AVIC411.com

Upgrade from v2 to v3..(EU UNITS ONLY)

First thanks for the many posts and advice (some of which I have copied and pasted in here).. i thought I would just post this to help others..

This upgrades a F700BT / F900BT from Firmware 2 to 3.020200 for FREE..

ok.. 1st I would collect the files you need.

used on my F900BT Europe (UK) version

This is for a EU unit..

1. latest WinCE version from 3.0202 EU.. http://www.cdrpro.co.uk/wince.zip

2. Testmode 2.3.. http://www.cdrpro.co.uk/testmode.zip

2. Copy of 3.000303 Flash drive.. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26625&p=182800#p182768 (I had to use the par files to correct the croupt data)

3. Upgrade 3.00202 from pioneers website.. http://www.pioneer.eu/files/support/avi ... 020200.zip

You will need 1 SD 2GB Card to do this.

1st upgrade your WinCE Version

1. format an SD card on your PC using the FAT32 file system

2. Check that your SD has no files on it

3. Copy from the files WINCEIMG.BIN and WINCEIMG.CKS from the above zip to the root dirctory of your new SD card

4. Verify the only files on the new SD card are WINCEIMG.BIN and WINCEIMG.CKS

5. Boot your avic into the service mode using the next steps

6. Power on the AVIC

7. When the boot screen appears, Press and hold in the Menu, Map and Eject buttons

8. Press the reset keep pressing in the eject button , Menu, Map.

9. You will see Blue screen with the words "Please push reset key again", you can now let go of the keys

10. Enter the password, Press UP, UP, DOWN, MENU, LEFT, RIGHT

11. You will now be in the service menu.

12. Its a good idea to test the Bluetooth while you are here so do that if you like. NOTE: Option 2 in the bluetooth menu will bot work with a special cable

13. Go into the WINCE Upgrade menu

14. Insert the SD card we made in the first 6 Steps

15. Select the first option, "WINCE by SD/MMC (Format). This will reformat "My Flash Disk"

16. The Winceimg files will now copy into flash. This takes about 5 mins to complete. On the bottom of the scree you will see this as it's done.

17. Wait till you asked to restart

18. Press the reset button again.

You have now re-flashed your AVIC but "My Flash disk" is empty. We now need to reinstall the Files

Next re-install the Flash Drive

You will need 2gb SD Card for the next part

1. Extract the testmode.zip to the root of the SD Card

2. Extract the archive avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300.rar to the root of the SD card

Your SD Card root directory will look like

Testmode

My Flash Disk

3. Boot from the SD Card in your F900BT unit, you will be presented with the Windows Mobile desktop.

4. Open Explorer and locate the "MY Flash Disk" on the main unit (not the My Flash Disk on the Storage Card) and delete everything from inside it. ONCE YOU HAVE REACHED THIS POINT,DO NOT SWITCH OFF UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THIS TUTORIAL.

5 Navigate to the Storage Card and into the "My Flash Disk" directory. Select EDIT and SELECT ALL, then select EDIT and COPY. Navigate back to your "My Flash Disk" inside the main unit and select EDIT and PASTE.

Wait 15 minutes for it to complete, and once done you can restart the unit. You can then update to 3.020200 using the standard Pioneer update.

NOTE - I couldn't manage to tap on my EDIT button at the top of the screen until I had calibrated the screen (think the option was in contol panel) so.. start button, control panel.. or settings, something like that :-)

Steve

[added info via Reebs (post 5)]

Just a quick note, regarding corrupted downloads.

If you download these archives (the 'copy of the flash drive' ones) as they are, you'll find that they simply will always be corrupted. This isn't a corrupt download, so download again will not help. Sadly, it seems the author of these files kinda screwed up in a silly way.

rar will expect the files to have certain names. and will fail if they are incorrect, as they are here. I had problems with the italy file, as well as one other (which I cannot remember right now). This was caused by rar decompressing the files in the wrong order, and falling over every time.

The solution is simple. Rename the files, like so:

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part1).rar --> My Flash Disk.part2.rar

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part2).rar --> My Flash Disk.part3.rar

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part3).rar --> My Flash Disk.part1.rar

It sounds crazy, but it worked for me, using the Linux unrar command line interface (I could've used a GUI program as well, but I *really* wanted to make sure it was all okay) I confirmed it all extracted okay. I also tested with the provided par files, all is well after being renamed.

Any chance this could be added to the main post? Doing this seems to make the par files redundant. rar does have CRC checking built in, so unless it complains, you won't be needing the par files.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need to download all 3 parts from the Flash Drive bit on the link you suggested? Also what PAR files did you need to use to correct the Rar files?

because the image (rar's) are so big the person has split them into 3 parts. You then use something like 7zip ( http://www.7-zip.org/ ) to extract the rar files. A rar file is like a zip file... a compressed file that contains folders / files.

It is possible and happens quite alot the the rar files get croupt and will not extract. The person has also provided PAR files. These files can repair RAR files.. not sure how they work but there very clever.. lol

To use par files you need to download something called quickpar ( http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ ). Install this then click on one of the par files you have downloaded. It will then check all the rar files to see if they need repairing. I would advise you do this so you know the files / folders are correct before transfering them over to your unit.

Steve

Hi,

Very new to all this and still ready all the posts I can before attempting to mod my F900BT. One question with the files needed from the link. Do I grab all the rar files and all the par files? Also the first 2 par files have the same file name but are different sizes? What should happen here?

Thanks.

I followed your instructions mate and everything works perfectly.

However, whenever I use the Pioneer upgrade the system continues to display System Startup. Please Wait.

So I re-install your version and everything works fine again.

So, I was thinking, if I boot into testmode to do the Pioneer update, and follow the same instructions like you said, would that work?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note, regarding corrupted downloads.

If you download these archives (the 'copy of the flash drive' ones) as they are, you'll find that they simply will always be corrupted. This isn't a corrupt download, so download again will not help. Sadly, it seems the author of these files kinda screwed up in a silly way.

rar will expect the files to have certain names. and will fail if they are incorrect, as they are here. I had problems with the italy file, as well as one other (which I cannot remember right now). This was caused by rar decompressing the files in the wrong order, and falling over every time.

The solution is simple. Rename the files, like so:

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part1).rar --> My Flash Disk.part2.rar

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part2).rar --> My Flash Disk.part3.rar

avic f900_700_500 ver_3.000300(part3).rar --> My Flash Disk.part1.rar

It sounds crazy, but it worked for me, using the Linux unrar command line interface (I could've used a GUI program as well, but I *really* wanted to make sure it was all okay) I confirmed it all extracted okay. I also tested with the provided par files, all is well after being renamed.

Any chance this could be added to the main post? Doing this seems to make the par files redundant. rar does have CRC checking built in, so unless it complains, you won't be needing the par files.

mm sometimes it loses settings (language, color illumination, camera) any suggestion ? is there some sort of reset i'm missing ?

Are you finding that you are loosing FM stations as well? Is the unit not resuming playback every time you start the engine, but instead just showing the main menu?

If this is the case, then you have a wiring problem that a simple adapter can fix.

If not, then I've not had any major issues. I think it once lost illumination color, but I've not noticed the other issues you describe.