AVIC411.com

MSN Direct to be shut down

Once again, companies (i.e., Pioneer) and consumers who chose Microsoft as a technology partner or provider are left out hanging:

MSN® Direct Service Announcement

MSN Direct service will be available only until January 1, 2012.

https://www.msndirect.com/MSNDirectServ ... ement.aspx

Microsoft recommends one contact one's navigation device vendor to inquire about returns:

FAQ

3. I just bought an MSN Direct enabled navigation device, what do I do?

MSN Direct service will continue to be available until 01/01/2012. New 12 Month subscriptions will continue to be offered through December 2010. If service beyond 01/01/2012 is a concern, please see your retailer for information on device returns.

Anyone remember PlaysForSure MP3 players and music purchased under that Microsoft system? Piece of advice: call Pioneer A.S.A.P.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what does my confirmation email mean???

This mail is confirmation that you successfully purchased MSN Direct Navigation Services One-time Payment on Friday, October 09, 2009. Here is a description of your purchase:

The MSN Direct Navigation Services One-time Payment Plan includes Traffic, Gas Prices, Weather, and more for a one-time payment of $99.95 + applicable taxes. Service is not transferable to a new owner if you sell the device, and may not be transferred to a different device. Service is not guaranteed beyond January 1, 2014. Your payment instrument will be charged immediately upon completion of signup. You can cancel this subscription and receive a pro-rated refund at any time during the first three years of your subscription by calling MSN Direct Customer Service at 1-866-658-7032.

I just called and had my service "truncated" to the January 1, 2012 date and they are sending me a refund of $129.59... of the original $129.95 I paid for the card. That makes a total of $.36 for 2 years of remaining service.

This went from good deal, to a terrible deal, to a phenomenal deal in just a few days. I did confirm with the rep on the phone that anyone that has these cards and has activated them can get the same prorated refund based on how long they've had it activated. I had mine activated for 2 days and it cost me .36.

Here is what I would suggest to anyone that may have gotten their cards from me. Activate your card right away, if you haven't already. Got to your MSN account page and make sure your correct address is updated, they will be sending you a check. Wait about 2 days. Call in "irrate" that they are going back on their word. Demand an immediate refund but be clear that you want your service to continue until at least 1/1/12. They don't speak very English very well so you'd have to deal with that. But within 6 weeks (I know that sucks), you'll get a check for virtually your entire amount paid and get to use it until 2012.... or as long as it's around... who knows how long they will actually leave it up and running. But for a near total refund, thats not too bad aye?

Let me say here, if you've purchased a card from me and have activated it, I cannot give you a refund. If the card is activated, it cannot be returned to Best Buy. You will have to go through the same motions as the rest of us and get your refund from MSN. If you have NOT activated your card, I can see about getting you a refund, however you will need to provide me the number I sent you so I can confirm that it has not been activated. At that time, I will see if I can get a refund from Best Buy. But again, not sure why you'd want to do that, as at this point it seems you can get the remaining 2 years of service virutally free if you just call MSN yourself.

BTW, to anyone that wants a virtually free subscription card, let me know. These things just turned into one hell of a deal.

If you have any concerns, just let me know.

I just called and my refund is $129.24, and I will still have service until Jan 2012.

Sweeet!

OK folks, I was going to take these back to Best Buy but is sounds like what I experienced is the same thing Garret got. Too bad it's ending, but here is your chance to get 2 years of service for next to nothing. Let me know ASAP. I don't want to hang on to these things for too long and get stuck with them. I'll probably take back what I have given out by the weekend.

Cheers, JR

Just yesterday I was thinking about starting a new thread and asking if anyone else was getting nervous because the lifetime subscription ended and at the same time the ND-MDT10 was showing up 'out of stock' or just disappearing from websites altogether.

I guess I know why now. And I just purchased my lifetime subscription 2 hours ago at a Best Buy. My z110 is still in the box. I think I'll just jump ship to Kenwood, but this is going to tank the resale value. No wonder Pioneer is offering rebates.

Guess I'm not sure what the big deal it. It WILL be available for the next 2 years and I'm sure in that time frame Pioneer will come up with something else to get Traffic on their unit, I'm sure. Sucks that I just paid $100 for the MSN module, but w/e. Got the subscription pretty much for free. I'm still a happy camper. Something will come along to take it's place. Sounds like MSN (aka Microsoft) f'd Pioneer on this one, huh, imagine that... I'm sure they'll fill the void.

Guys.. there is no other alternative to MSN Direct no other way to get data.. I called Pioneer to complain and I was told there would be a new unit out to replace the Z110BT... you have got to be kidding me.. The guy said new navs are to be out because technology is evolving so fast that it has a life span of 2 years... WTF Pioneer... Damn I sold my Z to get this new one and I gave up XM traffic which by the way at least gives you consistent traffic where the Direct MSN sucks... Call and complain to Pioneer... someone there should lose their jobs for this by not giving another option for traffic.

Well, I've had my current head unit for 5 years now. Which I admit is a fairly long time for this type of technology. But there is no way Pioneer is going to update the z110 with some other service. They are just going to replace it with next year's model. Which means if I stick with it, in 2 years I'll not only have to rip it back out but resale will be zero and I'll more than likely need a new ipod cable, a new satellite tuner, a new traffic tuner, possibly new steering wheel controls, etc.

When I thought it was going to be 4 years (2014), I was willing to go down this road. Now I have to rethink this.

Same thing here. I called and they refunded me 129.00 in the form of a refund check. They said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to receive the check. You don't have to beg or insist on this action. They are extending this to everyone with a lifetime subscription but you do have to call to get it. They will be canceling your subscription but they will continue to give you the service free of charge until the anniversary date of your sign up in 2012. So if you signed up in October you will receive service till 10-2012. Thanks to forum member 6605stang for this very useful info.

Same thing here. I called and they refunded me 129.00 in the form of a refund check. They said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to receive the check. You don't have to beg or insist on this action. They are extending this to everyone with a lifetime subscription but you do have to call to get it. They will be canceling your subscription but they will continue to give you the service free of charge until the anniversary date of your sign up in 2012. So if you signed up in October you will receive service till 10-2012. Thanks to forum member 6605stang for this very useful info.

I was told that service would not be available to ANYONE after Jan 2012...

People just be sure you save the conformation number they give you when you call in. If its going to take 4 to 6 weeks to receive your check, there is plenty that could go wrong in that time. Its best to have something to refer to if you never receive your refund and have to call them to inquire.