AVIC411.com

Voice Recogniton problem

Can anyone help? I can not get the VR to except my voice commands, the only one that works is "change source to" I can not make calls via "Call Jim Etc." and it it will not go to the correct song that I ask it to, when I first plugged my phone in it updated the VR per the iPod, (I have the iPhone) also all of my contacts are loaded into the radio, and I can not get the caller ID to show the names when people call, it only shows the number. Othere then that its sweet! :oops:

almost the same issues as the OP, my VR works good , but I turned it off (don't really use it, and it takes forever to update everytime)and I did the switching to austrailia format for the contacts and they only display the number ,still no name when I recieve a call, and no text messages show,no biggie. I am convinced this unit just doesn't want to play right with the iphone(1st gen). It doesn't really say it officially supports it anyway. Time to get a new ipod , like a nano or a little cheap one to be stuck in the truck forever. I only have the hardware bypass and the unit really does work good. I got worried seeing all the negative posts before I got the unit, but I am happy with it. Good luck

I have a customer who is having the same issue, although the VR for his ipod works. he has a 3g iphone and it will transfer his contacts, however it will not allow him to use the VR to call his contacts.

i dont know if this is a coincidence or if his phone somehow messed up my AVICF900 when we used it to try his phone on mine but my new Samsung Glyde is having the same issue. I have only had it for 2 days so I didnt have a chance to use the VR before we paired his iphone to my unit but i am having the exact same issue now. VR works for ipod, contacts tranfer perfectly, i just cant says "Call Bob Smith".

VR did not work well for me either after contacts transferred from my iPhone. This is because they all transferred in as Lastname Firstname even though they appeared Firstname Lastname on the screen. So the easy workaround is to say "Call Lastname Firstname" and it should work just fine. The harder (but better way) is to modify your radios contact database so that the info is correct in the first place. See this thread...

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22601

I finally got by f90bt to do a voice dial. Felt a little silly to actually get it to work. I think my deep voice is hard for it to understand so this is what I did.

1. Turned off contact synching with exchange mail.

2. On my laptop I changed all my contacts to just first name and used which ever phone number was the main one and removed their other ones. (Also added a 1 to the beginning of each number)

3. Changed all numbers to be Other instead of business, mobile, or home.

4. After manually synching iphone changed Region format to Australia.

5. Replaced contacts on F90 and now able to place calls :mrgreen:

I guess what it comes down to is the more you have to say to place a call the more chances for it not working right.

Yes I would prefer to have full names and all numbers but this will work for me.

Thanks to everyone who had the different tips to get my iphone 3g to work.

I have a customer who is having the same issue, although the VR for his ipod works. he has a 3g iphone and it will transfer his contacts, however it will not allow him to use the VR to call his contacts.

i dont know if this is a coincidence or if his phone somehow messed up my AVICF900 when we used it to try his phone on mine but my new Samsung Glyde is having the same issue. I have only had it for 2 days so I didnt have a chance to use the VR before we paired his iphone to my unit but i am having the exact same issue now. VR works for ipod, contacts tranfer perfectly, i just cant says "Call Bob Smith".

to update my previous post...

my customer with the iPhone was able to get his VR to work. what he had to do was go through his phone book and make sure he removed all of the /'s and &'s and other symbols that arent number or letters. he also said that he had to "ungroup" some of his contacts. for instance, if he had an entire family's cell phones listed under one contact with different names he had to undo that and give each person their own phonebook entry. i do not have an iphone so i am not totally sure what this means but people with an iphone should know.

meanwhile, my Samsung Gylde still doesnt work. with VR.