AVIC411.com

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a TV onto the head unit. Suppose I took advantage of the government coupon deal and got a free converter box that was run off of 12 volts, and a VCR that did the same, would you see any issue as to why this wouldn't work if the VCR outputs were connected via RCA into the video in on the head unit?

Basically, the idea that I have in mind would be to get an antennae, connect it to the digital converter box, and then connect the converter box to a VCR and use the "TV Out" option on the VCR since the Avic doesn't have TV tuning capabilities that I know of.

Has anyone done anything like this or can anyone think of a better or easier way to do this. It is just something I thought about while I was browsing through this site.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a TV onto the head unit. Suppose I took advantage of the government coupon deal and got a free converter box that was run off of 12 volts, and a VCR that did the same, would you see any issue as to why this wouldn't work if the VCR outputs were connected via RCA into the video in on the head unit?

Basically, the idea that I have in mind would be to get an antennae, connect it to the digital converter box, and then connect the converter box to a VCR and use the "TV Out" option on the VCR since the Avic doesn't have TV tuning capabilities that I know of.

Has anyone done anything like this or can anyone think of a better or easier way to do this. It is just something I thought about while I was browsing through this site.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I have TV in my car using a Digital Converter Box as well.

What I did was go to BestBuy, and they have TONS of different kinds of HDTV Antennas you could buy. I bought one that was very discrete, and goes in my trunk.

I ran the coaxial cable to underneath my passenger seat underneath, where I have my digital converter box. The digital converter box outputs RCA cables (Yellow/Video, RED/Audio, and White/Audio), and I connected it to my AV2 input on the front of my unit which is also RCA Cable.

The converter box gets power from a cigarette lighter, which I use a power inverter/converter. This also happens underneath my passenger seat.

So now, I get clear, digital, high definition, TV in my car.

You don't need a VCR if you have a converter box that outputs RCA (which MOST do). The converter box IS the Digital tuner. Also, I would suggest researching on power converters that convert using Pure-Sine wave electricity so that you won't run into distortion problems.

I've never dealt with the converter boxers before, so I wasn't sure if they were tuners or now. I was just browsing through some of the "General" topics on the forum and went on one of those, "Man, that would be pretty slick." tangents and tried to come up with a way for this to work.

Do you know how much those antennas run for? It's not a feature I would kill to have, but it would be pretty cool. Especially now with the bypass and such.

Thanks for all your help.

So now, I get clear, digital, high definition, TV in my car.

From what you've stated, you're not getting high definition. All you're getting out of the composite connection is 480i, regular old standard definition. None of the coupon eligible models of tuners output HD, but on a small screen like this it won't matter.

I've never dealt with the converter boxers before, so I wasn't sure if they were tuners or now. I was just browsing through some of the "General" topics on the forum and went on one of those, "Man, that would be pretty slick." tangents and tried to come up with a way for this to work.

Do you know how much those antennas run for? It's not a feature I would kill to have, but it would be pretty cool. Especially now with the bypass and such.

Thanks for all your help.

Antennas can go as low as $6.00 (unpowered), to as high as $50 (powered).

I bought a $15 one, that was a flat looking thing, and it's discreetly in my car. Mine's unpowered, so I don't get too many channels, around 30 or so standard channels, and the big name public channels come in extra clear.

You can get a powered antenna, but do know that you do have to somehow supply power to it. So if you have like a cigarette lighter elsewhere in the car, or if you know to wire another power source to a inverter/converter, you can get super reception.

The converter box is a digital tuner, so know that you either want to have a remote handy (it should come with one) or near your hand while driving so you can change channels (not that I condone watching TV and driving at the same time)

Wow, now this would be an awesome mod. I'd love to do this but I hate running wires inside the car.

Well, every since I figured out how to pull out panels, and a/b/c pillars out of my car, alot of it is hidden. Really depends on what you want to do.

From what you've stated, you're not getting high definition. All you're getting out of the composite connection is 480i, regular old standard definition. None of the coupon eligible models of tuners output HD, but on a small screen like this it won't matter.

ah, my mistake then. The resolution on the screen is so clear and digital, and on SOME channels, like the weather channel, it does say Ch xx.x HD when I flip to it.

I wasn't aware only certain models were couple eligible. When I went to Best Buy when I first got the government coupon, I was told by an employee that ANY of the converter box that they offered were eligible, and there were alot at different price ranges. What the coupon does is that is just knocks $40 off the price. I got one that was $49.99, and I only paid $10 for it.

My brother got one that was like $89.99, and with the coupon, it was $49.99 and it actually had component out on that sucker. So his car does get HD then, probably at 480p and up.

Megaman..

so what was the HDTV antenna that you got? I went on Best Buy's website & saw a bunch to choose from. Did you get an indoor antenna? And where did you install it in your vehicle? Rear window or trunk?

I got this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1806247493

4780115_ra.jpg

And that one was REALLY good. It had an adjustable tuner on the baseplate, and it's quite small. The reception was pretty good for the price. It receives UHF/VHF which was important to me.

My friend got this one here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5217076045

8939866_sa.jpg

and his is stealth install. It's on the lower part of the window INSIDE the car, which you don't see. It gets pretty good reception as well BUT doesn't get as many channels. I'm wondering if its because its inside the car, or if its because of the design. Anyways, its really small, and discrete, and you can put it anywhere.

As for the installation...In my car, I have it in my trunk BUT I drive a Scion xB2, so the antenna is fully extended, with a clear line of sight from the window. (you know how SUV type trunks are right?) So I get alot of channels and great reception.

I think the main point is that the antenna is by the window for the best quality.

Cool thanks for the reply. I might have to go with the one with the stealth install. I have a Dodge Charger so I would have to mount it either in my rear window or on my dash or something... most likely the rear window tough. I am wondering what kind of reception I would get if I mounted it in the trunk. I live in the DC/Baltimore area, so over the air stuff is not much of a problem. I guess it's just something to play with.

When you said your friends doesn't get as mnay channels as yours, are you talking about UHF channels? And is it a considerable difference? I'm really only looking to get the major channels (CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC and maybe a couple of the weather channels). I spend enough time in traffic... I dont want to end up getting home and sleeping in my car because the TV is so good! :lol:

Nice thread! I just applied for a converter box coupon, said it will mail out on 4/3. I like the stealth antenna and would like to mount it under the safari basket of my Xterra. Wonder if it would hold up to the elements?

I'm also gonna need a three-way splitter for A/V inputs. #1 for this converter box, #2 for the video out cable from my HTC Fuze, and #3 for iPod connection. All these will go into A/V 1 in the back of the unit because I don't something always plugged into A/V 2 on the front. I assume when I select A/V 1 intput as a source it will take whichever input out of those 3 is supplying a signal, so no need for an external switcher.

Megaman..

so what was the HDTV antenna that you got? I went on Best Buy's website & saw a bunch to choose from. Did you get an indoor antenna? And where did you install it in your vehicle? Rear window or trunk?

I got this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1806247493

And that one was REALLY good. It had an adjustable tuner on the baseplate, and it's quite small. The reception was pretty good for the price. It receives UHF/VHF which was important to me.

My friend got this one here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5217076045

and his is stealth install. It's on the lower part of the window INSIDE the car, which you don't see. It gets pretty good reception as well BUT doesn't get as many channels. I'm wondering if its because its inside the car, or if its because of the design. Anyways, its really small, and discrete, and you can put it anywhere.

As for the installation...In my car, I have it in my trunk BUT I drive a Scion xB2, so the antenna is fully extended, with a clear line of sight from the window. (you know how SUV type trunks are right?) So I get alot of channels and great reception.

I think the main point is that the antenna is by the window for the best quality.

It looks like you got a UHF/VHF antennae while your friend got a UHF only antennae. That would explain why you get more channels. VHF and UHF cover a different channel spectrum.

This is definately something I plan on doing. It would be nice to have local channels. Some examples of times I am going to look forward to:

1) Leaving a game and being stuck in traffic, my buddies can watch either other games or highlights.

2) Tailgating

3) Driving home and trying to find out where the storm is, but the crappy radio won't tell me.

Pretty excited. So good thread!