AVIC411.com

Getting my first Pioneer.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump.

Can anyone confirm the largest size SD card the AVIC Z120 will accept? Brand recommendations?

if you can afford it, buy one with the highest "class" rating (2, 4, 6, 10). This is how data throughput on a SD card is rated. For example, you can't play back HD info on a lower class card, as it can't handle the video throughput. Class 6 should handle most video chores, and can also be used in many digital cameras for 720p HD video recording . . . protects the longevity of your investment.

I use a 32GB here. I believe classes just affect the write speed on the cards. If you're using it for an HD video cam, then yeah you need a fast one cuz of all the bits 720 or 1080 use up.

that's right, but what i meant was if your spending the money anyways, get a card you can use in more than one environment

Keep in mind before purchasing - there is a well known issue with Bluetooth and Mic. If you use it for calls, it will likely not be a great connection - but if you use a plugged in mic to your cell, it does not matter... Streaming BT music is perfect.

Yea... I found that out the hard way... I'm really pissed that I spent > $1K on a HU and can't use the Bluetooth for my phone.

Keep in mind before purchasing - there is a well known issue with Bluetooth and Mic. If you use it for calls, it will likely not be a great connection - but if you use a plugged in mic to your cell, it does not matter... Streaming BT music is perfect.

What's your phone? Mine's a Nokia 6133 - works fine - in a kinda noise Mazda 3

I run an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1.... My "gut" tells me it has a lot to do with Apple's implementation of the Bluetooth protocol, but I have a feeling it is a lot of how Pioneer has implemented it on the AVIC. Probably a combination of shitty coding by both vendors and microphone that isn't all that great.

I use an i4 with a DNX9960 and I have perfect BT audio so I don't think it has anything to do with the i4. BT complaints are numerous with this unit across multiple phones. And when it come to shitty coding, Pioneer is king.

we know, the Kenwood is AWESOME. lol. Sorry, but just as many people have Bluetooth that is completely acceptable with this unit, like me, and that's with a crappy old phone that likely has the first Bluetooth spec in it (cause' it doesn't have much else). My wife's BB Bold 9700 also sounded ok in my car with the Pioneer, so if anything, I'm more suspect that the installation process of the Pioneer goes wrong somewhere more often than the Kenwood, or, there's just MORE Pioneer units out there, hence more people commenting in general.

iPhone + Kenwood = crap. http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic. ... +mic#p7560

it's not JUST a Pioneer problem.

I run an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1.... My "gut" tells me it has a lot to do with Apple's implementation of the Bluetooth protocol, but I have a feeling it is a lot of how Pioneer has implemented it on the AVIC. Probably a combination of shitty coding by both vendors and microphone that isn't all that great.

You'd think that ANY iPhone would work great because of all the iPhone friendly concepts designed into the unit. Strange

Issues with BT sound (mic related - only during calls) occur with any phone I have tested (MT Android, (2) separate iPhones, random Blackberry).

It is a definite issue, and I wold guess most - if not all - have it.

I believe some here have never had a *good* BT in car system - and maybe this is adequate - but if you have had real BT in car (meaning a factory setup - like Lexus/Toyota etc), this just does not work.

I proper BT in car setup should have virtually *no* background noise. Out other cars have sound approaching a wired mic (to phone). Others can't tell you are on an open mic.

I would again, continue to make sure that anyone thinking about buying a Z110 or Z120 (note I am leaving off the BT mnemonic - because it's kinda silly), should know ahead of time that the thing - while having many good qualities (sound wise), has probably the worst BT call performance of any HU available.

Really, until something is done, there should be a thread that gets stickied - because this is {IMHO} a huge issue.

Issues with BT sound (mic related - only during calls) occur with any phone I have tested (MT Android, (2) separate iPhones, random Blackberry).

It is a definite issue, and I wold guess most - if not all - have it.

I believe some here have never had a *good* BT in car system - and maybe this is adequate - but if you have had real BT in car (meaning a factory setup - like Lexus/Toyota etc), this just does not work.

I proper BT in car setup should have virtually *no* background noise. Out other cars have sound approaching a wired mic (to phone). Others can't tell you are on an open mic.

I would again, continue to make sure that anyone thinking about buying a Z110 or Z120 (note I am leaving off the BT mnemonic - because it's kinda silly), should know ahead of time that the thing - while having many good qualities (sound wise), has probably the worst BT call performance of any HU available.

Really, until something is done, there should be a thread that gets stickied - because this is {IMHO} a huge issue.

I just put the Pioneer in a new Sienna. It had factory BT, now I have the z120 BT, and there's not much difference, neither one is great. They both sounded more or less like speaker phones with a bit of background noise(this is with me on a landline, talking to my wife ). If I had to pick, I'd say the factory system was a bit better, but that's about it.

This is with an iPhone 3GS. When I use my iPhone 4, my wife says it sounds fine, but I think she's less picky about it.