AVIC411.com

Installer is apprehensive RE:NAV illum

My installer is apprehensive about connecting the illumination wire for the NAV. He said he doesn't connect it as a policy because he fears it could blow my BCM. He said he would do it for me if I wish but that he recommends against it. Can anyone put my mind at ease so I can tell him to do it with confidence?

Thanks

That's actually a valid concern for a lot of Nissans. For some reason when you hook up the illumination wire to some head units it will immediately burn a trace in the BCM, rendering the BCM pretty much useless (unless you're good with electronics and soldering).

I wouldn't really worry about this happening tho unless your vehicle is older. I haven't really heard of any of these cases with the F-series either, so you're probably safe.

This is a pretty popular myth out there. No, they don't fry BCM's and switches, they do fry out if the wire gets shorted out, or hooked up to 12 volts. The wire in the factory wiring behind the deck is often unfused after the dimmer switch.

That usually happens after a theft job, or installation related. Sometimes a DIY guy or an inexperienced installer will get the urge to tie org/blk and org/wht together in their aftermarket harness.