AVIC411.com

X910BT names will not appear for incoming calls

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have a solution for you but I am pretty sure this has something to do with the iPhone. it is very common for people to have bluetooth curiosities with iPhones. usually it all has to do with the iphone settings.

do you have problems when trying to make phone calls with voice commands? do your contacts appear in the contact menu?

The following applies to ALL cell phones, not just the iPhone.

Make sure that your contacts are stored in EXACTLY the same format as your incoming caller ID.

ex. If you get an incoming call from someone who is not in your contact list on your iPhone it may appear as

+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If your contacts are saved as xxx-xxx-xxxx (without the +1 in front) then they AVIC may not associate the incoming caller ID with the phone number in your contact list because it is missing the +1.

This is just an example of how the format may be different, your mileage may vary. Just look for anything that may be different between the format of the received caller ID phone number and the way you have it stored on your iPhone. I had to do this with my phone to make the names appear on my HU instead of just the number.

Have you tried clearing the memory from the navi and then re-transferring your phone book. i have noticed that if you simply try to overwrite your phonebook nothing acually happens. even though it will prompt you by saying "this will replace all existing contacts", it doesnt actually do that.

you will need to go into phone settings, then go down to clear memory and erase the stored memory in the navi.

try that to see if it helps.

I just reformatted my contacts so the HU can match up with it and still just numbers. When a contact appears on the HU, example my HU has Mom Mobile because the iphone forces you to choose mobile,home, work etc... could that be the reason why the name doesnt appear when she calls.

Having the numbers sorted by type will not cause the issue you are having. I have mine stored that way and it works perfectly. The HU actually recognizes the categories properly as well and allows you to specify the type when dialing.

Another thing to look for is duplicate entries. If the same phone # is stored 2x in the directory it can confuse the system and cause it to only show the number and not the name as it can't decide which one it wants to show (even if they are under the same name).

the names and numbers on my HU match my phone and still when an incoming call is reveived it still just shows the number... I am getting so tired to have to look at my phone to see who is calling. I bought this unit because I read that this model adopted well with the Iphone... I am so dissapointed.

• 3 weeks later...

i also have an iphone 3gs and i have noticed the same issue. i am going to do some testing tonight when i get home to see what format is required for the name to be linked to the number of an incoming call.

*edit: turns out the way the the iphone stores phones numbers is not compatible. the iphone stores as '(555) 555-5555' or '1 (555) 555-5555' and the avic needs '15555555555'. i guess i will just have to manually edit the entries using the phone book editor found here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22601

I agree the format on the 3gs for phone number has the (xxx)xxxxxxx rather than xxxxxxxxxx did the phone book editing work... if so how did you do it.. If not is there another way to edit the numbers... went to apple store yesterday and there isnt a way that they know to edit it on the phone.