AVIC411.com

Installing MSN and HD radio - antenna Y

Couldn't find much on this topic - I'm looking to add HD radio and MSN.

Does the MSN connect through the HD module - or just the standard antenna port? Also, should I use an antenna Y cable to plug into both HD and the standard antenna jack - to allow either to be used?

I think I've seen that some run both HD and analog (for traveling, etc)...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

I fully understand you need the module (MDT10). Just looking for install advise - and weather to use a Y cable to support both the MSN module, and the HD module. Also - looking for advise on if others use a Y splitter to allow HD radio and standard radio - and how that seems to be working for them...

Doesn't using the HD tuner kill AM/FM in the source menu? If thats the case, using a splitter would be pointless

That is part of the question - if it does kill the AM/FM form the source, then would you just put in a switch to enable/disable the analog tuner (power it up selectively)? I've read a few posts where HD may not always be the way to go - just wondering if anyone has played around with this setup....

I had HD and took it out. I lost the source for AM/FM. It was all under HD and I did not like the way to switch/toggle between the 2.

What didn't you like about it II understand there is no source labeling) - what all were the engatives?

How did you switch between sources (powering the unit up/down?)?

TIA!

I had HD and took it out. I lost the source for AM/FM. It was all under HD and I did not like the way to switch/toggle between the 2.

What didn't you like about it II understand there is no source labeling) - what all were the engatives?

How did you switch between sources (powering the unit up/down?)?

TIA!

I ran into this issue with my install. Basically, you just run the car antenna into one of the units (HD or MSN, can't recall) then run the antenna out into the remaining unit, and then run the out from that into the HU.

As far as the toggle issue, what the other person is talking about is right now you have AM and FM as their own sources, so when you scroll through source those are active; however, with HD, all the bands are part of the HD source, so if you want to go from AM to FM you have to do it from the interface. Kind of a pain, but if you don't listen to much radio and only have a few "go-to" stations, it's not a problem. I listen to two AM stations and one FM station, so when I go from AM to FM or vice versa I'm already on the station I generally want.

Overall, HD isn't that big of a deal, though I will say the sound quality is much better if you have a good system. Esp. when you are coming over from the Sirius-XM source which is garbage AQ.

Also with HD you loose all the information with the presets. I use my radio like the TV, I'm always surfing. HD did not work for me. The sound quality is better with HD. That was about the only thing I liked. When I weighted everything out it was a no brainer for me to dump it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There is a pass-thru for the antenna so you don't need a Y connector

I ran into this issue with my install. Basically, you just run the car antenna into one of the units (HD or MSN, can't recall) then run the antenna out into the remaining unit, and then run the out from that into the HU.

So that i'm understanding above posts, i show below screenshot of the installation page from GEX-P20HD unit (i'll be using it with my AVIC-Z120BT HU updated with CNSD-210FM, and ND-TMC10 traffic tuner). So, which is it? The (1) is the right installation?

1) vehicle antenna --> traffic tuner --> HD radio (don't connect to HU's antenna input since HU AM/FM is disabled when HD radio is attached)

2) vehicle antenna --> traffic tuner --> HU (is HD radio getting antenna signal through IP-BUS??? Probably not)

3) vehicle antenna --> traffic tuner --> Y splitter --> HU (perhaps HU AM/FM is used alongside HD radio??? unlikely...)

......................................................................... |

..........................................................................+--> HD radio

4) ... something else ??? ...

snag1112.jpg