AVIC411.com

adjust gps navigation voice notification frequency

hi,

i found a post where someone talked about adjusting the gps navigation voice notification frequency.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14111&p=91772&hilit=navigation+prompt#p91772

specifically, the guy gives you way too much notice. For example, they tell you how much farther till you turn, then tell you 3 times before you turn that you are about to turn. Is there a way to have it so he will just say "turn right at Main St"?

Thanks,

Ian

there is no way to do this. it would be great if that somehow were an option. a few months back i was thinking it would be great if you could set the voice prompts to a HIGH or LOW level depending on how often you needed prompting. i doubt this will ever happen since i have never seen it on any unit. typically ON or OFF is all you can do.

specifically, the guy gives you way too much notice

No kidding. You get a notification when you're 2 miles away, 1/2 mile away, 1/4 mile away, and then when you're AT the turn.

There's no way to comment out the 2 mile and 1/4 mile notifications in the code somewhere?

The question I had goes along with this topic sorta, so I thought I would ask it here. Before buying the 900bt I thought I read a review that said it announces street names, is that a setting somewhere? Right now it just says "turn right in 300 ft" or "take next left" rather than saying "turn left on 9th street". Is the 900bt capable of doing this?

The question I had goes along with this topic sorta, so I thought I would ask it here. Before buying the 900bt I thought I read a review that said it announces street names, is that a setting somewhere? Right now it just says "turn right in 300 ft" or "take next left" rather than saying "turn left on 9th street". Is the 900bt capable of doing this?

Are you using a TTS voice or a regular voice?

Are you using a TTS voice or a regular voice?

I have it set to the voice "Jason" which does not say TTS next to it like Samantha does, do I need to switch to Samantha to enable this feature?

I have it set to the voice "Jason" which does not say TTS next to it like Samantha does, do I need to switch to Samantha to enable this feature?

Indeeed. Of the two US English voices in AVIC, only Samantha is a TTS (Test-to-Speech) voice and so knows how to pronounce street names. Jason is just a bunch of prerecorded phrases, so obviously he can't pronounce arbitrary words. On the other hand, being a real recorded human voice, he sounds better...

OK, I just got the 90bt too, I switched to Samantha TTS, she didn't say the first street I approached, which was a number, didn't say the second street I approached which was "Portland Ave." but the third time she did say the hwy I was supposed to take "hwy 62" Does she not say every street.

OK, I just got the 90bt too, I switched to Samantha TTS, she didn't say the first street I approached, which was a number, didn't say the second street I approached which was "Portland Ave." but the third time she did say the hwy I was supposed to take "hwy 62" Does she not say every street.

Hard to say... She's supposed to, but depending on the distance to turn, software might ask her to either pronounce the street name, or, if it is close enough, just to tell you to turn.

Also, some of the maps floating around are not properly formatted for Sam, but if you are running stock map this should not be an issue.