AVIC411.com

Trip Computer on 3.0 (combination of NSEW and mikeinnj mods)

I have a hypothesis. I noticed that if I switch over to the trip computer prior to the gps receiving a signal. it naturally has 0 for ALL of the values. since it's not fully acquired the signal yet.

Is this possible happening here. have we waited for it to acquire a signal. Go to the map, and then switch back to the trip computer?

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most definately! As soon as the system starts the clock starts ticking and WELL after this has booted up and has been running (at least 5 minutes) I then switch to the tripmeter and it still will have zeroes. The "start" time up in the top of the screen will show the same initial times on all 3 logs yet the system clock is rolling right along as is evident by the blue clock in the lower RH corner of the screen.

Bud

If it's not working - does the pause/resume turn it on/off? or it doesn't respond at all?

Any sort of things experienced when it doesn't work that may indicate (boot straight to navigation/etc..) the condition?

thanks,

Ben

That is exactly what I was thinking. I need to do some more situational testing on this to be sure. Hitting reset doesn't seem to do anything but reset the 0's to 0 and the start time to the current time.

I just went into the garage and booted it 5 times. I couldn't get the trip meter to respond any of them. Booted having shutdown from the map, main menu, satellite a couple times each. Even gave a min or two to finish startup. The last time I even recopied the data.zip and deleted the save files. Still got all 0's. Granted I never moved at all, the stationary time should have been counting.

Found something VERY interesting when testing this mod some more.

I noticed that in the "GPS Settings" screen, as long as the speed is at "0.00" mph (sitting still) then the unit starts to work correctly EVERY TIME! I had noticed that sometimes my speed shows that I am moving even though I am sitting still and it would just show zeroes. Very wierd!! :?

I had alsoadded this bit of code into the variable_def file:

But I do not know if that had ant bearing on the resolution (so far..**fingers tightly crossed***) on the correct operation thus far.

I will try it out some more before I am certain.

I am still trying to figure out the elevation thing. I have moved some code around and I can get it to read in feet but it won't be min or max, just the current "gps.elevation"

It has to do with the units.

I dunno... :?

Found something VERY interesting when testing this mod some more.

I noticed that in the "GPS Settings" screen, as long as the speed is at "0.00" mph (sitting still) then the unit starts to work correctly EVERY TIME! I had noticed that sometimes my speed shows that I am moving even though I am sitting still and it would just show zeroes. Very wierd!! :?

I had alsoadded this bit of code into the variable_def file:

But I do not know if that had ant bearing on the resolution (so far..**fingers tightly crossed***) on the correct operation thus far.

I will try it out some more before I am certain.

I am still trying to figure out the elevation thing. I have moved some code around and I can get it to read in feet but it won't be min or max, just the current "gps.elevation"

It has to do with the units.

I dunno... :?

that variable is just for the screen warning

Couple of things I want to point out. When in the TC screen the button next to the left arrow should say Resume when it's in the Pause phase and Pause when it's running. It will only run if you have a GPS signal, period!!!! To help determine if you have a gps signal I suggest adding the gps phase bmp to the TC screen. If it's green and the bottom button says Pause you should have data logging going on. I've been using this for three months and understand how it works, what it's capabilities are and shortcomings.

Do yourselves a favor and run Ben's data zip and see if you have the same "issues" you think you have. If it operates the same that's all you're getting from it.

No one is reporting issues other than yourself and diaftia. It's been working exactly the same on my unit pre 3.0 and after.

Regarding gps.elevation. There has to a min or max in the strings in order for it to record the min or max. The textmodel should be a variation of other.tripcomputer.max._gps.elevation. I tried several combination's and no go, yet.

With just gps.elevaton as the textmodel you'll get what is on the gps status screen as you've discovered.

Couple of things I want to point out. When in the TC screen the button next to the left arrow should say Resume when it's in the Pause phase and Pause when it's running. It will only run if you have a GPS signal, period!!!! To help determine if you have a gps signal I suggest adding the gps phase bmp to the TC screen. If it's green and the bottom button says Pause you should have data logging going on. I've been using this for three months and understand how it works, what it's capabilities are and shortcomings.

Do yourselves a favor and run Ben's data zip and see if you have the same "issues" you think you have. If it operates the same that's all you're getting from it.

No one is reporting issues other than yourself and diaftia. It's been working exactly the same on my unit pre 3.0 and after.

Regarding gps.elevation. There has to a min or max in the strings in order for it to record the min or max. The textmodel should be a variation of other.tripcomputer.max._gps.elevation. I tried several combination's and no go, yet.

With just gps.elevaton as the textmodel you'll get what is on the gps status screen as you've discovered.

This brings up a question. If it starts out with a weak GPS signal (say I start my car in the garage) it will read all 0's. If once it gets a GPS signal will it then start counting or is it lost until restart? What I am asking is if it misses the GPS signal in the beginning because its weak will it not then go back and check for a signal to start "tripping"? ;)

This brings up a question. If it starts out with a weak GPS signal (say I start my car in the garage) it will read all 0's. If once it gets a GPS signal will it then start counting or is it lost until restart? What I am asking is if it misses the GPS signal in the beginning because its weak will it not then go back and check for a signal to start "tripping"? ;)

As long as you have signal strong enough to have a route going without it saying gps signal lost and the pause button is showing it should be logging. Notice how the unit acts erratically when trying to acquire a gps signal, the trip computer does the same.

If you drive 5 miles with a weak signal you may get intermittent data. You'll also notice as it's getting the signal it be recording data as the gps locks in on the satellites. I've sat in my house with my unit and as the signal goes in and out I've seen a max speed reading of 186 mph and an elevation below sea level.

If your unit gets a week signal periodically, the trip computer will not be very reliable. For my commutes to and from work, I have yet to lose a signal once it's locked in. No signal, no tripping.

I have an exteremely strong signal all of the time. I am just a stones throw from Los Angeles so that has never been an issue. I noticed, however, that if I am underway and the system "reboots" for what ever reason (it has done it alot lately either by virtue of multiple mods or the fact it is still a POS...3.01 is slower...not faster) then it will definatly be frozen from the get go which confirms my suspicion that it is somehow tied to the speed signal (at least on mine) and I DO have the VSS hooked up as well.

I dunno but for now I'm not going to lose sleep over this mod. It'll get worked out :)

Thanx again to all of the contributors who made this mod possible!!

Bud

I found the correct bmp file but I will still getting the same system error. I even removed the $ from the bmp fild andc removed the $ form all the code in the nav 800 file but I am still getting the same error. Any suggestions? Again, thanks for your help,

Bryan

Trying to add the trip computerto my system and I'm getting and error saying the system can't find $tripcompbg.bmp. Anyone know where to find this? Thanks for the help.

AFAIK if your bmp has a $ sign infront it means that your image should be in your common folder otherwise it should be in your 800_480 folder