AVIC411.com

3.0 FW question - iPhone/iPod Blurry Album Art

Hi guys,

I'm wondering does this firmware upgrade finally fix the blurry and pixelated album art when using the iphone or ipod? If not, was there another solution to the problem? It really defeats the purpose of showing the art if it looks so crappy. Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I'm wondering does this firmware upgrade finally fix the blurry and pixelated album art when using the iphone or ipod? If not, was there another solution to the problem? It really defeats the purpose of showing the art if it looks so crappy. Thanks

Nope :(

I was also hoping that it would but I remain disappointed.

Has anyone been able to determine the root cause of this? This issue persists across multiple iPods/iPhones for me. I always just have iTunes automatically fetch album artwork for me and they all look like high-quality images on my Mac, but pixelated garbage on my F900BT.

I have tried reinstalling firmware on the AVIC, rebuilding iPods, reinstalling iPod firmware, stripping all of the cover art out of my library and downloading it all again, etc... Nothing has made a lick of a difference with this issue.

Some people have this problem and others don't. I have yet to see a determination made as to what causes this though. Maybe not everyone is using the same iPod/iPhone firmware? Still scratching my head on this one...

I'm of the opinion that the people that say their album art ISN'T pixelated are folks that don't have as sharp an eye as those that DO think it's pixelated.

I have seen too many folks that have the same make/model iPod or iPhone as I do that say their art is sharp. I completely disagree. I have album art both from the iTunes store, off the internet at a very high resolution - no difference. The images ARE indeed nice on the Mac and DO look like poo on the AVIC - a bummer for sure, but not a deal breaker.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone post up any high quality images of what their screens look like with the "NON pixelated" album art; If I ever did, I would be the first to admit I am wrong, and that their must be SOME kind of workaround.

Cheers,

Kev

I'm pretty sure that at the heart of the issue, it's that the AVICs are getting the thumbnail version of the art from the ipod/iphone and using that instead of the larger artwork.

I'm also fairly sure that the newer units such as the ipod touch and iphone exhibit this more then the older units, but I bet it's the way they use the thumbnails, older units did not use the thumbnail, newer units use it in the listing of albums/artists screens.

I'm of the opinion that the people that say their album art ISN'T pixelated are folks that don't have as sharp an eye as those that DO think it's pixelated.

I have seen too many folks that have the same make/model iPod or iPhone as I do that say their art is sharp. I completely disagree. I have album art both from the iTunes store, off the internet at a very high resolution - no difference. The images ARE indeed nice on the Mac and DO look like poo on the AVIC - a bummer for sure, but not a deal breaker.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone post up any high quality images of what their screens look like with the "NON pixelated" album art; If I ever did, I would be the first to admit I am wrong, and that their must be SOME kind of workaround.

Cheers,

Kev

In my case I am sure its not my art. 99% of my album art is perfect. I went through it all and made sure it was in high res. Reason is that I like to put my iTunes into full screen cover flow when I have parties and if the art is low-res it looks like garbage. If it looks good in full screen cover flow mode on a 1900x1600 MacbookPro it sure as hell should look good on my F90.

I'm pretty sure that at the heart of the issue, it's that the AVICs are getting the thumbnail version of the art from the ipod/iphone and using that instead of the larger artwork.

I'm also fairly sure that the newer units such as the ipod touch and iphone exhibit this more then the older units, but I bet it's the way they use the thumbnails, older units did not use the thumbnail, newer units use it in the listing of albums/artists screens.

Funny thing is, even when I view album art using the Remote app on my iPhone while scrolling through - they look sharper than they do on the AVIC. It definitely seems like a way that the AVIC is processing/reading those art files, but there is NO way they look anywhere near as good as they should

Heck, I even have a screen saver on my Mac that randomly shows all the album art work in my iTunes, and I can switch the settign to adjust how big they show ups (i.e., 4 on the screen, 10, 18, etc.) and when I have them really big (probably 5" x 5") they are crystal clear - and they look bad on the AVIC?

Definitely the way the unit is interpreting the art files.

Cheers,

Kevin

Cheers,

Kev

Yes Kev, that definitely occurred to me as well and it sounds like the most likely explanation at this point. "Blurry" and "clear" are all relative to whoever is viewing it and I think some people just have different opinions of what those terms mean.

Album art all looks sharp as ever in promotional materials, but that doesn't surprise me at all :-P

While I generally agree that one person's sharp is another's blurry/pixely, I can assure you that my artwork looks perfect on my AVIC F700BT, and I've actually SEEN the blurry/pixely artwork. My 1st gen iPod Nano had the pixely artwork, and my 4th gen Nano and all my iPhones (3G and 3GS) definitely do not with the SAME music/artwork. Here's a screenshot of NOT pixely artwork from my 4th gen nano. I think I'm qualified enough to distinguish between the two since I actually experienced both problems!

Of course, excuse the blur here since I focused badly, but you can see NO pixelation around the text, which is what some of you are experiencing. This particular artwork looked awful on my 1st gen nano with the words so stair-stepping/pixely.

IMG_0054.jpg

I'm definately confused now. If you are getting this clear art on your iPhones, then it seems this problem has some sort of solution that we arent aware of yet.

My iPhone has the blurry artwork issue. I used the iTunes "get album artwork" option to get most of my album art, maybe that's the cause?

I used the get album artwork as well. The original iPhone might be the problem here. I never tested that, I only tested my original iPod nano, which had the bad artwork, and my latest gen nano, iPhone 3G and 3GS which all are fine.

I'm currently using a 3g, and im still getting the problem.