AVIC411.com

Bluetooth Keeps Disconecting

I just installed the bluetooth module on my Z-1 it works for a couple of miniutes then drops the bluetooth connection out of no where. I am using a verizion XV-6700 Pocket pc phone. Any ideas? Also the FM reception is terrible the reception is perfect with the stock radio so I know the antennna and wire is good. Are these units notorious for this? the antenna in the care isn't great it's in the rear glass of my STi. I purchased a better antenna do you think this will help?

I have heard of issues with smart phones disconnecting. I don't know if it's the phones fault or the Z1's fault, but they are not that compatible. Just what I have heard.

As for the FM reception, most in glass antennas use electronic amplifiers to power them since in glass antennas basically stink compared to standard whip ones. My guess is the stock radio was used to "power on" this amplifier for better reception and when you installed the Z1 you didn't hook it's power antenna wire to the wire in your vehicle which needs to be turned on in order to power up your antenna's amplifier.

Just a guess.

Normally the Z1 has very good radio reception.

I have heard of issues with smart phones disconnecting. I don't know if it's the phones fault or the Z1's fault, but they are not that compatible. Just what I have heard.

As for the FM reception, most in glass antennas use electronic amplifiers to power them since in glass antennas basically stink compared to standard whip ones. My guess is the stock radio was used to "power on" this amplifier for better reception and when you installed the Z1 you didn't hook it's power antenna wire to the wire in your vehicle which needs to be turned on in order to power up your antenna's amplifier.

Just a guess.

Normally the Z1 has very good radio reception.

I have had both of these issues with my Z1...

FM reception was fixed by the use of a antenna amplifier. Works perfectly now.

As for the Bluetooth problem....I also have a Sprint PPC-6700. It too seems to drop calls because the BT disconnects. It happens intermittently. Its funny because it stays connected if there is no activity going on....Just after a few minutes on the phone.

Any clues? Anyone, anyone?

After going crazy trying to find out why my Treo 700W loses it's blue tooth connection with my AVI-Z1 while I'm talking I called tech support and they said that the phone must use the following blue tooth profiles:

Generic Access Profile (GAP)

S Discovery Protocol Profile (SDP)

A2DP

Headset Profile or Hands Free Profile

Object Push Profile (either OBEX 1 or OBEX ALL)

You can go to the web site http://www.phonescoop.com to find out what Blue Tooth Profiles your cell phone uses.

Has any one had any success with the Cingular 8525 not dropping it's Blue Tooth Connection?[/url]

Hi Guys,

I received the 8525 a week ago and while my previous phone (blackberry 7300 cingular) was fine with bluetooth on Z1, the 8525 is exhibiting similar behavior as what you are seeing in your phones.

But mine is very intermittent. Sometimes I have chatted for 15mins without issues, sometimes it disconnects (voice goes to phone set only) within a few minutes. Sometimes when that bluetooth has dropped, I have seen that the 8525 is also in the midst of UMTS<->GPRS connection switch, but not always. My wife's treo650 works just fine, never had a disconnect. I believe it is purely a WM5 phone issue, I can almost believe this is a case with the windows OS. To eliminate Z1, I am going to try something else. I have a motorola HF820 bluetooth car kit/phone that I will use with 8525 in my 2nd car and see what happens...I will keep you posted.

In the meanwhile, I think what you received from the pioneer tech support is all standard bluetooth pairing stuff which is what everyone follows, I don't believe that is the problem though...

Phal

Okay, here is the result of two tests:

On one car, I tried 8525 with Motorola HF820 for about 10mins on a single call (most part of it on the freeway), no disconnection problem.

On my Q, I then tried 8525 with Z1 for about 10+mins on a single call (most part on freeway) and had no disconnect problem.

So not much help so to speak. So far Z1+8525, the drops are very intermittent, and all the time I have been on the freeway, there have been no drops (usually cell-signal is very strong on freeways - any effect of that on the WM based phones maintaining their bluetooth connection??).

I will keep on studying this issue as 8525 is my primary phone and I depend on bluetooth a lot.

I did more research...

Kept the 8525 to GSM only (no auto switching between GSM and UMTS) and the bluetooth still disconnected.

Tried the same by keeping UMTS only and same problem...

Still no luck as to what part of the 8525 is broken, Microsoft Driver or the bluetooth chip or any other ROM? But definitely a 8525 issue though.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the time this happens because BT is going into suspend mode to save power. The resolution is to use a registry editor on your PPC (I reccomend PHMedit) and do the following

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\ Suspend, add a new DWORD called btl1: (note the colon, the colorn must be there), with a DWORD value of 2. This will tell the PPC not to put BT into suspend mode and will maintain a constant bluetooth connection if another bt device is around

I've used a brand new Treo 650 on GSM since purchasing the Avic Z1 in Nov. 2006. The Bluetooth worked like a charm, no disconnetions, no problems.

All of a sudden 1 week ago... the Bluetooth disconnected in the middle of a conversation... and it would never reconnect again on it's own. The only time it would connect is if the call is initiated from the phone or there is an incoming call.

I tried a Nokia 6103 (Wife's simple flip phone) and it connected no problem. I called Treo and they said that the Pioneer is not on their compatability list. I insisted on sending the phone back to Palm for replacement under warranty. The new phone they sent me does almost the exact same thing as the previous phone did recently.

With the new replaced Treo 650, when the ignition is turned on and the Pioneer boots up... the bluetooth does connect for about 1 minute.... then the Blue Icon Phone on the Avic screen gets an "X" through it.... and I can't use any voice commands or initiate calls from the Avic. If the phone rings...the Avic then connects to the blue tooth...or if a call is initiated by the phone then the Bluetooth connects.

Anyone heard of this?? Or have suggestions??

I've been on hold with Pioneer for about 20 minutes so far. I'll fill everyone in if I hear anything.