakers directly, I'd think that the noise is being picked up somewhere, not that the deck is putting out noise...

That was my first response as well but since it makes a loader hissing noise when you select/switch sources leads me to believe that it is the head unit. The only time it doesn't make the hissing is when it is on FM or HD Radio. CD's and DVD's are usually excellent in not having hissing because of the digital nature but I get hissing from them as well. Not to be confused with wyne when the engine is revved or excelorated

Well I just adjusted the SLA for each source on my F90BT and it did make a little difference but you can still hear the hissing... but I'll take it, it is a lot better than it was. I guess Pioneer uses the SLA as a gain control, although it is not completely useful +- 4db and even turned down all the way to -4db it still hisses.

I have the HD tuner hooked up to my F700 and I hear absolutely Zero hiss when listening to the radio. It's as clear as I could ever ask for. When playing my iPod it's just as clear. I don't have any software mods on my unit and I am running it through a 200W Kenwood Amp with Pioneer speakers in the front doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear doors (F150), (got a good deal on the speakers and amp thus the mish mash).

I'm not certain why people are hearing the Hiss in their systems but I'm not experiencing it with mine. Even my phone calls are clear!

Well I just adjusted the SLA for each source on my F90BT and it did make a little difference but you can still hear the hissing... but I'll take it, it is a lot better than it was. I guess Pioneer uses the SLA as a gain control, although it is not completely useful +- 4db and even turned down all the way to -4db it still hisses.

I have my factory Bose amp connected to the RCA outputs of the F90BT and do not have any hiss - in order to connect it that way I soldered RCAs on the factory connector wires. The Bose system is a POS but the point is that I do not have an issue even with a low-end amp.

Some amps have a swtich for high / low level input as well as a gain control which can mess with the sound if not set properly - what type of amps do you have?

My money is that something is wrong with your setup rather than with the AVIC. The only true test would be to put a different head unit in there (not another AVIC) and see if the issue remains.

I'm confident with some simple trouble shooting you can get rid of the hiss and enjoy much better sound. Whereas my navi system does not sound as good as my M3 stereo (with all the speakers and amps replaced with aftermarket), it sound A BILLION times better than the factory head unit - and I still have the crappy bose amps and crappy bose speakers...for now :wink:

I have my factory Bose amp connected to the RCA outputs of the F90BT and do not have any hiss - in order to connect it that way I soldered RCAs on the factory connector wires. The Bose system is a POS but the point is that I do not have an issue even with a low-end amp.

Some amps have a swtich for high / low level input as well as a gain control which can mess with the sound if not set properly - what type of amps do you have?

My money is that something is wrong with your setup rather than with the AVIC. The only true test would be to put a different head unit in there (not another AVIC) and see if the issue remains.

I'm confident with some simple trouble shooting you can get rid of the hiss and enjoy much better sound. Whereas my navi system does not sound as good as my M3 stereo (with all the speakers and amps replaced with aftermarket), it sound A BILLION times better than the factory head unit - and I still have the crappy bose amps and crappy bose speakers...for now :wink:

Spta97,

Thanks for your input, I don't know if you read everything I said about this hissing issue I have. But this has done it from day one with the factory setup and without. This is not a amp issue or a bad ground. The head unit hisses no matter what and even more so when or as you change sources... in other words when you are listening to a CD and you select SD it makes a load hiss then quiets down to the level it was hissing before. The only time it does not hiss is when I am in FM and I think that's because Pioneer doesn't allow you adjust the SLA for FM at all. My point is that CD's and DVD's in general are the best sound source and on my F90BT it hisses on that source/s and it shouldn't. Also that fact that it doesn't hiss on FM tells me that it is not the setup rather the head unit. Like I said in the last post adjusting the SLA on each source made difference but it still hisses. Again I want to thank you for your input.

Spta97,

Thanks for your input, I don't know if you read everything I said about this hissing issue I have. But this has done it from day one with the factory setup and without. This is not a amp issue or a bad ground. The head unit hisses no matter what and even more so when or as you change sources... in other words when you are listening to a CD and you select SD it makes a load hiss then quiets down to the level it was hissing before. The only time it does not hiss is when I am in FM and I think that's because Pioneer doesn't allow you adjust the SLA for FM at all. My point is that CD's and DVD's in general are the best sound source and on my F90BT it hisses on that source/s and it shouldn't. Also that fact that it doesn't hiss on FM tells me that it is not the setup rather the head unit. Like I said in the last post adjusting the SLA on each source made difference but it still hisses. Again I want to thank you for your input.

Forgive me for not being sure as I'm still a newbie with this unit, but is the SLA the same setting that equalizes the volumes of the different sources? I could see the behavior you descibe as the unit tries to bump up the volume not sensing a signal. I had loud distored noise in general before I turned down the beep volume - what is that set to?

That's odd that you would have this problem from day one , again with another AVIC, and yet many people do not have the problem. After reading your post it does seem to point to the head unit.

I do get a little annoyed by the sluggish response at times of my F90BT...

If you haven't already, try chaning the memory allocation so that more RAM is used for "programs" vs. "storage". I have RAM allocated ~ 90% for programs, ~10% for storage. My 700 shipped with the 2.0 firmware, with RAM allocated at ~ programs ~30%, storage ~70%.

I've noticed about a 75% increase on button reation and screen transition times. Basically the unit is much more responsive switching between screens. Aside from switching to/navigating SD card, it takes a second or less to move between screens.

Thanks Colnago - I will give this a shot when I have some time.

Is there any down side to making these memory allocation changes? It seems that when this unit is modded to make something better, something else gets worse :lol:

Is there any down side to making these memory allocation changes? It seems that when this unit is modded to make something better, something else gets worse :lol:

.. You're telling me! Lately my F90BT has been booting up with an active route! I have to go in and delete the route. No, I didn't have an active route the last time I used it. It is just a random glitch I guess.