AVIC411.com

Is there anyone on the forum that is good with fiberglass or plastic molding? I am asking to see if someone is willing to make a safety mod for the Z1? Something like a blank face to go over it so it is not "eye candy" for anyone passing by your vehicle. We've already read on here that someone has had their Z1 stolen and this thing has not been on streets long. I do not have the skills for that.

Navyguy
I was actually thinking that you could take the look of a stock crappy radio and try to mold it so that a cover looked like a stock ford (or whatever) radio. A plain smooth face is easy to make but I think makes it look like you are hiding something. If it looked like a regular stock radio, couple of fake buttons which don't do anything, maybe a silkscreen so it really looked like a radio... I think it could look good and 99% of people would see a stock radio sticking out of the dash a bit. I think it would be good. But a prototype would be expensive since I have no plastic molding equipment.
When I first put my D1 in, I was super paranoid about theft at school, so I made a paper "faceplate".

I took a picture of the stock radio, printed it on matte card stock, and could stick it on top of the D1.

It looked very convincing, but I never used it.
Many years ago I remember reading an article in a car audio magazine where someone had taken their stock radio apart and created a dummy faceplate. Using the pieces from the front of the stock radio they made a cover for their new head unit that made it look like the factory stereo. I still have my stock radio but it sounds like a lot of work. I haven't convinced myself to spend the time on this yet.
I was thinking maybe we can use torx screws to mount the Z1 instead of using standard flathead or phillips screws that can be removed easily. They don't necessarily have to be torx screws but mainly some kind of screws that most thiefs will not have the tools to remove. I haven't done it yet but it will definitely be something I'll be looking into. Just an idea.
[quote name="palacios"]I was thinking maybe we can use torx screws to mount the Z1 instead of using standard flathead or phillips screws that can be removed easily. They don't necessarily have to be torx screws but mainly some kind of screws that most thiefs will not have the tools to remove. I haven't done it yet but it will definitely be something I'll be looking into. Just an idea.[/quote]
Having fixed cars that had headunits stolen...Most thieves don't use tools but, brute force.
[quote name="stryfox"] [quote name="palacios"]I was thinking maybe we can use torx screws to mount the Z1 instead of using standard flathead or phillips screws that can be removed easily. They don't necessarily have to be torx screws but mainly some kind of screws that most thiefs will not have the tools to remove. I haven't done it yet but it will definitely be something I'll be looking into. Just an idea.[/quote]
Having fixed cars that had headunits stolen...Most thieves don't use tools but, brute force.[/quote]

Well, then there's the 1970's "Conversion Van" approach that I actually saw once:

Spot weld/solder razor blades to the sides of the Z1 chassis :shock:

You might wind up with some blood on your carpeting, but then, you might not mind.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest jayse
I'm so surprised they don't have any theft deterants for this unit. Just a cover - or even a locking cover - or SOMETHING.

Mine's in an xb and high up and easy to see. :-(

If anyone makes a cover - sell them!
Being a victim of auto theft in the past, I didn't want my Z1 to be added temptation. I fabricated a cover from a 4.25" by 7.25" piece of stock ABS plastic. It looked great, but still like I was trying to hide something, so I added some personal touches. Bottom line... I don't think anyone will be breaking into by car to steal my grocery list. Because all installs are a little different, I don't think this is something that I can create as a one size fits all. If you are interested, I can cut you a piece of plastic to whatever size you need to cover your Z1. Depending on size, it should only run around 6 bucks. If your intersted, just pm me.
I can cut you a piece of plastic to whatever size you need. Because each install is different (some are recesssed like mine, others are not) I can only provide the plastic. You would need to figure out the best way to mount it over your Z1. PM me if you are interested in a piece of the plastic. It is only about 6 bucks shipped.
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...