AVIC411.com

A little teaser from SEMA

I read this in TWICE (This Week in Consumer Electronics) in their coverage of new products at SEMA this week.

[i]Pioneer's new double DIN AVIC-D3 is a DVD-based in-dash navigation device that also offers video playback. It can be used with a new iPod cable to stream video and audio to the AVIC-D3 and it also works with a hideaway Bluetooth module to stream music from a cellular phone or to provide hands-free cellphone communication. It has a 6.1-inch touch display with customizable illumination and comes with maps of the U.S. and Canada and nearly 11 million points of interest. It offers optional XM real-time traffic and it allows users to navigate while playing a DVD or CD. Shipping is expected in March at a price expected to fall below $1,500.[/i]

I wonder if the new Ipod cable they talk about is similar to Alpine's cable, where there is no hideway box, just a cable direct from the HU to the Ipod. I see that they are mentioning video from the Iopd also, I sure hope it works on the Z1 also.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is like Alpine's direct-connection iPod cable.

Here is a more detailed article (no pics though. :( ):
[url=http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061031/20061031005591.html?.v=1]http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061031/20061031005591.html?.v=1[/url]

It sounds like a complete ground-up redesign. The feature list sounds a lot more impressive than even the Z1. Only thing that's kind of strange, is the smaller LCD.
Here is a video I found of it. Not having seen the Ipod interface screen myself, can somebody tell us if and how this one looks different from the current one? Does the Z1 ipod screen look different from the Dx/Nx screens?

[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069607_372539922,00.html?src=homet]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... ?src=homet[/url]
Great find on the vid!

Yeah, it does look very different than the current iPod screen and also looks different than the Z1's iPod screen. The iPod screen looks very cool!

I'm not sure how I feel about the new design. After watching the vid, it's obvious now that it has a smaller screen due to the exposed disc slot. I've always liked the hidden disc slot and motorized face that lets you have a bigger screen, but I guess the exposed disc slot will be more reliable.

Here's a screen cap of the vid showing the D3 in iPod mode.
Wow.

I didn't even notice the exposed CD/DVD slot.

The iPod control looks like its going to be much better than even the Z1/N3, and I like the fact they made it play DVDs (finally) and use the bluetooth.

I don't like the smaller screen or the exposed disc slot. But the thing is, is the face doesn't motor down, and theres only one disc slot and it doesnt have a harddrive, then do we have the change out the CD to program a route like in the N1/2/3's???

That would be a major disadvantage.

Too bad on the smaller screen too. I also always liked the hidden disc slot and the dual slots for nav disc and cd was a huge plus on the D1/2.

I can't wait to see the D3 in action :D
Wow. Bluetooth and video ipod capability is awesome. Guess you just start the movie from the ipod and then you can pause, skip to other scenes, etc through the deck. My co-workers mentioned swapping the disk in and out like the N series--doesn't really bother me at all to be honest. I nearly always listen to my ipod or sirius anyway, can't remember the last time I actually stuck a CD in. Wish March would come already
[quote name="sportsfan21"]
I don't like the smaller screen or the exposed disc slot. But the thing is, is the face doesn't motor down, and theres only one disc slot and it doesnt have a harddrive, then do we have the change out the CD to program a route like in the N1/2/3's???

That would be a major disadvantage.
[/quote]

Yes, according to the articles I read, it has memory and will remember your pre-programmed route so if you change the route, you'll most likely have to reload the map DVD. I think it will work very much like how the N3 does.

That is a disadvantage, but I think if you listen to music through an iPod most of the time, you can just leave the map in the drive.

It also has other features like ability to play DiVX movies burned to DVD and also the ability to play MP3's through Bluetooth-enabled MP3 players. It can also control some Bluetooth-enabled MP3 players. I probably wouldn't use any of those features, but they sound cool!

I don't know if I'd rush out to buy it at "under $1500". I might switch from my D1 to a D3 if those real cheap eBay stores sold it around $700, but not if it's much more than that. I'd be a little more interested in it if it had a big 7" LCD and hidden disc slot, in fact, that's what I was expecting until I saw the vid. I do wonder if it has visualizations like the AVH-P6800DVD does.
Its probably way too early to make this assumption, but I'm gonna do it anyway;

Now that I think about it a little more, I think Pioneer fumbled the ball a little on the D3.

I like the headphone input on the face (if thats what it is), iPod, Bluetooth, DVD; but I don't know if I'd sacrifice almost half an inch of screen space (which is always at a premium) and the dual disc slots for it, unless the iPod interface is as good as Alpines.

If anything, I expected them to go the way of the Z1, P6800DVD screen where the controls are on the bottom and the screen is 7". It looks like the joystick is wayyy too big, and, once again, it doesn't look like it has a mute button!!!!

Again, its probably way too early to tell, and I will be taking a trip to my local Best Buy when they get it to check it out, but I am a bit dissapointed :?
I agree on almost all counts... well, I won't need the aux input with an iPod and think it would look cleaner without it.

I noticed though, that there are no volume control buttons like the D1/D2. This means that knob is likely to be a real volume knob. That's not a bad thing, I greatly prefer knob volume controls. I think buttons look better/cleaner, but the knob is just a lot more ergonomic. I have a feeling that knob is probably multifunctional and can be used like the iPod click wheel too. My thought is the D3 will probably kick the D1/D2's butt in ergonomics and usability.

Oh yeah, and look at the pic I posted, looks like that might be a MUTE soft button on the lower left of the display.
Called my co-workers that saw it. There is a mute button on the touchscreen, that is a volume knob (I like it--I prefer a knob like the 7800DVD has--but others prefer buttons), the ipod hookup is a cable like the Alpine and will transfer video from a video ipod.

I am indifferent on the front aux input, I personally doubt I will ever use it. The tiny bit smaller screen is too bad, but I rarely watch movies anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. I like it so far, but thats just one opinion
I didn't notice that, the 'joystick' being a volume knob is a big improvement.

I saw the 'mute' on the corner, but to me it looked like the 'mute' that shows up when the cell mute wire is grounded. I like the mute button then.

Still don't like the exposed slot and the fact that you have to take the CD out to program a route.

Oh well.... we'll see what happens; still have 5 months until it comes out.
I'm still a bit new to the AVIC line. Been looking for a computer/car integration for a custom 69 Camaro. Carputers don't seem to have enough features for my liking, so I started looking at multimedia head units.

I had a chance to talk to a Pioneer rep yesterday who showed me the D3. Yes, the screen is smaller, but they claim that the intent was to have more of an OEM look with the larger buttons down the left.

It was Pioneer's intent to make this a full featured, but low cost unit. They did this by removing the motorized screen. As stated elsewhere in this forum, the disc slot is hardly noticeable, but I didn't care for the smaller screen.

Yes, the navigation will remember your current route so you can pull the disc. making changes to the route (new destitation or waypoints) will require putting the disc back in. However, the rep I was talking to recommended having your media on an IPOD, or adding their 6 disc changer.

The one thing that I loved about this unit that the Z1 doesn't have is the ability to customize the look and feel. You can set a background pic (as with the Z1), but you can also change the colors of the fixed buttons. Got a dash with red illuminated gauges, change the button colors to match. Additionally, you can control the primary color of the on screen buttons and the text.

Pretty cool unit, but I think I'll wait for these features to be added to the Z line....the rep wouldn't even hint at a Z2 in the works...bummer....

---Eric...via EVDO on the road back from Vegas....