AVIC411.com

Z2 or z110bt

You can get a Z110BT for fairly cheap, actually. About 750 bucks nowadays.

Don't get a Z3 if you can help it. I have one, and like it, but it's old hat. Pretty soon Pioneer won't even give any support for the thing.

The big difference, in a word, is EVERYTHING.

They are completely different units, both in hardware AND software.

The Z110BT has an awesome IPod interface which is what most people use for music these days. It also has sd card support too. I have never really played with the old Z series but I hear they were much slower in operation and the voice control was much less efficient. I have heard the Z3 started a wee bit quicker and had a few extra nav features however. I just bought a Z110BT myself and am patiently awaiting its arrival.

Is the IPOD interface that much better on the Z110BT then the old F series? I have a D3 and know someone with a F series and did not see that much of an improvement from D3 to F series. Even with the latest software the F series is still slow, command touches are slow and things tend to stick or take their own sweet time.

Z series was cool, pop in a CD and it rips its own songs from it. I agree it was way too expensive but still built in "Japan". Ever notice when things start coming from China the prices bottom out.

Anyone ever find out what the biggest sized hard drive was which you could attach and use with a Pioneer unit? Can you plug one of those 750gb WD portable USB drives into one?

The iPod interface on the Z is the same as on the F/X series and is better then that on the D3 in the way it works. Also you get full iPod video support on the F/X/Z110 series unlike that on the D3. Now when it comes to the speed of the interface that something completely different. The Z is much more of a stable and functional platform then that of the F/X series units and has none of the slow boot or interface issues of the F/X series. The Z120BT upgrade to be released around the summer will completely change the AV interface and improve it substantially. It will also add some cool new features. You can view the demo vid of the X920BT on the X920BT thread to get an idea of whats to come. The Z120BT and the X920BT will have the same software.

I've actually had a lot of luck with videos stored on SD and played on the Z110bt. I basically download youtube videos in mp4 format and save them to the SD card. Pop in card and switch to video(if you got music on there also) and 80 to 85 percent of time video works and shows beautifully. Give it a try and see how it goes.

The answer to that question would be yes for most people but I have heard that the Z120BT will have more ram and hence be faster than the Z110BT. That is just speculation at this point even if I heard it from a Pioneer rep. There will be an update released that will essentially make the Z110BT a Z120BT around the same time as the release date for the 120. That is what I have heard anyway and one of the reasons I just picked up a Z110BT actually. It is a much cheaper way to go at this point in time even if it is a little risky as to whether it will be exactly the same as the 120 after that update. Yes, the 120 will have the most up to date maps too which will be included in that update (for the 110) I mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes I agree, it would be wise to go with the z110bt now vs waiting for the 920 - too many unanswered questions to wait ... plus, u would think just like the z1,2 and 3 that the update from the 110 to 920 would work in the same fashion. i'm in the market for a z110bt am looking to find one @ a reasonable price.